Page 58 of 135 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Pretty sure the main purpose of 5G is to boost the Black Label brand by moving all the big heroes to it. With vertigo gone, I’m sure they want that label to succeed. The main continuity sales will probably eventually fall before too long, but even that will probably not be as bad as some are predicting. A relaunch and a black Batman will get at least a fair bit of publicity. I’m not looking forward to it, but I can see what they’re going for.
    This is why i don't understand why some are getting bent. We've been down this road several times. We know how it ends [The big headliners always return]
    And the big headliners aren't going away not really. We'll still have Diana, Clark and the rest just under a different label.

The important thing is the execution. Fans said that Dick Grayson couldn't ever be batman and that it would fail but it turned out to be great. Sure some fans were still kicking and screaming till they brought Bruce back but that's to be expected.

5G might yet surprise fans.

If there's a lot of Black Label stuff, I'll be largely content. I don't need continuity that much anyway anymore. But it'll depend on the frequency of said content. I'm not as confident we'll get a bevvy of materials there. I hope that theory is correct, I'm just not completely counting on it. Beyond that though, for me I got so bent with the news because when it comes to mainline stuff, I've been around long enough for many of these types of dances and just I'm tired of waiting things out on the bleachers instead of the dance floor till the next playlist. I know how it ends of course, everyone will be back in their rightful roles eventually. But again I just don't know if I have it much in me to wait two years or whatever for that to happen again. There's other forms of entertainment I enjoy that don't require me to sit aside and wait out so many gimmicks.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    If there's a lot of Black Label stuff, I'll be largely content. I don't need continuity that much anyway anymore. But it'll depend on the frequency of said content. I'm not as confident we'll get a bevvy of materials there. I hope that theory is correct, I'm just not completely counting on it. Beyond that though, for me I got so bent with the news because when it comes to mainline stuff, I've been around long enough for many of these types of dances and just I'm tired of waiting things out on the bleachers instead of the dance floor till the next playlist. I know how it ends of course, everyone will be back in their rightful roles eventually. But again I just don't know if I have it much in me to wait two years or whatever for that to happen again. There's other forms of entertainment I enjoy that don't require me to sit aside and wait out so many gimmicks.
    Dc seems to be focusing on things like the lois lane book for kids, superman smashes klan and supersons. Other than just black label. Because it's the need of the hour. The market for the mainstream shared universe comics is a shrinking one. Things like manga and young adult books are it now. Surprisingly, it might return superman to his goldenage episodic roots with a focused larger narrative and not having to share importance . Regardless, there will be a 'clark kent' superman comics always.

Moving the main heroes to Black Label would just be kind of weird for me, because they've been spinning Black Label as this Elseworlds brand that's more "edgy" and "mature," so I'm not sure if it would be a good fit.

Quote Originally Posted by MosSuperman View Post
    Viking Judge was the character that made me pick up The Unexpected and they killed her immediately.
    Me too, she was one of the most striking out of the four and I liked the description of her being a mix of Brienne of Tarth with Thor like qualities.

I'm glad she seems to be alive but man if I could get a refund on time and money from a comic series it would be for that.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Pretty sure the main purpose of 5G is to boost the Black Label brand by moving all the big heroes to it. With vertigo gone, I’m sure they want that label to succeed. The main continuity sales will probably eventually fall before too long, but even that will probably not be as bad as some are predicting. A relaunch and a black Batman will get at least a fair bit of publicity. I’m not looking forward to it, but I can see what they’re going for.
    I don't actually think it's the main purpose, we don't even know how long Black Label has been an idea DC wanted to put into action while I think the idea of 5G is something that's been planned since before Bendis moved over to DC.

Will Black Label benefit from having a Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, Green Lantern, and Aquaman book sure, but Black Label has also proven itself to be an imprint full of delays and I expect that to continue with this whole double pages thing. Can an imprint be successful if its books don't come out on time...

And while we don't know how long these 5G changes will last and DC (and Marvel) have shown that they don't really stick to their guns like they claim, I do think people are underestimating DC, especially when they've shown to be stubborn.

And let's be the honest here, the main purpose of 5G is to appeal to new readers, no matter the reasons given, that's the main purpose and so I think people maybe need to take into consideration that outside of Batman, Wonder Woman, Superman, Green Lantern, Flash, and Aquaman with maybe Justice League, Young Justice, Legion, and JSA, the other books in 5G could be minis and maxis.

What's less intimidating for new readers than a small line of books to follow, it also means DC is putting less money in publishing which means more leniency on sales which means a longer shelf life for this 5G thing.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 12-10-2019 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    Me too, she was one of the most striking out of the four and I liked the description of her being a mix of Brienne of Tarth with Thor like qualities.

I'm glad she seems to be alive but man if I could get a refund on time and money from a comic series it would be for that.

I don't actually think it's the main purpose, we don't even know how long Black Label has been an idea DC wanted to put into action while I think the idea of 5G is something that's been planned since before Bendis moved over to DC.

Will Black Label benefit from having a Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, Green Lantern, and Aquaman book sure, but Black Label has also proven itself to be an imprint full of delays and I expect that to continue with this whole double pages thing. Can an imprint be successful if its books don't come out on time...

And while we don't know how long these 5G changes will last and DC (and Marvel) have shown that they don't really stick to their guns like they claim, I do think people are underestimating DC, especially when they've shown to be stubborn.

And let's be the honest here, the main purpose of 5G is to appeal to new readers, no matter the reasons given, that's the main purpose and so I think people maybe need to take into consideration that outside of Batman, Wonder Woman, Superman, Green Lantern, Flash, and Aquaman with maybe Justice League, Young Justice, Legion, and JSA, the other books in 5G will be minis and maxis.

What'a less intimidating for new readers than a small line of books to follow, it also means DC is putting less money in publishing which means more leniency on sales which means a longer shelf life for this 5G thing.
    If Didio is to be believed, new readers just read old stuff anyway which makes this 5G movement seem even more baffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    If Didio is to be believed, new readers just read old stuff anyway which makes this 5G movement seem even more baffling.
    If this is Didio's idea and he believes that than this whole 5G maybe isn't about new readers like I assumed but something else ...maybe this is just experimentation.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Damian will probably keep the Robin role.
    I feel like if they are doing a timeline in which all of the big names are different people, then everybody might as well just be different people.

BANNED

Besides what's mentioned in the article, he also wrote an episode of Justice League--Hearts and Minds, I think. There was a rumor that he and McDuffie didn't get along, but he's got credentials. Will be interesting to see where this goes. Would've thought there'd be more news on Wonder Woman by now since she's rumored to be the first to be replaced.

I’d say that’s a pretty good pick personally, he’s got a lot of good work under his belt in a lot of different projects some which I’ve seen. Plus I did enjoy both American Way comic volumes so honestly I think he’d make for a pretty good writer on this. Just give him a good artist by his side who will catch the attention of readers and I think you’d have something here.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

"Older Bruce Wayne sitting in the Batcave"? Is this going to take place in the future like Batman Beyond did. And if those rumors about the main heroes appearing in Black Label books during 5G turn out to be true, does that mean they would all be presented as elder statesmen.

I dont understand this timeskip thing, with next year being 2020 and having comics that are 10 years in the future or more. Seems like it could cause some confusion and complications with dates.
    Sure there has been comics set in the future before but they were kind of elsewords storylines.

Incredible Member

Looks like trying to live the dream of two sets of the "same" character at once like marvel tried with their ultimates line but set in same time line.

Im sceptical seeing as theyve been cutting main line books for years whilst keeping sales constant but flat. Its going to take a lot of new readers to appear and current readers to add to their pull list for it all to work imo. Black label books arent cheap but if i were reading batman, id just jump over to black label and leave 5g to other readers although i guess a lot of people will want to keep their unbroken runs on tec etc.

With this being Dan's idea I can't see this lasting long. New 52 for a bit was popular but then they cut comics left and right. I see this being the same situation.