Page 19 of 135 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969119 ... LastLast

I'm a little bummed we might not be getting a modern-day JSA book. So no Stargirl, Cyclone, Jakeem, etc.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    So, does this mean we will get the goldenage superman and silverage superman back?
    Well Silverage Superman is getting combined with the rest.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    It's from there :
    Rest in peace, Power Girl, Stargirl, Michael Holt, Pieter Cross, Rick and Jessie.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    The only time Jon should be Superman, is when Damian is Batman, Wallace West is Flash, Conner Hawk is Green Arrow, Lyta Trevor is Wonder Woman, etc.
    Iris West pls

Also Conner is way out of generation there.
    Last edited by Dred; 10-11-2019 at 09:55 AM.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Idea of doing separate books for each generation sounds cool on paper, but I'm not sure how it would exactly work in practice?

Take Wonder Woman for example. Historically she manages to support only one monthly title. So one generation, most likely G5, gets the main title and fans of other generations, classic WW if you will, get what exactly? Some cameos in other books and maybe a team book?

Or for example Flash franchise, it all fits rather nicely into that generations thing, but surely we aren't going to get 5 Flash ongoings?

Batman and Superman will likely get Detective and Action to focus on some previous generation to keep fans, to an extent, happy, but it won't work for other franchises.
    Yeah...how exactly is this going to be organized?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Rest in peace, Power Girl, Stargirl, Michael Holt, Pieter Cross, Rick and Jessie.
    Yeah, I'm wondering what this means for the JSA legacies.

I guess Michael still has his own team...maybe?

Basically they're trading in comprehension (and even that, with DC's track record, we can't be sure will work) for scope. What I mean is things like JSA look to be compartmentalized in a past time period. No modern day version. Same for all the classics I'm anticipating. Past "generation" settings only. Which could be interesting without the "only". Its the locking in that's not going to go over well. If you want a tale set in modern day, its replacements or bust. At least that's how its looking to me more and more as new info leaks.

And I have a hard time seeing how the Hypertime elements are going to help making things comprehensive, going back to my alluded concern. Its a fun concept but its not exactly conducive to continuity making a lot of sense. A concept that by very nature involves tons of timeline shifts is never going to flow easily and be uncomplicated. So in the end nothing really changes on a continuity front in terms of comprehensiveness. You set up your generations in a row but how it all connects will still be confusing if you're going to utilize Hypertime. Hypertime was designed to explain old ideas and continuities still having a place to exist in a time in which the Multiverse concept was not in play. It never really did anything to help make continuity easier to understand because that's not what it was made to do. Trying to use it to do just that with this big initiative suggests the minds involved don't really get what Morrison and Waid created and why.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-11-2019 at 11:05 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I didn't see anything in that post that rules out those characters from appearing in future.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Basically they're trading in comprehension (and even that, with DC's track record, we can't be sure will work) for scope. What I mean is things like JSA look to be compartmentalized in a past time period. No modern day version. Same for all the classics I'm anticipating. Past "generation" settings only. Which could be interesting without the "only". Its the locking in that's not going to go over well. If you want a tale set in modern day, its replacements or bust. At least that's how its looking to me more and more as new info leaks.
    And in a couple years most of the mantles will be back with the original heroes or passed on to new mantle warmers.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I didn't see anything in that post that rules out those characters from appearing in future.
    If there's only one JSA book set in the past then I think the likelihood we'll see the legacies associated with the team in the future less likely, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    If there's only one JSA book set in the past then I think the likelihood we'll see the legacies associated with the team in the future less likely, but I could be wrong.
    Maybe not with the JAS itself but other teams are an option. Jesse was in the Titans, Holt was in Checkmate and Karen has been a solo character as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    And in a couple years most of the mantles will be back with the original heroes or passed on to new mantle warmers.
    It would depend on sales, stories, and overall reception, I bet. I would hope that DC would see how Marvel did this and make some creative differences there. We already know DC is trying to inject fresher characters but that's hard in this medium without legacy. If they keep these new characters going forward while also having the old ones going about (probably in the past) then it MIGHT stick. A very big long shot though.

I couldn't tell ya if I believe they can or not.

A New Crisis is basically confirmed : https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/10...omics-2020-5g/

So, I basically think it's confirmed that Jl will segue into metal 2 and Metal 2 will lead to the Generations Era.

I've said this before but I still don't understand at all the need to "explain" why these characters have been active for so long. It's a fictional timeline, why does anyone need logical explanation for why the main DC characters didn't get older or never settled down or never stayed dead or always came back whenever they were replaced. Morrison's infamous quote about adults wanting comic books to make logical sense is still as relevant as ever.

Last edited by Johnny; 10-11-2019 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Even "near future" would prove problematic eventually. What happens when someone gets an idea for a present day story that contradicts with the "near future" canon?
    It wont matter, if the imprint theory proves true. 5G will have a "Crisis Wall" between it and G4. So the continuities won't matter any more than pre-Crisis continuity impacted post-Crisis. Just like how Vibe could be alive in the New52 despite being dead in post-Crisis.

What I'm more concerned about (if this theory is right) is ideas seeping between generations. If Naomi is in G4 and she ends up being a big, popular character, they're going to try to introduce a version of Naomi to other generations. And that could end up providing a lot of lackluster material that won't help Naomi in the long-run.

Likewise, if these different generations are built on actual DC history, I hope you're looking forward to the Golden Age, Silver Age, and Future versions of Harley Quinn. We've already gotten a Batman 66 version of Harley, and there's no way she won't be included in other generations, even if she didn't actually exist during the history the generation is modeled on.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.