Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Bendis did say that Conner would be getting a new codename eventually.
    Which I'm all for. He and Tim and the rest should be in their 20s by now, anyway, if not for age-resets, and too old for "boy" and "girl" titles. But I don't want him Superman. I really want him to be his own thing. Fits thematically with early Superboy stories to me. Of course, I never liked his origin retcon, either, so what I want definitely does not matter. I would say I expect a "Super" name, but given that Tim seemingly ended up "Drake" (no, I don't like it anymore than "Troia") ...who knows. Hope he gets a good one that his fans like, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Which I'm all for. He and Tim and the rest should be in their 20s by now, anyway, if not for age-resets, and too old for "boy" and "girl" titles. But I don't want him Superman. I really want him to be his own thing. Fits thematically with early Superboy stories to me. Of course, I never liked his origin retcon, either, so what I want definitely does not matter. I would say I expect a "Super" name, but given that Tim seemingly ended up "Drake" (no, I don't like it anymore than "Troia") ...who knows. Hope he gets a good one that his fans like, though.
    "Should" would make Bruce old. And the people in charge are very adverse to that sort of thing.

Then again, they did age up a 10 year old into a 17-18 year old, with another age-up seemingly coming. So, what do I know?
    Yeah, STILL rankled about it.

"Should" would make Bruce old. And the people in charge are very adverse to that sort of thing.
    Not that old - still in his 40s. I'm just talking about Tim's age relative to Damian's, though. He was 7 years older than Damian (I thought), so should be 20 now, and Kon about a year older, biologically (well until the freeze). Even with just the newer continuity, Tim should be 18 (since, as I understand it, he started at 15 to Damian's 10 in New52). I thought he was, because of the supposed college trip, but then someone told me it was still 16. I'm okay if characters don't age, but if they do age, I want them all to age at the same rate.

Then again, they did age up a 10 year old into a 17-18 year old, with another age-up seemingly coming. So, what do I know?
    Me too. I hate speed-aging. Even for Wally's kids. And this already happened with Lois and Clark's first child, Chris.

There's actually fewer of these issues with Wonder Woman, simply because they won't let her keep a cast, and she doesn't adopt kids like Batman and Green Arrow are wont to. But with Cassie tied to Tim's generation, and Donna to Dick's, and a desire to keep/revert the trinity to no later than 30s ....it can be a mess. Still, I mean, didn't Vanessa de-age for her highschool graduation (having previously been in college) or am I misrembering? Poor little Robert definitely did some soap opera aging relative to the other characters. Of course a mess is a valid reason to start over (as with New 52) but the execution there did not work.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 10-10-2019 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Wasn't Donna a Leaguer immediately before Flashpoint?
    Yes, she was. Diana invited her to join the JLA along with Batman(Dick Grayson), Hal Jordan, Supergirl if memory serves.
    Last edited by NYCER; 10-10-2019 at 01:15 PM.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

I didn't read any DC from 2012 to 2016, and don't read nearly as much as I used to.

Whoever they pick, I can return to the pattern of the Impostor Years.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post
    Yes, she was. Diana invited her to join the JLA along with Batman(Dick Grayson), Hal Jordan, Supergirl if memory serves.
    Justice League of America (2006-2011) issues 40-60. This was following the Blackest Night storyline. Dick took up the mantle of Batman. Together, he and Donna assembled their JLA team including Cyborg, Starfire and later Jessie Quick, Jade and Supergirl. I liked how the former proteges stepped in for their mentors. It was an opportunity to allow these characters to really shine but, Dick felt a bit flat as the "likeable" Batman and Donna came across as little more than WW-lite. Whomever DC decides to take up the mantle of WW, I hope they get better treatment than some of the predecessors. Artemis who's unwitting purpose of taking on the role was to die, Donna as WW-lite captured and worn as Giganta's necklace, Hippolyta who was retconned to be the WWII WW and was space-fried by aliens while wearing the golden eagle armor. Seems like anyone who steps in for Diana is doomed for failure.

I'm not so bothered by the idea of Diana being replaced for a time, but I'm immensely bothered by the idea of her origin getting rewritten for the umpteenth time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    It will be Giganta.
    Look at this great idea. Just out here for free.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post

Apparently not as the current plan according to their published timeline has Bruce being born during the 30s or 40s.

Extraordinary Member

DC copies Marvel’s bad idea and makes it worse.

What a surprise.

Well guess what, you freewheeling lunatics? The only people who can AFFORD to buy a slew of your comics now are the people like ME, who can fork over $3.99 per issue ($8.00 Australian) and hope it’s worth it this month.

So good luck selling to people who aren’t in their 40s and 50s with steady jobs and fixed incomes. I’ll be over at Marvel and Dark Horse, waiting for this rubbish to tank like your New 52 fiasco.
    Last edited by brettc1; 10-11-2019 at 04:52 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post

What a surprise.

Well guess what, you freewheeling lunatics? The only people who can AFFORD to buy a slew of your comics now are the people like ME, who can fork over $3.99 per issue ($8.00 Australian) and hope it’s worth it this month.

So good luck selling to people who aren’t in their 40s and 50s with steady jobs and fixed incomes. I’ll be over at Marvel and Dark Horse, waiting for this rubbish to tank like your New 52 fiasco.
    This exactly.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post

What a surprise.

Only people liked it and were into the idea when Marvel did it.

Sam Wilson's tenure as Captain America, Jane Foster's as Thor, and Laura Kinney's as Wolverine were all long-lasting successes that raised the profiles of those characters, and Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel is now one of Marvel's biggest characters in general.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Only people liked it and were into the idea when Marvel did it.

Sam Wilson's tenure as Captain America, Jane Foster's as Thor, and Laura Kinney's as Wolverine were all long-lasting successes that raised the profiles of those characters, and Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel is now one of Marvel's biggest characters in general.
    If it was a long lasting success, wouldn't they all have held onto the mantles? Didn't they backtrack because people wanted the real deals back?

Is Jane selling as well now that she's Valkyrie? Or did she need to be in the main headlining book to sell?

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    If it was a long lasting success, wouldn't they all have held onto the mantles? Didn't they backtrack because people wanted the real deals back?

Is Jane selling as well now that she's Valkyrie? Or did she need to be in the main headlining book to sell?
    That's exactly what happened. They just kept the new characters and tossed them around, but they had to bring back the older characters.

I think part of it for me is that DC has such a difficulty promoting or using Diana in general, and now they just replace her? Your lead female heroine who you can hardly give the kind of spotlight and quality she deserves and you just up and give the mantle to someone else and (potentialy) relegate her to a WWII team book (I love the JSA, but still)?

Not to mention that in all likelihood this new Wonder Woman will just divide her fandom.