Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

They brought back the older characters because of the stories that were being told or because editorial doesn't have the balls to maintain their ideas. There are still people who argue that Sam never should have stopped being Captain America and that preferred Jane as Thor. Kamala Khan is selling better than Carol's book (which is selling more than both Captain America and Iron Man with their classic roles). The point was that when Marvel did this, people liked it for the most part. I haven't really seen anyone all that happy about them doing it with 5G.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    They brought back the older characters because of the stories that were being told or because editorial doesn't have the balls to maintain their ideas. There are still people who argue that Sam never should have stopped being Captain America and that preferred Jane as Thor. Kamala Khan is selling better than Carol's book (which is selling more than both Captain America and Iron Man with their classic roles). The point was that when Marvel did this, people liked it for the most part. I haven't really seen anyone all that happy about them doing it with 5G.
    I think the people who were for the mantle changes liked it, but the people who didn't were not as big a fan of it. It's why the ANAD era was as divisive as it was.

I mean, there are Thor fans who still get really testy whenever the topic of Jane Foster comes up and how he was handled after the mantle change.

Last I checked, I think Kamala's current book is selling pretty low...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the people who were for the mantle changes liked it, but the people who didn't were not as big a fan of it. It's why the ANAD era was as divisive as it was.

I mean, there are Thor fans who still get really testy whenever the topic of Jane Foster comes up and how he was handled after the mantle change.

Last I checked, I think Kamala's current book is selling pretty low...
    Kalama's book does really well in trades.

While I liked many of the stories in ANAD and was sad to see it go, I do think a problem Marvel had was diminishing the older heroes to prop up the new ones. I feel like of Thor, say, became king or Asgard and was happy doing an evolution of his role I'm stead of being in his lowest point, people wouldn't have been so bitter. The perception was that they were insulting the old to prop up the new. I hope DC steers clear of that cause Diana doesn't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post

While I liked many of the stories in ANAD and was sad to see it go, I do think a problem Marvel had was diminishing the older heroes to prop up the new ones. I feel like of Thor, say, became king or Asgard and was happy doing an evolution of his role I'm stead of being in his lowest point, people wouldn't have been so bitter. The perception was that they were insulting the old to prop up the new. I hope DC steers clear of that cause Diana doesn't need it.
    I definitely think that was part of it.

The HydraCap storyline certainly did not endear people anymore to Sam's storyline, whether the plan was for it all to coincide in the real Steve coming back or not...and then Bruce Banner got a dumb death, Iron Man got replaced in five minutes by a random new girl, etc.

I definitely think DC is going to have to be very careful how they handle these 5G characters and implementing them. They're starting with Wonder Woman, so that'll be probably the biggest hurdle.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think part of it for me is that DC has such a difficulty promoting or using Diana in general, and now they just replace her? Your lead female heroine who you can hardly give the kind of spotlight and quality she deserves and you just up and give the mantle to someone else and (potentialy) relegate her to a WWII team book (I love the JSA, but still)?

Not to mention that in all likelihood this new Wonder Woman will just divide her fandom.
    Yeah. The Batman situation is still very annoying (all of these are), but at least an argument can be made that there is a wealth of older material that utilizes him and his entire world well. Not to mention other media.

They barely do anything with Wonder Woman when she is one of their premiere characters, 1/3 of their big three. She has very few other media appearances where she is the star that would get people to know her world more. Several of her supporting cast, villains and locations are under developed and have untapped potential in their interactions with HER. And she has no problem getting new fans as the movie shows. This is just a tedious waste of time that will create yet more fandom divisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    That at most seems to indicate that it was divisive at best, not that most people were happy with it. When I think of a successful legacy change, Wally West spring to mind. Nothing that came out of ANAD lasted that long or was that warmly received. And like Frontier said, the way the older characters were replaced made it seem like they were being undervalued by the company they helped build and played a role in fandom rejection. Similarly, on the DC side of the fence, it's probably why Hal's return happened sooner and seemed less forced than Barry's.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    Digital is also known to be a strong market for it.

I’m my usual optimistic self about this, until I’m proven wrong.

Conceptually, it’s interesting that they want to return to real-time, with some temporal hiccups, again and what that means.

Strategy-wise, it’s also intriguing that there’ll be new characters taking on the heroic mantles and a status quo change that provides new opportunities for stories and a vast amount of time’s past stories to explore DC’s history and longevity.

Clearly they’re looking for a DCnU sales bump too, for fans to see the all-new DCU and learn its secret histories. But I’m not sure they can bank on a DCnU effect, because: once bitten twice shy.

Historically-wise, it reminds me of TPTB attempting to do a turn at the now classic launch of the Silver Age with new characters like Hal Jordan, Katar Hol, Barry Allen, etc. But, this is more slick in trying make it happen, than what happened over years before.

That’s everything that immediately came to mind, upon reading your post.

But, realistically-wise, I question if they are thinking any of the things I’m thinking and/or if they have the ability to pull any of it off (their ideas) without me as a consultant and project manager to help steer the way.

Now that I think about it, does this mean Steve Orlando will be the last person to write Diana as the lead of the actual Wonder Woman book?

It's very possible he got the gig but cause he is what DC needs to lead Diana there narrative wise.

Having read the report from DC's YotV panel at NYCC, and then taking the various rumours about the new timeline into account, I think it's rather clear that DC is currently working on lots of all-encompassing and interconnected stories. I also have the impression that planning for those are rather centralised to a select group of writers and editors, and those writers on the outside mainly gets marching orders on where they are to take their titles.

I'm fairly sure that Orlando is a far better fit for that in DC's eyes than Wilson. But it also means that Wonder Woman's title will be moved further down in the creative pecking order at DC.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Funny thing is the idea of Diana being the first superhero and debuting during WWII, with Superman debuting decades later, was part of my idea for a new Earth reality that I've been peddling a couple years now. So that doesn't sound at all bad to me. Unfortunately its all the rest that I hate.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Funny thing is the idea of Diana being the first superhero and debuting during WWII, with Superman debuting decades later, was part of my idea for a new Earth reality that I've been peddling a couple years now. So that doesn't sound at all bad to me. Unfortunately its all the rest that I hate.

I was leery about this whole idea when I only skimmed the headlines. Reading through a few more speculative write ups, it seems they're trying for a RT timeline for the DCU.

Theoretically, I'm stoked that Diana is the first hero to debut in this proposed timeline as Wonder Woman. It makes head-canon sense to me as well.

If there are G5 replacements for the Trinity, I hope it's because there are legitimate reasons for this. With Wonder Woman, perhaps it's because Diana must take the crown and become Queen of the Amazons. Hopefully, she'll need to rule over a country and people that's not isolated or reductive. And so she must name a successor to become Wonder Woman (and ambassador).

As for Donna, I will cautiously hope for something decent (for her and the Titans).

Extraordinary Member

It feels evidently to be Naomi

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    It feels evidently to be Naomi
    She has absolutely no ties to Wonder Woman or her mythos though.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Look at this great idea. Just out here for free.
    Yeah I like the idea of Giganta trying to be Wonder Woman...but my vote goes to Mayfly.