Page 12 of 135 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    The thing is DC always puts their legacy characters in the main book and that shields a lot of those characters from the sales drops that they would receive from a new ongoing.
    If Marvel ever replaced Peter with Miles and had it happen in the main book and then Peter got a new ongoing or whatever then Miles would be outselling Peter
    Marvel needs to learn how to brand their heroes as legacy characters.

At the same time this same practice is also signaling to some fans that their minor character is actually that popular when in reality its the brand that is being sold not the character. Replace Barry with Wally call it the Flash sales will stay the same
    Replace Bruce with Dick call it Batman sales will stay the same

Fans are not migrating to titles based on a character but a specific hero
    Exactly this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    But they wouldn't be forced into maintaining cohesiveness across the whole line. At least not any more than they already are. DC publishes what, around 50 books a month, and 90% of them share a continuity. But if you've got five different generations, each with their own continuity, then you normally only have to keep track of 10 books. Sounds easier to me. If a crossover between generations hits (and they will) you'll have to brush up on their continuity, but that's what they do already so it's not like it's extra work.
    I'm just thinking of more in terms of what 5G will likely mean for the present-day continuity of the main heroes. Although does each generation get it's own editorial office now?

It just seems like it could be a mess if not organized well.
    I'm not sure that will (theoretically) matter as much anymore. But odds are the generation with the most recognizable Batman and Superman will be the most important generation.
    Well, obviously .
    I dunno, they've been real big on imprints lately. Seems like for a while there every other week had DC announcing a new one. And it seems like it's working out okay, or is at least something the company is comfortable with and believes in. So what happens when they turn their main line into a series of five independent but connected imprints? Maybe people will just read the books they like?
    I feel like it's been a while since they've actually announced a new one. the last time they announced something was consolidating Ink/Zoom. Everything else is just announcing new Black Label stuff.

I don't know if you can turn your whole line into a series of imprints. There's going to need to be a baseline, main, ongoing continuity in my opinion.

But if Black Label is any indication then most of the new content will just be mini-series or one-shots...which I guess isn't bad in and of itself.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That change happened after he left the book though. Though I can imagine he won't like that the trades aren't called Spider-Man at all (they're just called Miles Morales).
    I can't remember where I read it (Bleeding Cool, perhaps?). But when it was announced Bendis jumped ship from Marvel to DC, it said that his relationship with Marvel soured substantially over the two years or so prior, and part of that included Marvel's decision to re-title Spider-Man to Miles Morales: Spider-Man.

BANNED

Would love to see Miss Martian written by Steve Orlando.

If this turns out to be a situation where we have different era versions of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, etc. being published simultaneously then I'm 100% all for that.

If it's strictly "we're replacing established heroes with legacy characters across the board", then again, I have no interest whatsoever.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

I think this 5G thing will be caused by Wally.

Gifted with humongous powers by Tempus Fugisomething and driven mad by Tom King, Wally will pull a Scarllet Wicth and whisper "no more silver age".

After that, everybody is a legacy. Sales will plummet.

Dan Didio will lose his position before the next editorial reverts things, but he will be jobless and with a smile, because now everybody hates Wally West, and legacy heroes in general.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Would love to see Miss Martian written by Steve Orlando.

Isn't Miss Martian too obvious to replace Martian Manhunter ?

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Let's not be so sure. I am buying less comics than ever in my life. I suspect I will be buying less in the future.

I still love the characters...but I don't love the stories anymore.

That's not reassuring.

I reiterate: I'm buying very few comics because I dislike the modern stories.

I look forward to the next Batman cartoon...and that's about I'm looking forward to.
    I'm in the same boat if I'm being honest. Outside of Immortal Hulk, I'm really not excited about anything going on in comics right now and am collecting more out of habit or obligation than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    I think this 5G thing will be caused by Wally.

Gifted with humongous powers by Tempus Fugisomething and driven mad by Tom King, Wally will pull a Scarllet Wicth and whisper "no more silver age".

After that, everybody is a legacy. Sales will plummet.

Dan Didio will lose his position before the next editorial reverts things, but he will be jobless and with a smile, because now everybody hates Wally West, and legacy heroes in general.
    That sounds spot on.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    That sounds spot on.
    I know!

Isn't that sad?
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    I know!

Isn't that sad?
    It is.
    But it does give me hope that if/when it fails, we'll likely get something better when they hire someone else.
    Providing DC/AT&T doesn't simply decide to cancel everything and just keep the best-selling trades in print.

Btw... I'm expecting a report that 5G was mandated from AT&T, 'or else'.
    Similar to the reason given for New52.

I, personally, think those memos may not be as dire and may be getting blown out of proportion and tinged with a personal agenda to help push that agenda.
    But that's my conspiracy theory.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 10-08-2019 at 09:46 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Having read this article, I'm starting to wonder how much of the delays in Doomsday Clock were actually due to the 5G and this timeline initiative being chosen behind the scene ?

I mean, in the DDC, we have Dr. Manhattan who can't see the future anymore, because he theorizes that he's either kileld by Superman or destroy the Metaverse. But what if he fragmented ? He can see through time, but can he see through Multiverse? I don't think that the end of Doomsday Clock will herald the start of 5G (it'll be the new Metal that Snyder has been teasing for some time now) but it could certainly pave the way to it. And if it explains the delays, well, it'd mean that it was a very long planned choice from DC, not a gimmick to temporary boost sales.

Potentially, it could be really good, if they have had the time to gauge the fan's reactions and pave their way forward carefully.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Having read this article, I'm starting to wonder how much of the delays in Doomsday Clock were actually due to the 5G and this timeline initiative being chosen behind the scene ?

I mean, in the DDC, we have Dr. Manhattan who can't see the future anymore, because he theorizes that he's either kileld by Superman or destroy the Metaverse. But what if he fragmented ? He can see through time, but can he see through Multiverse? I don't think that the end of Doomsday Clock will herald the start of 5G (it'll be the new Metal that Snyder has been teasing for some time now) but it could certainly pave the way to it. And if it explains the delays, well, it'd mean that it was a very long planned choice from DC, not a gimmick to temporary boost sales.

Potentially, it could be really good, if they have had the time to gauge the fan's reactions and pave their way forward carefully.
    So, basically this

I don't think that DDC will lead directly into 5G. I do think that it will usher in the new timeline, and that if 5G is actually a thing then that will pave the road to 5G.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

I'm pretty sure the "silver age" will be just fine regardless of how this little experiment turns out. lol

Last edited by Johnny; 10-09-2019 at 01:13 AM.