Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    I meant Superman as in the title of the comic. As in this book sucks. Sorry for the confusion.
    what specifically did you not like? just curious, I keep noticing people saying Damian was written out of character which I get (has anyone really wrote him the same way as morrison besides Tomasi anyways?)

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    (has anyone really wrote him the same way as morrison besides Tomasi anyways?)
    Oh there are plenty of writers who do as good as those two, or at least good enough to know how the character talks.
    - Gleason
    - Tynion
    - Glass
    - Percy
    - Johns
    - Priest
    - Whoever wrote the animated movies (including the TMNT crossover)
    - Your average fanfic writer
    - Whoever wrote Damian in that Red Hood fan film (even if his dialogue seemed to be a bit much for the actor playing him)
    - Freakin Lego Damian XD (sometimes...)

The only person I've seen screw Damian up worse than Bendis is whoever wrote that Ninja Batman movie. Bendis writes Damian as if the only thing he knows about the character is from reading his wiki page. He really should have just asked Tomasi or someone else to ghostwrite this issue for him. It still would have been sad because Jon is the way he is now. But it might have at least been good.

what specifically did you not like? just curious
    Aside from Damian's voice, the whole thing just...didn't feel like a serviceable reunion for the two after how much hype it was getting. Neither of them sounded like themselves, the magic of their dynamic was almost completely gone, and it just felt...rushed. Like it ended just as soon as it began. Part of the problem is that it's the same issue where Jon leaves. So that time had to be shared with him meeting his Saturn Girl, saying bye to his Dad, and all that other junk. But this issue should have been nothing but Super Sons and what very well could be their last adventure with just the two of them. I mean, I guess I shouldn't have expected too much since Bendis has never really come off like a big fan of Damian's (and his actions in these comics show he wasn't a fan of Jon either). But damn. I was at least expecting to smile at more than a hug.
    Last edited by Blue22; 10-10-2019 at 07:17 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Oh there are plenty of writers who do as good as those two, or at least good enough to know how the character talks.
    - Gleason
    - Tynion
    - Glass
    - Percy
    - Johns
    - Priest

The only person I've seen screw Damian up worse than Bendis is whoever wrote that Ninja Batman movie. Bendis writes Damian as if the only thing he knows about the character is from reading his wiki page. He really should have just asked Tomasi or someone else to ghostwrite this issue for him. It still would have been sad because Jon is the way he is now. But it might have at least been good.

Aside from Damian's voice, the whole thing just...didn't feel like a serviceable reunion for the two after how much hype it was getting. Neither of them sounded like themselves, the magic of their dynamic was almost completely gone, and it just felt...rushed. Like it ended just as soon as it began. Part of the problem is that it's the same issue where Jon leaves. So that time had to be shared with him meeting his Saturn Girl, saying bye to his Dad, and all that other junk. But this issue should have been nothing but Super Sons and what very well could be their last adventure with just the two of them. I mean, I guess I shouldn't have expected too much since Bendis has never really come off like a big fan of Damian's (and his actions in these comics show he wasn't a fan of Jon either). But damn. I was at least expecting to smile at more than a hug.
    Tom Taylor wrote a pretty good older jon as well in dceased.not to mention snyder. He wrote one of the coolest things like rock band with jon and damian during metal.he also wrote family superman punch in jl
    Edit-i thought you were talking about jon.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-10-2019 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Tom Taylor wrote a pretty good older jon as well in dceased
    And see, that's as old as Jon should have gotten. To where he and Damian are the same age. Can we trade that Jon for the canon one? If the end of the last DCeased is anything to go by, he needs to get the **** out of that universe, ASAP lol

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Tom Taylor wrote a pretty good older jon as well in dceased.not to mention snyder. He wrote one of the coolest things like rock band with jon and damian during metal.he also wrote family superman punch in jl
    Edit-i thought you were talking about jon.
    Snyder had some cool moments for the boys, that's for sure. Even early on, he had Damian, dressed as Batman (way too short to fool anyone), driving a van surrounded by the rest of the Bats, sass talking the other League members. And Band Super Sons, too cool of a concept. Even had Alfred on drums (who knew?).

But Bendis... Wow. Just completely whiffs on Damian. I mean, Batman Ninja was bad, yes. But at least it kept Damian's affinity for animals intact. Bendis, if not for editors, would probably keep spelling his name as "Damien" in the actual comics.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    what specifically did you not like? just curious, I keep noticing people saying Damian was written out of character which I get (has anyone really wrote him the same way as morrison besides Tomasi anyways?)
    No offense, I don’t want to be a jerk but I think you and I have already had at least 3 or 4 discussions about why I think this run is a poorly written mess. And I’m remembering at least one other time where you asked me to list my complaints for you just like you did right now-and I did. It’s not exactly a secret what my grievances are about this run.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 10-11-2019 at 08:07 AM.

Well I liked it. Can't see Damian joining the Legion anytime soon, though it might be fun for him to try. He'd get along with Wildfire.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Bendis can’t write Damian well at all, but I did enjoy the art. Pretty bad issue overall though, I’m really hoping Bendis dials down on his usage of Jon in the main books.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Bendis can’t write Damian well at all, but I did enjoy the art. Pretty bad issue overall though, I’m really hoping Bendis dials down on his usage of Jon in the main books.
    Well, considering they seemingly plan to send him to the future and only have him come to his folks to visit, you'll likely get your wish. Family-Man Superman was my favorite in a long-time, so between loss of that and characterization of Lois, I've already bowed out for the time being.

Works for me since I like Bendis’ voice for Clark, and after Tomasi’s Rebirth run I was all for focusing more on Clark. This isn’t how I would’ve gone about it but what can you do?

Is it weird that I'm now longing for a relaunch? I dropped Superman a few months back, bought the issue just... if they announced a relaunch I would be very happy.

This art reminded me of imaginext action figures I bought for my nephew when he was 4 or 5 or so. Bulky and blocks.
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

I hate how much i agree with this. Death in comics usually doesn't mean jack ****. At least if he was dead in Bendis' run there'd be a better chance of the next writer who comes along bringing him back to how he was xD

****, dying and coming back was actually pretty good for Damian lol
    Agreed.

Aged-up Jon must die so he can be reborn under a better writer than Bendis. And I'd like Luthor to have the dishonor of doing the deed. Preferably with a kryptonite crowbar.

#killjonsamuelkent

What a waste of a unique partnership. Jon was a breathe of fresh air and this is what bendis turned him into? bendis can't write Damian to save his life.

This is a mess. I was hoping that the age up might not affect them so much what with Damian being a 13yr old who isn't teen like but boy was I wrong.

- Gleason
    - Tynion
    - Glass
    - Percy
    - Johns
    - Priest
    - Whoever wrote Damian in that Red Hood fan film (even if his dialogue seemed to be a bit much for the actor playing him)
    - Freakin Lego Damian XD (sometimes...)

Thank you.

Taylor
    lanzing and kelly
    Jurgens
    Esposito
    Seeley
    Orlando
    the person who wrote the Damian and Grundy story for the Rebirth Halloween special. All these writers along with those Blue 22 mentioned wrote him since Rebirth. The truth is that only a handful of writers don't know how to write Damian and bendis is at the top of that list.

@dragonpiece wondering if anyone outside of Morrison or Tomasi has written Damian correctly? Yes about 90% of his writers but even if that wasn't the case does that mean we should like the abomination that bendis presents us with? Nope