Page 24 of 135 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474124 ... LastLast
    hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

According to rumors they aren't going to strictly be replaced though, are they?

We at least know Bruce will be operating operating ala Oracle for the new Batman. It isn't a stretch to say that Clark, Diana, etc will also still be around.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    DC’s comic department pretends DC Universe shows don’t exist.
    Are you just saying this because there's nothing Titans related that reflects the show in any way?
    Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Like the character, but probably not going to show up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Stargirl has been seen in New 52, albeit stripped of her JSA ties.
    But she's been gone so long that they could probably just completely re-introduce her at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    But big Jackson Hyde becomes Aquaman, I'll read that no matter what.
    Man, it feels like only yesterday he was re-introduced as Aqualad, just met Aquaman, and now he's going to become Aquaman. What a quick development cycle .
    That's why I'm not so annoyed that Jon got aged before being young was cemented. That's why I'm also hoping this new timeline corrects some other ages.
    I think the problem with Jon is how much they've jumped his age. It feels like too much, too soon, for a character that was just getting his bearings.

Yeah, I'm not saying what they did and are (possibly) doing are the best way, but I also think they dropped th ball on a lot of stuff ages ago.

I was one of the people that be liked the post COIE continuity but was intrigued by the nu52 anyway. They might be going for a "best of both worlds" approach by bringing everything back but also having the oldest guard make way for younger people with fresh, unexplored stories.

I've said this before and I'll keep saying it. What was the point of making Clark a bachelor again if everyone new he'd go back to Looks eventually?

They should put Bruce, Clark, Diana and co in a modern Justice Society Book.
    so we can still see them working together while freeing up the Justice League book for the new generation

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

I like that idea. Also, they could (should?) do something like they have done in the past with Batman and like Marvel has with multiple of it's popular roles and had more than one character to a codename at a time. Have your cake and eat it too.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Are you just saying this because there's nothing Titans related that reflects the show in any way?
    Titans, DP, Swamp Thing, Young Justice. Has the comics reflected anything about any of them. Seems weird they’ll start with Stargirl.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 10-13-2019 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    According to rumors they aren't going to strictly be replaced though, are they?

We at least know Bruce will be operating operating ala Oracle for the new Batman. It isn't a stretch to say that Clark, Diana, etc will also still be around.
    Maybe. But that doesn't really make anything better. As a Superman fan its not nearly enough for Clark to just be around while someone else parades as Superman. Maybe the Batman situation is less jolting as the idea of Bruce as behind-the-scenes mentor has been done before. But then again Batman Beyond is a future tale, and Terry McGuinness is popular. In a present day canon with an unpopular character in the role? Could be a wildly different reception.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-13-2019 at 11:57 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

Forgive me if this has all been discussed earlier, but I haven't been following this thread. I take it that the concept behind 5G is that henceforth DC's superhero characters will all be job descriptions rather than specific people? Of course, DC has always had superheroes that were basically job descriptions, since Green Lantern was whoever the Corps chose to wear the ring, Doctor Fate was whoever Nabu chose to wear the helmet, etc. These superheroes were immune to the passing of time, since the particular people in those roles could grow old or be killed and then just be replaced by someone else wielding the same power set. Apparently Flash also is whoever acquires the Speed Force, regardless of how they got it. Over the past decades, Robins have aged and been replaced. Batman used to be a specific person, but now that also has become a job description, since other people have worn the cowl when Bruce couldn't. Superman had to be a particular person, though, which presented a problem with all those WWII stories still hanging around, and the same applies to Wonder Woman. Now in 5G, "Superman" will become a hereditary title passed from father to son, like the comic-strip Phantom (currently in the 21st generation)? This would allow Kal-El to age (although probably slowly, on account of the rejuvenating effects of solar radiation on his body). What about Diana? She's been around since the era of the Olympian gods, but is she now aging because she's in man's world? If so, she will need to be replaced by a new Amazon fresh from the island. This changing of superheroes from particular people to their generic job titles will eliminate the need for a sliding timeline, right? Is this what 5G is all about?

Again, please forgive me for being naive since I'm late to this forum, but I want to make sure I understand the concept. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    They should put Bruce, Clark, Diana and co in a modern Justice Society Book.
    so we can still see them working together while freeing up the Justice League book for the new generation
    That's not a bad idea. And I like that it'd bring the Trinity back to their Golden Age roots too.

I could see a "mixed" roster with Clark, Bruce, Diana, and maybe one or two other League staples that actually debuted in the GA (Arrow, Aquaman, etc) alongside JSA staples like Jay, Allen, and Ted. Gotta keep a few of the newer JSA faces around like Mr. Terrific (Holt, obvs) and Stargirl too.

You would have to cut some JSA regulars out of the cast to make room, but......the gains would far outweigh the losses. More people will buy JSA for Batman than they will Hourman.

Leave Hal and Barry with the League (since they're Silver Age characters) but bring up some new faces to replace the Trinity like Nightwing, Steel, and Donna Troy.

Yeah I could get behind something like that.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Forgive me if this has all been discussed earlier, but I haven't been following this thread. I take it that the concept behind 5G is that henceforth DC's superhero characters will all be job descriptions rather than specific people?
    Unless I missed an announcement, we dont really know what 5G is going to be. It's the "next generation" whatever that actually means. We've heard rumors about Clark and Bruce being replaced, and those rumors go back much farther than this "generations" announcement.

But what it actually turns out to be? We dont know (to my knowledge). It could just be the "official near future we'll only see in time travel stories" sort of like Batman Beyond kinda-sorta already is. It might be a whole imprint of books featuring these new characters. In which case the classic characters will still be around, in their costumes, as if nothing had changed. Or it might be a change across the entire publishing line and the classic faces will be pushed out (though I have my doubts on that, I dont think even DC is stupid enough to do that).

But is this going to be about the passing of legacy and new faces using old mantles? Yeah, it seems so. But that's nothing new at all. We had stories back in the Silver Age about the sons of Batman and Superman taking on their parents' names. Bruce has had replacement Batmen since the early 90's, and the idea of replacement Supermen goes back to Reign (and arguably started all of this stuff, pulling the idea into main continuity from the "Elseworlds" fringes of the Silver Age). Diana was replaced by someone in the mid 90's too. And of course, Barry Allen and Hal Jordan are themselves legacy names, and Mark Waid made the Wally-era Flash all about dynasties and legacies in the 90's as well. Pretty much everyone has been replaced at one point or another.

So this is nothing new, its just (possibly) something old taken to a new extreme.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

Thanks for the info. As with most things in life, we shall just have to wait and see what actually comes to pass, since it could be significantly different from what it currently seems. And of course with comics, whatever changes can, and probably will, change yet again, soon enough. This time next year we may be speculating about 6G already!

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Maybe. But that doesn't really make anything better. As a Superman fan its not nearly enough for Clark to just be around while someone else parades as Superman. Maybe the Batman situation is less jolting as the idea of Bruce as behind-the-scenes mentor has been done before. But then again Batman Beyond is a future tale, and Terry McGuinness is popular. In a present day canon with an unpopular character in the role? Could be a wildly different reception.
    To be fair, Terry didn't even exist before the show. It was his tenure that made him popular because it was so good.

I wouldn't call Luke unpopular. He's more overlooked by comic fans and largely unknown in mainstream. His possible tenure COULD (I would like to reiterate that I think this could all go very terribly) make him popular.

To be fair, Terry didn't even exist before the show. It was his tenure that made him popular because it was so good.

I wouldn't call Luke unpopular. He's more overlooked by comic fans and largely unknown in mainstream. His possible tenure COULD (I would like to reiterate that I think this could all go very terribly) make him popular.
    I don't want to nitpick, but if Luke isn't unpopular, I wouldn't go so far as to say he's popular. I think putting someone so far on the fringes in the star position is bound to be an unpopular move. I'm willing to give him a shot, but I'm wary of the whole G5 replacements idea.
    If this is meant to be a long term replacement situation I think the whole range is going to crash and burn.

Is Terry popular?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Is Terry popular?
    People are still asking for a Batman Beyond film.