Page 99 of 135 FirstFirst ... 49899596979899100101102103109 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Willamson will be remembered for Godspeed and for giving Barry an origin. He’s also done a good job with Wallace and Avery imo. Otherwise I’m not sure what else he’ll be remembered for.
    I'm still miffed he hasn't brought Jesse Quick back yet.
    It’s often been said that Johns writes the Donner Superman. Putting aside whether or not that’s true, my own personal option is that Taylor one-ups him: Taylor writes the pop culture Superman; nice, strong, very very ******* stupid. He charges an infected Flash in DCeased head on without wearing any armor which is just idiotic. And then after he unsurprisingly gets infected, he lingers around to give a pep talk even though he knows he’s putting everyone in danger, and unsurprisingly he doesn’t get away before the ALE takes him over. His escape plan was also idiotic, why not just go to the PZ where he can’t infect anyone? Him writing Lex Luthor even implying Batman might be smarter than him is just jaw droopingly out of character for Lex. Taylor is a Batman fanboy through and through. He can claim otherwise but he only writes a good Batman imo.
    For what it's worth, he knocks Batman down a peg plenty in the Injustice 2 comic.

I also think he writes a solid Kara.

If he puts any character on a pedestal, it's probably Harley.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

For what it's worth, he knocks Batman down a peg plenty in the Injustice 2 comic.

I also think he writes a solid Kara.

If he puts any character on a pedestal, it's probably Harley.
    His Harley... is it weird to say I think he writes her well but I still can’t stand her at all? I hate using this term but Injustice Harley really is a Mary Sue. She murdered Jimmy Olsen and set off the riot that killed Nightwing, and helped Joker kidnap Lois AND helped perform the surgery that tied her heartbeat to the nuke, yet because she’s “lol so randumb XD” everyone loves and forgives her. Freaking Barry went to jail even though he never killed anyone, but Harley got to live in a penthouse! Taylor shills her so hard by making everyone love her, it’s just insufferable to me.

Injustice Batman is an idiot but he’s still smarter than all the other “heroes” so I dunno if I can consider that taking Bruce down lol. Really nothing Batman can do can compare to how over the top evil Superman and WW are.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To make matters worse, CBR has an article about TV Crisis changes... and one of them is that Jesse Quick is gone.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    His Harley... is it weird to say I think he writes her well but I still can’t stand her at all? I hate using this term but Injustice Harley really is a Mary Sue. She murdered Jimmy Olsen and set off the riot that killed Nightwing, and helped Joker kidnap Lois AND helped perform the surgery that tied her heartbeat to the nuke, yet because she’s “lol so randumb XD” everyone loves and forgives her. Freaking Barry went to jail even though he never killed anyone, but Harley got to live in a penthouse! Taylor shills her so hard by making everyone love her, it’s just insufferable to me.

Injustice Batman is an idiot but he’s still smarter than all the other “heroes” so I dunno if I can consider that taking Bruce down lol. Really nothing Batman can do can compare to how over the top evil Superman and WW are.
    I mean, part of it is he's going off what the games have done, which include Harley becoming a hero that makes her above how bad Superman and Wonder Woman have become, although Taylor doesn't really make it any better.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Bumping admits the Didio news, bleeding cool claims creators have been told to keep working on their 5G books and that it will be launching as planned in October: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/02...aunch-october/

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Bumping admits the Didio news, bleeding cool claims creators have been told to keep working on their 5G books and that it will be launching as planned in October: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/02...aunch-october/
    It's rather recomforting for me, for two reasons :

1. I want to see 5g playing out

2.If it doesn't work, it'll give a lot more time to DC to sort out its mess and chose how to move forward (or backward, or sideward).

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    It's rather recomforting for me, for two reasons :

1. I want to see 5g playing out

2.If it doesn't work, it'll give a lot more time to DC to sort out its mess and chose how to move forward (or backward, or sideward).
    Same, I find the timeline concept interesting and really curious to see how this all is executed. I think the idea has potential, even if there is clearly bad planning involved.

I think the only thing about 5G that is actually *bad* is the idea of all the replacements taking over.

The idea of a eighty year timeline (or sixty or whatever it is) is actually a fun thought experiment and I think it *could* be used to fun effect in the comics, especially if DC doesn't shy away from titles set in different parts of that history (ie; a JSA book set in the 40's, a Superman book in the 60's, etc etc).

If DC wanted to pursue that, and leave the fifth generation out of it, I'd probably be kinda excited about what they'd do. Hell, I'm not even opposed to the "idea" of the replacements, I just want them left in a near future we'll never actually reach. In the same way that Batman Beyond is supposed to be the canon future of Gotham but the books never actually reached it (even though 2019 was supposed to be the year Bruce retired) I'd be fine with the idea that Jon Kent becomes Superman.....someday. And that "someday" can be visited in stories, or even it's own mini. Or hell, even its own ongoing. As long as it's not the only option I have, and I can still read about Clark in the cape.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Not sure if it fits in here, but Bleeding Cool posted about the background of 5G and how it tied into Dan DiDio being fired.

But there is some link between 5G and Dan's departure, it's just far more nuanced than some reactionary commentators might prefer. As it stands, the 5G plans look to be largely intact. Editors and creators are still excited – and so is AT&T/Warner Bros, the big pushers of this initiative. Some things might get re-evaluated to make it a more natural launch, rather than replace everyone at once. There may be a growing a consensus that it was becoming "too much, too fast" – something Axel Alonso suffered from at Marvel with his All-New Marvel Now Now Now Now.

So we may be looking at a gradual relaunch over a number of months rather than all-at-once. Bleeding Cool has also been looking at the role that Generation One: Gods Among Us, free on Free Comic Book Day will play, and it seems that this comic will give all sorts of cover for two, three, four versions of reality existing side-by-side in DC shared universe comics – as if it was intended all along (which it wasn't). But it makes issues with Leviathan Dawn and Justice League simply melt away.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

BANNED

The 4 timelines are 1 regardless of what bc says.

I figured Warner was in full support of 5G. It gives them a boat load of IP potential that they can use for other media. It's interesting that they've changed things up to make a more "natural" shift. I wonder what that'll look like.

It's also good that they're using Generation Zero to consolidate all of the conflicting events as of late. It's pretty much a meta way to fix all of the editorial mistakes but whatever. Slam everything into one neat timeline and move forward. This part is what's really getting me excited. I'm tired of all these continuity stories.

Reading between the lines, it also seems that instead of Death Metal setting up 5G, they made a middle ground of just using the one shots, I'm guessing. Looking at their solicits should give good hints on the replacements. By now, if Luke isn't one of them I'll eat my hat. And I don't even own one.

I've never actually seen anyone eat a hat. If it turns out you're wrong I'll send you one if you share the video of you eating it.

Kjn's post about a slower roll out....that could be a good thing but if the plan is to still replace everyone I don't think it'll work any better. The sales crash will just be slower.

But if they take this slower roll out to change plans and *not* replace people....well, I do think the "real time" timeline has interesting potential. That *could* work, and make for a very interesting and entertaining DCU. But new faces in classic roles won't fly with the fanbase no matter how interesting the new continuity is.

It's the direct market. It barely suffers new characters, it's not welcoming at all to new characters in classic mantles.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

But there is some link between 5G and Dan's departure, it's just far more nuanced than some reactionary commentators might prefer. As it stands, the 5G plans look to be largely intact. Editors and creators are still excited – and so is AT&T/Warner Bros, the big pushers of this initiative. Some things might get re-evaluated to make it a more natural launch, rather than replace everyone at once. There may be a growing a consensus that it was becoming "too much, too fast" – something Axel Alonso suffered from at Marvel with his All-New Marvel Now Now Now Now.

So we may be looking at a gradual relaunch over a number of months rather than all-at-once. Bleeding Cool has also been looking at the role that Generation One: Gods Among Us, free on Free Comic Book Day will play, and it seems that this comic will give all sorts of cover for two, three, four versions of reality existing side-by-side in DC shared universe comics – as if it was intended all along (which it wasn't). But it makes issues with Leviathan Dawn and Justice League simply melt away. .
    This detail could make a huge difference in 5G going over well. Whereas some replacements (Luke & Jon) have been introduced over time and have at least some fan investment, others have not. Word on the street is that Diana's replacement will be neither Donna or Cassie, meaning some unknown character. In that instance, I could see high numbers for a first issue (fan curiosity) followed by a rapid decline as readers realize they really have no interest in not-Diana. Same with many other characters, which might have fans by a first issue and exit in droves.

A slightly more gradual approach would at least get readers invested in the build up to these new characters, versus abandoning ship and never even finishing the first 6 issue story arc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I've never actually seen anyone eat a hat. If it turns out you're wrong I'll send you one if you share the video of you eating it.
    I'll hold you to that. Always wanted a top hat!

My questions would be how they plan to do that and what is "gradual" to them? Will some mantles stay the same after Death Metal/Generations? I can already see Batman having an end after this Joker War stuff.
    Last edited by vasir12; 02-25-2020 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Not sure if it fits in here, but Bleeding Cool posted about the background of 5G and how it tied into Dan DiDio being fired.
    So if this report is true, then 5G is happening because the corporate overlords wanted to use it as fodder for movies and TV and future media products in general. Yeah, I doubted I'd spend money on this whole thing anyway, but now I'm pretty much confident that I won't.