Page 27 of 135 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777127 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    With the new timeline, Wonder Woman was a founding member of the Justice Society. Personally, I'd love it if they bring back Infinity Inc., including Lyta Trevor a.k.a. Fury, who also happens to be Wonder Woman's daughter.
    If Wonder Woman preimiers in WWI, then Steve is from that time as well. That means Lyta would also be very old. Maybe Lyta's grand daughter?

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    If Wonder Woman preimiers in WWI, then Steve is from that time as well. That means Lyta would also be very old. Maybe Lyta's grand daughter?
    You'd think so, wouldn't you? But the timeline doesn't seem to worry about how old it would make people (as I pointed out before, a strict reading of the timeline says that Tim Drake should be 29 by now); they may or may not have a rational for that, but it's largely irrelevant: if they reintroduce Lyta Trevor and say that she's in her mid-20s, then Lyta will be in her mid-20s.

That said, she and her husband were last seen being rescued from a freezing death by her son, Daniel (i.e., the new Dream of the Endless) and moving to the Dream Realm. That was at least one retcon ago, though, so they could easily ignore it.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I don't understand why wonder woman is allowed to exist in the 40's and superman is not. Why can't superman be the first one again?

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    That might be why the rumors are saying Damian will be Nightwing. Basically, Damian recognizing that Dick was a better mentor to him than Bruce ever was and that, given the chance, he should follow in those footsteps rather than Batman's. Plus, that creates for some nice tension when Luke and Damian are forced to work together (because that is a story gold mine that will be tapped early and often).

Who is to say Batman needs to lead the Justice League? Bruce can but that does not mean Luke can, or should (although to be fair, I think Dick would have done a bang up job leading the JL). Also, to be honest, I think it would be refereshing to see someone other than Superman or Batman taking the helm of the Justice League (kind of like what they tried to do in the New 52 with Aquaman... Just with less acrimony).
    That sounds like a bad idea.

We don't need another Damian clashes with a Bat family member and we've had more than enough of others becoming Nightwing while Dick does nothing

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I don't understand why wonder woman is allowed to exist in the 40's and superman is not. Why can't superman be the first one again?
    To be fair, Wonder Woman has more of a tradition (albeit in other media) of being ageless and having been around during the world wars as well as the contemporary times: for instance, both the Wonder Woman TV series and the recent Wonder Woman movie do this. By contrast, Superman has consistently been portrayed as a strictly contemporary hero. There are alternate reality tales that deviate from this (most notably Generations and the New Frontier); but for the most part, Superman's timeline has always been “he debuted (5 to 15ish) years ago”.

As for Superman's status as the first superhero, I think that DDC's formalization of the Metaverse is going to cement his role in that regard, even if he isn't the first in whatever the current timeline happens to be.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Mighty Member

Whatever this 5G thing is, I hope it's temporary....just when you think things couldn't get worse with character assassinations and prematurely aging up characters, now there's talk of permanently replacing the status quo characters. Dan Didio needs to go. He really sucks.

My hope is that they don't go the route of character assassinations to make these changes but rather character evolution.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    Whatever this 5G thing is, I hope it's temporary....just when you think things couldn't get worse with character assassinations and prematurely aging up characters, now there's talk of permanently replacing the status quo characters. Dan Didio needs to go. He really sucks.
    I’m with you 100% and agree! Also, can’t stand Dan DiDio. Grrrr!
    Let’s again alienate the older readers and collectors with the major spending $$$ and then expect us to like it or else we’re the bad guys. I’m not an outspoken online crazy girl. P
    I’m a hardcore collector and avid reader and I like what I like and I can guarantee you, I’m ending my DC collecting point here if they write out my big 3 plus Flash AND replace with characters I have zero interest in.
    It’s Bruce Wayne Batman that Gaulds me the most.
    DC will only get my money for classic editions and trades that I’m missing to fill in the holes.
    And that’s that.
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

Astonishing Member

Diana's age is no problem, since she's been around since the era of the Olympian gods. (And who knows how fast she ages, if it all, since she was created by magic.) As for Superman, more people remember stories about his growing up on the Kent farm near Smallville than remember his actions in WWII, so they would probably choose the Smallville ones as canon and claim that the WWII hero was someone else (Kal-L instead of Kal-El, basically).

Superman arriving too early - isn't so much a problem in regards to him aging.

But it would be for his supporting characters like Lana, Lois, Jimmy and Lex. Since it would make them very old in comics set in the modern day

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I gotta say this whole ordeal sucks for superman. He doesn't get to be first. Earlier incarnations of the character like the goldenage and silverage guy are still erased. He is not getting anything. Instead things are getting ripped from him including the legion.since,jon kent inspired them(what an insult that was) . He didn't get to form united planets. His identity is getting revealed . On top of that now he is getting replaced. What a wonderful time to be a superman fan. Am i missing something. Oh yeah! Ma and pa might not return with doomsday clock. Since it's status is up in the air. Life sucks for clark kent.

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    Superman arriving too early - isn't so much a problem in regards to him aging.

But it would be for his supporting characters like Lana, Lois, Jimmy and Lex. Since it would make them very old in comics set in the modern day
    Same issue with Steve and Etta (though I expect a death-and-resurrection for Steve and it may have movie synergy). And the 60-year-time-frame already makes them old in the modern day (though not nearly as old, I'll grant you). I'm still not fond of the 1938-was-60-years-ago thing and hope there is something forthcoming that makes it make sense.

Personally, I think they should have abandoned the WW II setting and just set the first Superheroes "X years ago" with no ties to specific real-world-events. Then Wonder Woman could be "Y years ago" and Superman "Z years ago" etc.

Also, even before this timeline info came out, I've been on record as saying I think the WWII-specific origin hurt Diana in terms of her longevity of setting/supporting cast. I think this will only make it worse. Not to mention it's rewriting her origin story again, when the dust has barely settled from last time.

So, I don't think this is good for Superman or Wonder Woman, and that's a disappointment to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Same issue with Steve and Etta (though I expect a death-and-resurrection for Steve and it may have movie synergy). And the 60-year-time-frame already makes them old in the modern day (though not nearly as old, I'll grant you). I'm still not fond of the 1938-was-60-years-ago thing and hope there is something forthcoming that makes it make sense.

Personally, I think they should have abandoned the WW II setting and just set the first Superheroes "X years ago" with no ties to specific real-world-events. Then Wonder Woman could be "Y years ago" and Superman "Z years ago" etc.

Also, even before this timeline info came out, I've been on record as saying I think the WWII-specific origin hurt Diana in terms of her longevity of setting/supporting cast. I think this will only make it worse. Not to mention it's rewriting her origin story again, when the dust has barely settled from last time.

So, I don't think this is good for Superman or Wonder Woman, and that's a disappointment to me.
    They probably consider Steve and Etta a more acceptable loss than Lois Lane. They want to keep Steve being a WW2 pilot to bring Diana out but Lois and Clark being reports can be more time neutral (to an extent. There has been an increasing problem with people tied to a dying form of journalism like a newspaper.)

Hard to say what exactly WW or SM gain or lose since this isn't even the final timelines draft and we have no idea how they'll implement it.

I guess we can be mostly certain that Wonder woman will remain the first. I don't think that makes Superman lose anything cause he hasn't been the first superhero I'm Canton for most of publishing history.

I guess we can be mostly certain that Wonder woman will remain the first. I don't think that makes Superman lose anything cause he hasn't been the first superhero I'm Canton for most of publishing history.
    I'll grant you it often hasn't been canon for Superman to be first. But do you think Diana gains anything by being first? If she gains something, then yes, I'd say that's Superman losing something. Or at least her gaining at his expense when it could have been him, and there was a precedent for it being him, when there was no such precedent for her.

Comic Geek in General

So, have they stated that if 5G would be the New Status Quo (like Post Crisis, One Year Later, Brightest Day) or is this like DC One Million or The Ray’s/ Deathsroke’s flash forwards (showing the potential future in a event mini series/ multi part, self contained story)?