Page 25 of 135 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575125 ... LastLast

I wouldn't say that's much of a metric.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Is Terry popular?
    I think he is, but in a certain context (much further along future with an old man Bruce and nobody else around) that it's be difficult to replicate.

Sidebar, I always thought it was kind of annoying that they had write off Bruce's relationship with Dick and establish that he could never live up to Bruce's legacy in order to make Terry happen as his first worthy successor.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I think he is, but in a certain context (much further along future with an old man Bruce and nobody else around) that it's be difficult to replicate.

Sidebar, I always thought it was kind of annoying that they had write off Bruce's relationship with Dick and establish that he could never live up to Bruce's legacy in order to make Terry happen as his first worthy successor.
    More like Dick would never want to be Batman given how far his relationship with Bruce deteriorated. Even if Dick were around, he'd be too old to be Batman by the time Terry shows up. It was more to explain why Bruce was completely alone and had to rely on a stranger rather than a (known) biological son to take on the mantle. Terry being a stranger allowed the audience to slowly discover how things turned out the way they did during the time jump.

I was very unhappy about that, as Dick was my favorite character. And I shipped DickBabs so the BruceBabs thing was terrible (Batman: TAS to New Batman Adventures was a real downer for me and I quit watching before it was over). But then it turns out look what happened to Tim. So in that universe, both "adopted" sons were unfit to take the mantle and the guy who was fit turned out to be Bruce's bio kid. Very distasteful.

I liked Terry, but hated pretty much everything that happened to the older characters and quit watching the show before it ended, but I don't remember when, exactly. At a guess I'd say I just wasn't interested enough to come back for season 3, since I know I made it to "April Moon." Watched some other DCAU stuff, of course.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I was very unhappy about that, as Dick was my favorite character. And I shipped DickBabs so the BruceBabs thing was terrible (Batman: TAS to New Batman Adventures was a real downer for me and I quit watching before it was over). But then it turns out look what happened to Tim. So in that universe, both "adopted" sons were unfit to take the mantle and the guy who was fit turned out to be Bruce's bio kid. Very distasteful.

I liked Terry, but hated pretty much everything that happened to the older characters and quit watching the show before it ended, but I don't remember when, exactly. At a guess I'd say I just wasn't interested enough to come back for season 3, since I know I made it to "April Moon." Watched some other DCAU stuff, of course.
    Batman Beyond's obsession with giving characters bad ends was the biggest flaw of the series.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    More like Dick would never want to be Batman given how far his relationship with Bruce deteriorated. Even if Dick were around, he'd be too old to be Batman by the time Terry shows up. It was more to explain why Bruce was completely alone and had to rely on a stranger rather than a (known) biological son to take on the mantle. Terry being a stranger allowed the audience to slowly discover how things turned out the way they did during the time jump.
    Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Batman Beyond's obsession with giving characters bad ends was the biggest flaw of the series.
    I think the "Bad End" for all the characters plays a big part in why I'd prefer Beyond as a possible future not a set in stone one even for DCAU Batman. No way Dick would be his successor at that point and he's naturally inclined not to want to be Batman (nor is it something Bruce wants for him). But them never reconciling and the reasons being because Dick couldn't live up to Bruce's standards create a dismissive attitude towards Dick, whether or not that is intentional on the part of the creators. But I don't think Timm likes Dick that much, and much like his preference for Batman over everyone else (particularly the other two Trinity members) it comes through a bit in the final product.

Like Tzigone, the early BTAS made be a Dick/Babs and Bruce/Selina shipper, so the Bruce/Babs thing that Beyond cemented gets a big "what the ****" from me. Also, the biological son being the best successor is a bit distasteful. Even when Morrison introduced Damian, he established that he wouldn't be as good a Batman as Dick.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    The type of aging that gen 2 got just doesn't happen anymore. Comics have really gotten static with characters from gen 3 and onward mostly stuck in the same age range (some even getting YOUNGER).

That's why I'm not so annoyed that Jon got aged before being young was cemented. That's why I'm also hoping this new timeline corrects some other ages.
    Damian grew three whole years. That's a small growth but growth nonetheless.

BANNED

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/10...-dc-comics-5g/

Sometimes BleedingCool knows more than they publish but will drop hints in the article. They bring up John Byrne in particular, even though we've seen various versions of this sort of reboot besides his work on Generations. Even though BleedingCool seems to dismiss Cassie, I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually her. I always like the idea of a girl being adopted by the Amazons and having a connection to them through her archaeologist mother. Cassie debuts in Gen 3, however. (This could also just mean that she's a young adult by the time Gen 5 rolls around.)

Anyway, I scanned the Generations wikipedia page, and the Wonder Girl in that story was a blonde named Stephanie "Stevie" Trevor, daughter of Steve and Diana. Given how long Wonder Woman has supposedly been operating in the 5G timeline, it's possible that she's had a daughter we don't know about. I could see DC dropping hints about Cassie then revealing that the new Wonder Woman is Stephanie/Stevie.

I think two direct descendants of the Trinity would be lame though.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    People are still asking for a Batman Beyond film.
    And a Batman Beyond Arkham game.
    And it's because the settling, yeah; but also because Terry was pretty charismatic.

Incredible Member

Bleeding cool saying this :

A new Batman, a new Superman, a new generation of DC Comics heroes. It was all starting to fit together. And now we know more. New first issue relaunches for both

There is no way on earth they are relaunching batman / tec / action / superman with new number ones - they already said it was a mistake doing that with the nu52.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    And a Batman Beyond Arkham game.
    And it's because the settling, yeah; but also because Terry was pretty charismatic.
    It is more than just Terry. It was everything about Batman Beyond - Terry, Bruce, the suit, the villains the cyber punk future. Everything about it made it memorable, interesting and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    Bleeding cool saying this :

A new Batman, a new Superman, a new generation of DC Comics heroes. It was all starting to fit together. And now we know more. New first issue relaunches for both

There is no way on earth they are relaunching batman / tec / action / superman with new number ones - they already said it was a mistake doing that with the nu52.
    They could have two numbers - a Gen5 number and a Legacy number. Or Batman/Tec/Action/Superman will all be reserved for other generations and the new heroes will have uniquely named books.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Or they're going to relaunch Batman and Superman - again - but not Tec or Action. Hell, they could run 'Tec and Action with their legacy numbers starring Bruce and Clark alongside Sensation Comics starring Diana if they really, really wanted to have their cake and eat it too.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    According to rumors they aren't going to strictly be replaced though, are they?

We at least know Bruce will be operating operating ala Oracle for the new Batman. It isn't a stretch to say that Clark, Diana, etc will also still be around.
    The problem with this is that they have to write out all the rest of the Batman family in order to fit in this new Batman and Bruce in his new role. So either Bruce will alienate himself from the Batman family and cut them all off so he can just operate with his new "replacement", or they will have to physically remove the Batman family, like forcing a story that prevents them from stepping in as Batman themselves. This will probably be the case for all the other big heroes too, which will be the biggest problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    The problem with this is that they have to write out all the rest of the Batman family in order to fit in this new Batman and Bruce in his new role. So either Bruce will alienate himself from the Batman family and cut them all off so he can just operate with his new "replacement", or they will have to physically remove the Batman family, like forcing a story that prevents them from stepping in as Batman themselves. This will probably be the case for all the other big heroes too, which will be the biggest problem.
    Or, like, Bruce could just say, "I am too old to keep being Batman. I have chosen Luke to become my replacement. If you disagree with this choice, then you have no place in my cave." So then the choice to be part oft he family or not is more on the individual bat-family characters rather than just Bruce.

If Jon is to become the new Superman, then I do not see anyone else really objecting.

Green Lantern has always been a nebulous mantle, so a new, younger Lantern taking the mantle would not cause any issues.

The Flash mantle has successfully been passed before, so no biggie.

Wonder Woman could cause an issue but I do not think there are that many people willing to fight for the mantle, especially if Diana picks a successor.