Page 120 of 135 FirstFirst ... 2070110116117118119120121122123124130 ... LastLast
Results 1,786 to 1,800 of 2012

Retooling 5G into an "ultimate universe" style imprint feels like a smart play but the "generations" oneshots could be a double-edge sword. Generations feels more cumbersome and more like required reading.

I would have just preferred a time skip- much more simpler.

Incredible Member

I don't understand why they cant just retool the ideas into elseworlds ogns or separate digital comics. At first i thought the idea was pretty naff but i havent read batman in years because for me its just depressing and psychotic. Fox as batman makes perfect sense (imo) and might bring a different tone for those who like the character and world but not the direction of the main book.

The books could do with a wide variety of art styles too. I dont know who thought it was a good idea to have what to me looks like a 'house style' but thats not the dc i know.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Sounds like DC is perhaps finally planning to do an “Ultimate” Universe, with Superman and Batman being the foundation Ellis, Zdarsky, and Fraction creating a The Wild Storm type intro comic to this new universe. Could be interesting.
    Doesn't this also more or less kill the Earth-One books as well?

Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    I’m sure they can make them different enough. The Earth One books are different takes on the traditional heroes. This new Earth could be a take on the next generation like 5G, or it could be closer to the New 52 Earth 2 book with modern renditions of classic characters. Either way, if they let Warren Ellis have creative control I’m so down for this.

Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    Not really. What “killed” Earth One was
    1. The New 52. Who needs standalone continuity free books when DC did a linewide reboot that let you get in without any continuity (or at least that was the idea)?
    2. The gap between books. It took forever for new books to come out.

The Earth One universe will still continue, GL is getting another volume as is Batman. WW has one last volume from Morrison and then like Superman she’ll be done. I don’t think there’s any plans for a crossover in a JL: EO book, so whenever GL and Batman wrap, that could be it. Or they could still put out Flash and Aquaman books. Ultimately Earth One was about top tier creators doing their own specialized take on DC. That doesn’t prohibit other imprints from doing something similar. And another big difference is Earth One only released as trades whereas this new initiative will probably only come out digitally. So different formats could also differentiate.

Curious why this thread is still going - isn't 5G largely aborted, with what little may come tied to this largely diminished to be quickly ushered out? What is still being discussed?

To this point what, if anything, might be kept of the initiative. It was still a question. Hell it kinda still is as BC's article stating its demise isn't official yet by any stretch. The Superman books for instance are still laying groundwork that could potentially be for Jon taking over as Superman. So people wonder if it still might happen. What, again if anything, will be kept from what little the intended lead up to Generations established? Will Diana remain the first superhero, or will that be ushered out as quickly as it was brought in? Stuff like that is what's been discussed.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Diana being the first superhero will probably remain since it doesn't really require her being replaced (she's functionally immortal) and of course, movie synergy.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Diana being the first superhero will probably remain since it doesn't really require her being replaced (she's functionally immortal) and of course, movie synergy.
    This is also somewhat true of Superman of course. Although he is occassionally shown as "ageing" this was originally AFAIK mainly a "shorthand" to distinguish the E1 and E2 versions, not a sign of "weakening". In fact, Kingdom Come, which used a similar "shorthand" quite reasonably took the opposite view.

Bruce as Batman is slightly more complex issue, as by default he does age (although he has been exposed to the Lazarus Pits before and could be again). However, IMO the problem with discussions on where you take the character revolve around the obsession with the "Dark Knight" (the warrior) side of the character and neglect the "Great Detective" (the thinker/planner) which IMO neglects the most powerful polental of the character to evolve. Some of my favourite parts of both his appearances with the Justice League and in particular Batman Beyond is where he uses his brain to strategise the problem and leaves the "hitting" to the younger and/or superpowered members.

However, YMMV, I know not everyone agrees and I don't expect them to. I just think that particularly once you start talking about having multiple timelines that more should be done with that (I'd prefer it to be the "main" timeline, but an expanded "Beyond" franchise would do at this point).

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    To this point what, if anything, might be kept of the initiative. It was still a question. Hell it kinda still is as BC's article stating its demise isn't official yet by any stretch. The Superman books for instance are still laying groundwork that could potentially be for Jon taking over as Superman. So people wonder if it still might happen. What, again if anything, will be kept from what little the intended lead up to Generations established? Will Diana remain the first superhero, or will that be ushered out as quickly as it was brought in? Stuff like that is what's been discussed.
    Well, if Jon is taking over for Superman then they better do it soon given that Bendis is leaving the titles in the Fall, and I can't imagine Bendis would have Clark exit and then a completely different writer would have to follow that up.

BC seems to indicate that whatever remnants of 5G remaining will be done digitally and in some type of Ultimate universe situation.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Well, if Jon is taking over for Superman then they better do it soon given that Bendis is leaving the titles in the Fall, and I can't imagine Bendis would have Clark exit and then a completely different writer would have to follow that up.

BC seems to indicate that whatever remnants of 5G remaining will be done digitally and in some type of Ultimate universe situation.
    I don’t think Jon will be taking over for Clark anymore. Originally he totally was, that was why he got aged up and what not. I suspect originally Bendis would’ve written 5G Superman with Jon, but now that that is cancelled his run will be ending soon and he will simply hand the franchise rover to the next person to do with as they please.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I wonder if the JSA connection is going to be done away with.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder if the JSA connection is going to be done away with.
    If they don't want it to be Diana anymore just let it be Hippolyta again, she used to be with the JSA as Wonder Woman after all (look at David Goyer and Geoff Johns JSA from late 90's to early 2000's)
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I hated the Hippolyta/JSA thing. No one should go by Wonder Woman before Diana.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Snyder said everthing will count. It's more likely the decades thing is scrapped. So no aging of most character's but sliding timeline as well except for WW2 characters.