Page 36 of 135 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    [Theoretically] I can drive Obama's car or wear his shoes or sit at his desk. Doesn't make me Obama.

Wielding the power of Thor may make you the God of Thunder. Doesn't make you Thor.

Or are you saying Thor Odinson doesn't have a name outside of the title "Thor"?

I didn't want to get into the Thor comment here since that seem more suiteable for marvel's thread, but Thor name wasn't originally Thor from what I've read, it's Odinson. It's the hammer that references that you're labeled as Thor once you're found worthy of wielding it. So I think that's the common misconception, people assume Thor was originally his birthname like it's original norse counterpart, when it's not.

I personally have no problem with her being named Thor. I know three people in my same department that shares my name, let alone all the Roberts on my own team, so having two Thor's isn't a big deal really.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    I didn't want to get into the Thor comment here since that seem more suiteable for marvel's thread, but Thor name wasn't originally Thor from what I've read, it's Odinson. It's the hammer that references that you're labeled as Thor once you're found worthy of wielding it. So I think that's the common misconception, people assume Thor was originally his birthname like it's original norse counterpart, when it's not.

I personally have no problem with her being named Thor. I know three people in my same department that shares my name, let alone all the Roberts on my own team, so having two Thor's isn't a big deal really.
    I am not norse story expert. Isn't the guy used to be worshipped. I am pretty sure. That's his name. I am a hindu. I would be pretty pissed if they started treating the name "ram" as some kind of title. DC even has him as a character. Two people can have same name. But, thor is thor no matter what.

Well, no, the inscription is that if you are worthy you shall have the power of Thor, not that you will actually be Thor once you wield it.

Thor has always been his name.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I am not norse story expert. Isn't the guy used to be worshipped. I am pretty sure. That's his name. I am a hindu. I would be pretty pissed if they started treating the name "ram" as some kind of title. DC even has him as a character. Two people can have same name. But, thor is thor no matter what.

Again, this isn't a direct norse representation. It's Norse influence yes, but it's the MU version of asgardians. And in the MU version of Norse, Thor's name isn't Thor, it's Odinson. His name becomes Thor when he's granted the power of the hammer, well that's what I've read anyway.
    People may be upset that Thor isn't his name in the MU universe, but that doesn't change the fact that it's not his name in the MU universe. And again, even if it was, two people can have the same name. If Thor was Thor, another person can be named Thor, just like many people share my name.

Again, this isn't Norse. It's Norse influence yes, but it's the MU version of asgardians. And in the MU version of Norse, Thor's name isn't Thor, it's Odinson. His name becomes Thor when he's granted the power of the hammer, well that's what I've read anyway.
    People may be upset that Thor isn't his name in the MU universe, but that doesn't change the fact that it's not his name in the MU universe. And again, even if it was, two people can have the same name. If Thor was Thor, another person can be named Thor, just like many people share my name.
    Aaron's actual run does not support this. He was called Thor before he could actually wield the hammer.

And it wasn't even the idea of two people sharing a name. Jane basically took the name while Thor couldn't use his own name while she was flying around with Mjolnir.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, no, the inscription is that if you are worthy you shall have the power of Thor, not that you will actually be Thor once you wield it.

Thor has always been his name.
    Exactly. Idk why that's so hard for people to understand. I guess it's because Thor has been turned into a superhero instead of remaining a pagan deity, so that's why they feel they can treat his name like the others. Yes, it did happen in the past with Eric Masterson, but guess what? He changed it because he was NOT Thor, and he said he didn't want to ride the coattails of someone else's name. My best guess as to the whole reason Jason Aaron INSISTED she was "Thor" was that he and everybody else knew that a Mjolnir-wielding Jane Foster led book would not have the same appeal as it would if they actually called the book "Thor" and referred to her as the new "Thor" when the actual Thor was out of commission, and they would not have a Thor book on the market at that time.
    Last edited by Cosmic Emerald 23; 10-21-2019 at 10:13 AM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Again, this isn't a direct norse representation. It's Norse influence yes, but it's the MU version of asgardians. And in the MU version of Norse, Thor's name isn't Thor, it's Odinson. His name becomes Thor when he's granted the power of the hammer, well that's what I've read anyway.
    I have no problem with another person having the same name. That doesn't mean the original guy ceases to be named that. They can say its norse influence. But, its still pretty iffy to me. I mean, they have odin, loki... Etc and others. Then again, it's just religion. As long as it isn't mean spirited and not being selective . I wouldn't mind.

Astonishing Member

Aaron's actual run does not support this. He was called Thor before he could actually wield the hammer.

And it wasn't even the idea of two people sharing a name. Jane basically took the name while Thor couldn't use his own name while she was flying around with Mjolnir.
    Well that leads to confliction, but that's not surprising seeing as writers often override each other so.

Actually it was the idea of two people sharing the same name, because when Jane transforms into Thor, she's no longer Jane but a completely different person that is mostly influence by Mjornir. That's why appearance was different, her speech was different, etc, she was a brand new person and this new persons name was Thor. It's not like spider man where you just put on a costume but still retain the same characteristics.

Well that leads to confliction, but that's not surprising seeing as writers often override each other so.
    Can you point to an issue of a Thor comic that established his name was not originally Thor?
    Actually it was the idea of two people sharing the same name, because when Jane transforms into Thor, she's no longer Jane but a completely different person that is mostly influence by Mjornir. That's why appearance was different, her speech was different, etc, she was a brand new person and this new persons name was Thor. It's not like spider man where you just put on a costume but still retain the same characteristics.
    Well, her persona was that of Thor but mentally she was still Jane Foster, hence the thought bubbles. But she was still Jane Foster, just calling herself Thor.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    Agree, but there would still probably be a Justice League with members that might not have their own books...
    Superman: Jon
    Batman: Luke
    Wonder Woman: ????
    Green Lantern: Teen Lantern grown up (?)
    Aquaman: Current unborn child of Arthur/Mera
    Flash: Wallace? Unborn child of Barry/Iris?
    Martian Manhunter: M'gann or the other-dimensional child of Kendra/J'onn?
    Cyborg: No idea who would succeed Vic...or maybe he's ageless due to his Cyborg attributes?
    Aquaman and Mera’s kid could be the new Aqualad. Orm as Aquaman

Why don’t we ever just get an Alien GL on Earth. Is 2814 only inhabited by Earth or something

Astonishing Member

Can you point to an issue of a Thor comic that established his name was not originally Thor?
    I'll look for the link. It read an article that reference a comic indicating his name was odinson. Once I'll find the link I'll post it.

Well, her persona was that of Thor but mentally she was still Jane Foster, hence the thought bubbles. But she was still Jane Foster, just calling herself Thor.

She definitely had elements of her own thoughts for certain, but she wasn't Jane. It wasn't her voice, it wasn't the way she spoke things, it wasn't her physical appearance. As mentioned before, it was a brand new person, a manifestation of both Jane Foster and the combine elements of Mjornir, this was specifically mentioned in the comics and is also the reason she had better control over Mjornir then Thor, because Thor was largely Mjornir.

I'll look for the link. It read an article that reference a comic indicating his name was odinson. Once I'll find the link I'll post it.
    From comic vine

Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 11.04.14 AM.png

Odinson is an epithet or last name if you want to be contemporary about it. Thor is the name, Odinson means Son of Odin (like Scott Thompson - ie. Son of Thom). Odinson is a descriptor of the person named Thor.
    Last edited by Ulysses; 10-21-2019 at 11:21 AM. Reason: switched examples for clarity
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    From comic vine

Odinson is an epithet or last name if you want to be contemporary about it. Thor is the name, Odinson means Son of Odin (like Scott Thompson - ie. Son of Thom). Odinson is a descriptor of the person named Thor.
    This.

All that said, Eric Masterson was Thor for a while if I remember correctly, before shifting to being Thunderstrike; so there's precedent for someone other than Thor Odinson being Thor.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Its not really a living religion like hinduism. Sure there are followers but its more of a revival or attempt to recreate the religion than an unbroken thread across the millenia.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    From comic vine

Another Two examples are Loki Laufeyson and Odin Borson. Thus Thor's full name is Thor Odinson.

Balder's name is also Balder Odinson because he is Thor's brother and Odin's son. Balder's "title" isn't Balder. That's his first name.

That said, Aaron was making a point about what the name Thor has come to mean to people. Jane took it as a title because of what being Thor is, and how the guy himself made it mean more than just his name, and how he'll even have to live up to what it's come to mean.

But it is 10000% his Odin given name and not an alter ego or a title.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.