Page 22 of 135 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast

And part of that taint is when people who aren't doing those things and are voicing perfectly reasonable criticisms get lumped in with the ones who take it too far.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    And part of that taint is when people who aren't doing those things and are voicing perfectly reasonable criticisms get lumped in with the ones who take it too far.
    It must suck to be stereotyped
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I'm looking at future solicitations and this 5G thing might be real...Morrison is taking Hal out of GL stuff and that was probably the first hint of Hal getting "replaced". Morrison is also getting rid of the GLC as told in a solicitation.

GREEN LANTERN: BLACKSTARS #1
    "What has Hal Jordan done? Following the catastrophic events of The Green Lantern #12, no Green Lanterns can be found patrolling their space sectors...and not a single power ring lights the darkness. Across the universe, once-familiar faces now wear a different uniform and enforce a new type of galactic law. The Green Lantern Corps is dead—long live the Blackstars! Who are they? What are they? Answers will be revealed as the unstoppable Blackstars set their sights on the demons of Ysmault, Mongul...and a tiny, backwater planet called Earth. A dangerous new chapter of the Green Lantern mythology starts now!
    It could be very possible that when the new lantern takes up the role they'll still won't be a corps. Or maybe they'll be in the mend.

Quote Originally Posted by Decoy View Post
    Well, there’s talk of Teen Lantern becoming the Main GL (not surprising seeing as how Bendis already had a similar Teenager get the high powered armor and replace the established hero bit in Iron Man)......

Will the villains be replaced too? Or will there be a mix of established foes and new takes on old villains? (Like a second Mirror Master, a upgraded Metallo, another Luthor)

I wonder if we’ll see Batgirl and Supergirl as the older heroes (I don’t think there’s any Kryptonian teenage girls running around other than Kara)......imagine.....Batwoman and Superwoman/ Power Girl.....
    I hope the new gen actually gets fresh villains with their own new concepts like how they did in the Batman Beyond cartoon. They created villains that connected to Terry, not Bruce, and when an old one did come back (Joker) it was special.

I hope that some perpetually teenage characters get to age as well. I hope Barbara can get the Oracle title back while Kara also grows into something

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I agree that no one wants to see their favorites replaced. The problem that skyvolt was pointing to is the completely uncalled for and immature behavior over the replacement of characters that are absolutely guaranteed to return. It would be one thing to say, “I have no interest in Luke Fox as Batman” but more often than not, that is not the end of it. You get death threats directed towards employees, hate campaigns created before a single issue has hit shelves, multiple videos about how much this new replacement sucks (often by people who don’t even read the books) and just overall embarrassing behavior that taints the entire fandom.
    But like Dataweaver said, don't lump every fan who takes issue with this into the same group as those nutcase assholes who make a bad name for the rest of it.

Yeah characters are bound to return, but after what another 2 years or so? On top of maybe not having a great direction before that, so we're already starved for good content with out favorite characters? Within reason, that's a perfectly valid thing to complain about.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    But like Dataweaver said, don't lump every fan who takes issue with this into the same group as those nutcase assholes who make a bad name for the rest of it.

Yeah characters are bound to return, but after what another 2 years or so? On top of maybe not having a great direction before that, so we're already starved for good content with out favorite characters? Within reason, that's a perfectly valid thing to complain about.
    Some of these characters have been around for over 60 years. If the direction is THAT bad a fan must quit, Im sure theres a few good stories in said characters history that the fan can enjoy.
    'Starving' is pushing it
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Some of these characters have been around for over 60 years. If the direction is THAT bad a fan must quit, Im sure theres a few good stories in said characters history that the fan can enjoy.
    I think the logic of "If you don't like it, then stop reading" is exactly what this initiative would not need. Goes back to what I said concerning the need for better communication between fans and creators.

'Starving' is pushing it
    Well, currently there's plenty of classic characters who are still active, yet aren't doing anything of substance. If you also take away many of the characters who are actually doing something substantial, then you're indeed starving your fanbase.

One thing I haven't seen much speculation on is the creative teams.

Tom King will be done with his run on Batman and James Tynion is just a placeholder...all we know is that Bendis is likely not writing the Luke Fox Batman. I dunno, maybe Bryan Hill will want to write black Batman?

Bendis has been doing all this character shifting with Jon, and in some ways making him more like his dad, so I wonder if he'll write Jon as Superman.

Steve Orlando looks like he might be the last writer on the Wonder Woman solo book to write the original Wonder Woman.

I can see Joshua Williamson being done on The Flash by the time the next big Crisis event story happens. I can see him wrapping up his run by then.

Kelly Sue DeConnick brought Aqualad in and if the plan was to do that to set up a replacement storyline, will she also be writing 5G!Aquaman?
    Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    It could be very possible that when the new lantern takes up the role they'll still won't be a corps. Or maybe they'll be in the mend.
    It really sounds like we're getting a new Kyle.
    I hope the new gen actually gets fresh villains with their own new concepts like how they did in the Batman Beyond cartoon. They created villains that connected to Terry, not Bruce, and when an old one did come back (Joker) it was special.
    It's so hard to develop original Rogues Galleries though...heck, I can see Superman, WW, and Aquaman fans being disappointed because they're villains hardly get any love as is.
    I hope that some perpetually teenage characters get to age as well. I hope Barbara can get the Oracle title back while Kara also grows into something
    I wonder if they'll move Babs out of being Batgirl again. I guess if they're replacing Barry Allen, chances are they'll do the same for her.

I don't know if we need another Supergirl.

That's where I'm at. I've been around the block a few times, I know how things work. Of course the classic characters will return to their roles in due time. But due time is a relative term, and there comes a point when a fan is just tired of waiting for due time to pass over and over and over. It can get exhausting. The younger me would have just been like, okay I'll wait this out. But I've played the waiting game with DC more than enough times now. Last time I waited around it paid off into something I enjoyed, only for it to get wiped out. And I'm older, more impatient than I used to be, and I have other hobbies that I can enjoy in the now, and actually enjoy it more than waiting out bad ideas. That's what me being a superhero fan feels like these days, more waiting out bad ideas than enjoying the moment.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Tom King will be done with his run on Batman and James Tynion is just a placeholder...all we know is that Bendis is likely not writing the Luke Fox Batman. I dunno, maybe Bryan Hill will want to write black Batman?

Bendis has been doing all this character shifting with Jon, and in some ways making him more like his dad, so I wonder if he'll write Jon as Superman.

Steve Orlando looks like he might be the last writer on the Wonder Woman solo book to write the original Wonder Woman.

I can see Joshua Williamson being done on The Flash by the time the next big Crisis event story happens. I can see him wrapping up his run by then.

Kelly Sue DeConnick brought Aqualad in and if the plan was to do that to set up a replacement storyline, will she also be writing 5G!Aquaman?
    I think they are gonna need to stack the creative team if Luke as Batman is gonna have a shot.

Incredible Member

'Starving' is pushing it
    Thats always my policy. If im not liking what im reading id be a fool to keep buying it. Theres a huge back catalogue of great stuff from DC and a zillion other publishers.

Just go somewhere else - plenty people desparate to tell you a story!

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    Thats always my policy. If im not liking what im reading id be a fool to keep buying it. Theres a huge back catalogue of great stuff from DC and a zillion other publishers.

Just go somewhere else - plenty people desparate to tell you a story!
    Except it's not like DC fans only read DC comics. We're already giving those "desperate" people our attention and money when we are interested in their content.

When I'm craving a Wonder Woman story, I'm not going to any of them. And her back catalogue is nowhere near as impressive as Batman's. I can only re-read my favorite runs so many times. I'm not gonna keep buying something I don't enjoy, I already do that when a comic isn't telling a good story with the actual main character, but I'm sick of that being what I have to do. It's not some revolutionary idea that fans want to be excited for the characters they care about in new things.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I'm looking at future solicitations and this 5G thing might be real...Morrison is taking Hal out of GL stuff and that was probably the first hint of Hal getting "replaced". Morrison is also getting rid of the GLC as told in a solicitation.

GREEN LANTERN: BLACKSTARS #1
    "What has Hal Jordan done? Following the catastrophic events of The Green Lantern #12, no Green Lanterns can be found patrolling their space sectors...and not a single power ring lights the darkness. Across the universe, once-familiar faces now wear a different uniform and enforce a new type of galactic law. The Green Lantern Corps is dead—long live the Blackstars! Who are they? What are they? Answers will be revealed as the unstoppable Blackstars set their sights on the demons of Ysmault, Mongul...and a tiny, backwater planet called Earth. A dangerous new chapter of the Green Lantern mythology starts now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Decoy View Post
    Well, there’s talk of Teen Lantern becoming the Main GL (not surprising seeing as how Bendis already had a similar Teenager get the high powered armor and replace the established hero bit in Iron Man)......

Will the villains be replaced too? Or will there be a mix of established foes and new takes on old villains? (Like a second Mirror Master, a upgraded Metallo, another Luthor)

I wonder if we’ll see Batgirl and Supergirl as the older heroes (I don’t think there’s any Kryptonian teenage girls running around other than Kara)......imagine.....Batwoman and Superwoman/ Power Girl.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

It really sounds like we're getting a new Kyle.

It's so hard to develop original Rogues Galleries though...heck, I can see Superman, WW, and Aquaman fans being disappointed because they're villains hardly get any love as is.

I wonder if they'll move Babs out of being Batgirl again. I guess if they're replacing Barry Allen, chances are they'll do the same for her.

I don't know if we need another Supergirl.
    I could see Williams either staying on Flash or moving to another big name. While it's more likely Bendis will stick on Superman I hope he doesn't. He's been hit or miss for me lately.

I do wonder what Sunder will do. We already know he's doing a Diana led JSA but I wonder if he'd be interested in a present day one? Maybe Superman?

Also, I meant that Kara keeps being Supergirl but one that isn't a teenager. So I guess more like Power girl.

Incredible Member

Except it's not like DC fans only read DC comics. We're already giving those "desperate" people our attention and money when we are interested in their content.

When I'm craving a Wonder Woman story, I'm not going to any of them. And her back catalogue is nowhere near as impressive as Batman's. I can only re-read my favorite runs so many times. I'm not gonna keep buying something I don't enjoy, I already do that when a comic isn't telling a good story with the actual main character, but I'm sick of that being what I have to do. It's not some revolutionary idea that fans want to be excited for the characters they care about in new things.
    Thats life though. You get a run or an arc you really love and then a lot of whatever. Thats just the nature of the beast.

This whole things feels like it will be a disaster. I can't imagine that anyone really cares about another generation of heroes when most feel the heroes they follow and like are constantly getting slighted because DC is crowded enough already.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I agree that no one wants to see their favorites replaced. The problem that skyvolt was pointing to is the completely uncalled for and immature behavior over the replacement of characters that are absolutely guaranteed to return. It would be one thing to say, “I have no interest in Luke Fox as Batman” but more often than not, that is not the end of it. You get death threats directed towards employees, hate campaigns created before a single issue has hit shelves, multiple videos about how much this new replacement sucks (often by people who don’t even read the books) and just overall embarrassing behavior that taints the entire fandom.
    I'm pretty sure people like Didio are on record saying they would rather have readers be upset and angry than indifferent. He said something like that. Since angry fans still buy and talk about the books they hate while indifferent people don't. So I think that having readers say they "hate" something is a response that DC sometimes goes after because they want to invoke that reaction from their fans. It kind of breeds a bad culture of readers reacting negatively to things even when DC doesn't want to have them react negatively.

If true, I find that to be an incredibly counterproductive tactic. Being in the reaction business isn't paying their bills. Doesn't even make sense when you keep in mind that the more you tend to piss people off, they would eventually get tired of it and stop caring. They would still get indifferent no matter what.