Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lightbulb DC 5G: the Replacements

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/10...dc-comics-5gt/

The new rumor is that all major DC heroes will be getting new legacy iterations. This isn’t a thread to discuss whether or not you like this. This is a thread to fan craft just who you would chose to ascend to the titles next.

• Superman:
    • Wonder Woman:
    • Batman:
    • Aquaman:
    • Green Lantern:
    • Flash:

Just throwing a sample list for Justice Leaguers there, but feel free to try out any identity!

The rumor is that they’ll be unconventional choices, so be creative!

I’m going to begin using the ones that seem likely based on present rumors, and then fill in the blanks

• Superman: Jon Kent
    • Wonder Woman: Atlantiades
    • Batman: Luke Fox
    • Aquaman: Jackson Hyde / Kaldur’ahm
    • Green Lantern: Carol Ferris
    • Flash: Avery Ho

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Not gonna lie, another All New All Different: DC Edition doesn't sound appealing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Not gonna lie, another All New All Different: DC Edition doesn't sound appealing to me.
    Well, like I said, the topic here isn't meant to be "how do you feel about this?", but "how would you do this?"

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Are we allowed to go Elseworlds on it or does it have to build off our current continuity? I'm going to treat more full Elseworld, because that's the only way for it to be interesting to me, even for a one-off. Also, characters of very different ages can be similarly-aged in an Elseworld.
    I was thinking more of a current continuity take, to give it some grounding in speculation and relevance. But no real worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    I refuse to give BC clicks because they are just the worst. But if this becomes true, DC is about to save me a metric ton of cash on new books! If "everything counts" now moving forward, judging off the timeline presentation, I have a good 50 years worth of DC back issues I've never read that I can catch up on.
    BleedingCool has a very solid track record in terms of rumor accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Well, like I said, the topic here isn't meant to be "how do you feel about this?", but "how would you do this?"

I was thinking more of a current continuity take, to give it some grounding in speculation and relevance. But no real worries.

My issue with BC lies in the poor writing, lack of proofreading, and general editorial problems. Their "articles" are extremely amateurish. That's why I refuse to give them clicks.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Speaking of BleedingCool they're missing that the teen lantern will replace Hal..... Eh. Seems like a stretch to me unless they age her up to. I'd expect these replacements to all be adults and having to do time shenanigans for Jon is already tough to swallow.

. keep it a buck, would've rather they made David Zavimbe the new Batman, lean into the shallow Batman/Black Panther parallels. I'm interested to see how they plan to pull this off, if they are really doing this pretty much line wide then this is probably some kind of Year of the Villain type initiative and I hope it propels some new blood the same way All-New All-Different did. i think people are missing the forest for the trees on this one. I doubt the standard guys are gonna poof out of existence, these "replacements" are ephemeral, the big question is how will this springboard the characters going forward

* Superman: Jon Kent is fine, I'm intrigued enough

* The Flash: Wallace West (age don't matter if they can't stop you) but most likely Wally

* Aquaman: Jackson Hyde (I literally HAD to pick this one)

* Green Lantern: this is a weird one because the Lanterns are already a rotating lead. I would like John Stewart to finally get a landmark story of his own but anyone could go here.

* Wonder Woman: Hawkgirl (Kendra Saunders), just forego passing the mantle off and just let Hawkgirl be "the" flagship woman character; although they should have more than one at this point. but if we HAVE to pass off the mantle I'll swing way wide and say Ya'wara but most likely Artemis of Bana-Mighdall

I hope along with these Gen 5 "replacement" they launch other titles for other new/emerging characters on the same level. if they are doing this they need to make an actual effort like marvel did to define the this new era they are trying to build.

take Batman off and make it Black Lightning and the Outsiders or just Outsiders, Bring back Batwoman, keep supporting things like Gotham City Monsters, really invest in Naomi McDuffie as a new brand, bring back Kimiyo Hoshi, do more with Jessica Cruz (and Simon Baz ideally), grow Bird of Prey's profile, etc. I don't want this half-hearted attempt like they did with New Age of Heroes. I want consist promotion and cross-promotion.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 10-08-2019 at 09:55 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Mighty Member

Well, regardless, let's all keep in mind that their rumors aren't ALWAYS accurate either and not pretend otherwise.

Well, like I said, the topic here isn't meant to be "how do you feel about this?", but "how would you do this?”
    I would do it as an Elseworlds or multiple Elseworlds. If it has to be set in the main continuity, then I would have so that they assume these mantles but only temporarily until they find their true self. The way Grayson had a tenure as Robin before becoming Nightwing.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I agree. It seems like they want to do it to see how it would go for them over Marvel, but I think it will end exactly the same way. They should plan for this to be temporary and then maybe it could be fun.

I’m going to begin using the ones that seem likely based on present rumors, and then fill in the blanks

I was kind of hoping carol Ferris would stay as star sapphire.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    I was kind of hoping carol Ferris would stay as star sapphire.
    Same here, I like her as SS.

Astonishing Member

Why promote Atlantiades when Donna is around?

I think the real gauging of this is whether it's an out-of-continuity stories set in the future or actual relaunches of all the main titles replacing everybody.

I don't see the latter succeeding at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Why promote Atlantiades when Donna is around?
    'Cuz DC doesn't really care about Donna and won't let other Wonder Woman writers use her...

Didn't we go through this in the 90's?

To counter the JL retro-silver-bronze-age revival;
    My unapologetically 90s Earth eXtreme! team ....

The eXtreme Replacements; that required their predecessors all be; eXtreme de-powered, character assassinated, insane, crippled, or dead! While the "new" heroes take over and pull the I have to live up to the legacy angst, while simultaneously sh*ting all over the past, so they can take over, ...eXtremely! LOL!

Also comes with eXtreme angst poses!
    Last edited by Güicho; 10-11-2019 at 05:44 PM.