Page 106 of 135 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110116 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,590 of 2012

https://www.comicsbeat.com/green-lan...n-2-12-issues/

Morrison’s Green Lantern is getting it’s cut issues back. Likely further evidence of dc backtracking on 5G following Didio’s departure, seeing as that was probably the reason for the cuts.

Fantastic Member sustainentropy's Avatar

This paragraph from a recent Bleeding Cool article just made me sigh with relief.

"Or at least that was the plan, the exit of Dan DiDio over repeated resignations at the company. means that everything is up in the air. But, as Bleeding Cool reported, 5G has buy-in from Warners/AT&T who saw how this might be easily turned into appealing animated movies too. So yes, it is still going ahead, but it is no longer line-wide. It is now been reduced to a smaller line of books that have already had a number of issues completed. It is not going to be the huge relaunch that was originally planned. And the DC Timeline that would accompany it is also still happening, but it will be trimmed, and no longer tied down to specific years or real-life events aside from World War II."

Well that's disappointing to hear. For a second I thought DC was doing something new and exciting like the recent X-Men comics.

Well the least DC can do now is bring in more writers.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    https://www.comicsbeat.com/green-lan...n-2-12-issues/

Morrison’s Green Lantern is getting it’s cut issues back. Likely further evidence of dc backtracking on 5G following Didio’s departure, seeing as that was probably the reason for the cuts.
    I've never quite understood the logic on this one. Didio gets Grant to do a book, any book, and gives him Green Lantern. 5G fires up and then decides that he's going to knee cap the run by by dropping 4 issues despite the rumor saying that they were going to stick the original heroes in Black Label. So why not just let Grant wrap his story or move it to Black Label?

Quote Originally Posted by sustainentropy View Post
    This paragraph from a recent Bleeding Cool article just made me sigh with relief.

"Or at least that was the plan, the exit of Dan DiDio over repeated resignations at the company. means that everything is up in the air. But, as Bleeding Cool reported, 5G has buy-in from Warners/AT&T who saw how this might be easily turned into appealing animated movies too. So yes, it is still going ahead, but it is no longer line-wide. It is now been reduced to a smaller line of books that have already had a number of issues completed. It is not going to be the huge relaunch that was originally planned. And the DC Timeline that would accompany it is also still happening, but it will be trimmed, and no longer tied down to specific years or real-life events aside from World War II."
    I see the animated line brought up a lot. Are we talking the direct to video style movies or into the Spider-verse major release style? Either one feels like putting the cart before the horse.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    Well that's disappointing to hear. For a second I thought DC was doing something new and exciting like the recent X-Men comics.

You know I feel like this is about as good a middle ground as we’re gonna get with not replacing everything but trying some new stuff. I think we just need to wait and see when announcements start coming in our future. Personally I’ll gladly support a standard return of JSA book but also a book of the new adventures of Jon Kent Superman and Luke Fox Batman. It’s all how you wanna look at it and all in the creative teams.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I wouldn't have compared it to Hickman's run because 5G seemed like a wiping of the board and a clean slate, while Hickman's stuff was taking what was there and past history and going in new directions with the main characters and the vast multitude of material they have.

Something that, yeah, DC could use more of.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    You know I feel like this is about as good a middle ground as we’re gonna get with not replacing everything but trying some new stuff. I think we just need to wait and see when announcements start coming in our future. Personally I’ll gladly support a standard return of JSA book but also a book of the new adventures of Jon Kent Superman and Luke Fox Batman. It’s all how you wanna look at it and all in the creative teams.
    You have a point there. This shake up has made a lot of unknowns even shadier. I'll wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wouldn't have compared it to Hickman's run because 5G seemed like a wiping of the board and a clean slate, while Hickman's stuff was taking what was there and past history and going in new directions with the main characters and the vast multitude of material they have.

Something that, yeah, DC could use more of.
    I agree that the comparison is not a 1 to 1. The feeling of something new was more of what I was talking about though I know you're right.

I guess I'll just wait and see what this new timeline will bring in terms of status quo.

Here's who SHOULD have been the "replacements", so to speak.

Nightwing.
    Flash (Wally West)
    Donna Troy
    Garth
    Powergirl/older Supergirl
    Jessica Cruz GL
    M'gann M'orzz
    Arsenal
    Raven
    Garfield Logan (take your pick on his name)
    Starfire
    Cyborg

Agreed.

I guess it'll just be the same snooze fest that DC has been since Rebirth, with the occasional good series lost in a mud of so-so and actively bad ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Here's who SHOULD have been the "replacements", so to speak.

Nightwing.
    Flash (Wally West)
    Donna Troy
    Garth
    Powergirl/older Supergirl
    Jessica Cruz GL
    M'gann M'orzz
    Arsenal
    Raven
    Garfield Logan (take your pick on his name)
    Starfire
    Cyborg
    An adult Gar should just be Changeling. Wolfman had the right idea rebranding him.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    An adult Gar should just be Changeling. Wolfman had the right idea rebranding him.
    But he'll always be Beast Boy, for better or worse...

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Honestly, I think the best thing 5G could do is give us books set in different eras. What's the point of this big long history if it's just background dressing and an excuse to write out the big names?

I think it'd solve a lot of problems DC has creatively, actually. Or, it *could* anyway, if DC didn't have so many creative problems.

Think about it; you set Action, Detective, and Sensation comics in the past, when the headlining heroes are still young, single, and without kids. Classic versions. All the people who miss the days of a unmarried Superman, or who miss a smaller Bat family and less douche-y Batman, get the books they want. Set JSA in the past too.

Then you put Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman (the titles) in the present day, where they're married or have kids or whatever the hell. It's almost like earth-2, right?

And you do that for all the books. A Titans book set somewhere around the NTT era, a Teen Titans set today. And you can do the 5G books too, of course, with the replacements, set in the near future. I think fans are more willing to try new things when they have a "safe place" to go too. If Jon Kent replaces Superman in all the books, people will riot. But a book where Jon Kent is Superman isn't nearly so threatening when Clark is still Superman in other books.

Toss in a healthy dose of miniseries and "seasons 1" to cover smaller characters who won't have a book in this situation, and you can showcase most of your characters in their most popular forms and give most fans something they want.

Even the length of the history works. Shock value changes never last, so books set in the past can still do weird, stupid gimmicks. I mean, how many times did Aquaman die, lose a hand, or lose/gain the throne, just in post-Crisis? Quite often right? So if he, I dunno, gets his legs cut off in a book set in the past, it doesn't have to affect a book set in the present; somewhere between then and now it gets fixed. It just makes 'official' what we'd all assume anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    But he'll always be Beast Boy, for better or worse...
    Given how much Beast Boy is used in larger media, yeah it's not going anywhere.

At best they could maybe get away with "Changeling: the beast boy" or something.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The issue is, Beast Boy is fine for a teen, but not when he's in his 20s or 30s. It's no wonder New 52 de-aged him. He was seriously getting too old for his name by then. Yet he'd never have aged out of the Changeling name. Superboy's having a similar problem currently. The reason Jon and Conner share the name is because there's nothing suitable for Conner to switch to. When Jon was given the name, Conner had been erased from continuity.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Agreed.

I guess it'll just be the same snooze fest that DC has been since Rebirth, with the occasional good series lost in a mud of so-so and actively bad ones.
    You mean how DC was during the New 52?

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The issue is, Beast Boy is fine for a teen, but not when he's in his 20s or 30s. It's no wonder New 52 de-aged him. He was seriously getting too old for his name by then. Yet he'd never have aged out of the Changeling name. Superboy's having a similar problem currently. The reason Jon and Conner share the name is because there's nothing suitable for Conner to switch to. When Jon was given the name, Conner had been erased from continuity.
    There have been replacement hero codenames for Conner tossed around by fans on the CBR forums and on other boards too. But the obvious issue is both Jon and Conner have fans who like them having the codename Superboy and for one of them to change would annoy those fans. I know I don't want Jon to give up the Superboy name but I don't know what Conner should call himself instead. Hopefully nothing as god awful as Drake for Tim Drake.