Fantastic Member

Default Doomsday Clock 11: Three Details

I've spent a long time thinking over three particular details in Doomsday Clock #11. Sometimes a detail is obviously significant, but is hard to fit into place. In this issue, the three that stuck out to me were the nature of Batman's fight with the U.S. military, the quick but strange reference to John Hinckley's attempted assassination of Ronald Reagan, and the profound clash in attitudes between Veidt's long, expository, plan-revealing speech in this issue and what he said about such speeches in Alan Moore's Watchmen #11.

I think these three details get to the heart of what the story is meant to accomplish overall, and lead me thinking that the big hero of the finale just may be… Johnny Thunder.

http://rikdad.blogspot.com/2019/10/d...-clock-11.html

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Ooooo, it's a good day when you get to read some delicious Rikdad analysis. Thank you, sir. Your insights are always appreciated.

BANNED

What a intricate analysis. It was only fitting that Superman gets his own retroactively added parents deaths in a effort to transform him into the grim brooding cynical avenging figure that is Batman. If Superman gives into his rage after becoming aware of the fact that Manhattan is the cause of his parents death and attacks him then he is broken and no more a saviour but a avenger thirsting for vengeance just like the Batman proving that he is no better than the next person but after knowing what Manhattan did he still tries to sympathize with Manhattan( Let's face it despite all his incredible power John has lost everything that makes him human thus he is a deity like figure whose tragedy is that he has lost sight of what it means being a human that he doesn't even realize that he is dissatisfied with his lot in life and is searching for some meaning by playing god in the DC universe.) and tries to reconnect him with his lost humanity without the situation degenerating into a brawl he would have proven to be a shining beacon of hope who will not let personal or any kind of considerations distract him from his duty of providing succour to his fellow man no matter what he may have done.
    Last edited by Desmark; 10-07-2019 at 01:09 AM.

You know, having a moment of anger and being upest at someone that took the lives of your loved ones, doesn't suddnly make you "a grim brooding cynical avenging figure". It's make you a human and you aren't a bad person if you want justice aganist them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    You know, having a moment of anger and being upest at someone that took the lives of your loved ones, doesn't suddnly make you "a grim brooding cynical avenging figure". It's make you a human and you aren't a bad person if you want justice aganist them.
    Correct but it seems that that's what it's going to come down to here where Superman giving into his anger and throwing a punch is going to be the end of everything and the end of the DC universe is going to occur if he engages in combat with Manhattan. So ultimately the message is that Superman doesn't have the luxury of acting on his human emotions no matter how justified it may feel but try to salvage the situation through dialogue that may lead to a solution for saving both the universes and Manhattan from himself. Of course opinions will differ on how he should comport himself in this situation where he confronts the person responsible for his parents death. Acting on his justified rage will not make him a bad person by any means but would indicate ultimately that Manhattan has succeeded in breaking him for that one crucial moment.
    Last edited by Desmark; 10-07-2019 at 01:49 AM.

impeccable analysis!
    I'm appreciating DClock more and more due to your blogs!

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I think I've sussed out the real reason behind all the DOOMSDAY CLOCK delays: Johns is religiously reading Rikdad's analyses of published issues and making adjustments to ensure that the final product surpasses Rikdad's expectations.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Spectacular Member

The Thunderbolt saving the day and stopping Veidt's plans make a lot of sense given the character is a genie and a genie grants wishes. Lamps and rings have been a theme in the series and lamps and rings are often associated with genies. In an odd way, Doctor Manhattan was like a genie to Carver Coleman but ended in tragedy.

A wish saving the day would be very similar to Final Crisis but I think it could work for Doomsday Clock's finale.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I think I've sussed out the real reason behind all the DOOMSDAY CLOCK delays: Johns is religiously reading Rikdad's analyses of published issues and making adjustments to ensure that the final product surpasses Rikdad's expectations.
    Haha, thanks. I have teetered between admiration of a classic in the making and a bit of nervousness that it will follow too much in the path of Infinite Crisis. I would not have expected so much still to be pending as #11 is behind us and many of the mysteries (at least the teases on the covers) remain unresolved. That said, I think the All Star #3 cover with Dr. Manhattan at the table is yet another indication that he was the Thunderbolt all along.