Page 125 of 135 FirstFirst ... 2575115121122123124125126127128129 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,875 of 2012

I think part of the failure to launch Cyborg solos comes down to creators being totally unwilling to break new ground with the character. Every Cyborg solo arc was just him fighting a generic evil AI, or fighting somebody else who turned into a Cyborg.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The funny thing is I think Johns picked Cyborg because he actually did like him as a character (Johns used him prominently in his Flash and Titans runs and I think has gone on record about his love for the Galactic Guardians cartoon), and I mean he got spotlight moments in like 3-4 of Johns' major JL arcs, but he didn't implement him well as a founding main member of the League.
    Agreed. From what I've heard, Johns *is* a fan. But apparently that doesn't always translate to good writing....though I don't remember having a problem with the way Johns wrote Vic in Titans, Flash, or Flashpoint. Might just be the fact that it was the League; everyone shows up for the Big 5 and anyone else is just an extra. Been that way for a long time.

There's a similar problem with Superman. Johns seems to truly love the character.....but he can't write Superman for sh*t and doesn't seem to actually understand him.

With Vic, it's just extra sad because the New Gods tech? That's a cool idea that opened up a whole lot of avenues and options. The friendship with the Metal Men? On the nose as all hell, but fun and weird and interesting. But just like with Superman, it seems Johns could only introduce some ideas for Cyborg without having the juice to go the distance.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

It's official, Generations is cancelled. The FCBD books have been given new release dates. DC's other book is in there, Generation Zero is not.
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/free...ok-nine-weeks/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Agreed. From what I've heard, Johns *is* a fan. But apparently that doesn't always translate to good writing....though I don't remember having a problem with the way Johns wrote Vic in Titans, Flash, or Flashpoint. Might just be the fact that it was the League; everyone shows up for the Big 5 and anyone else is just an extra. Been that way for a long time.

There's a similar problem with Superman. Johns seems to truly love the character.....but he can't write Superman for sh*t and doesn't seem to actually understand him.

With Vic, it's just extra sad because the New Gods tech? That's a cool idea that opened up a whole lot of avenues and options. The friendship with the Metal Men? On the nose as all hell, but fun and weird and interesting. But just like with Superman, it seems Johns could only introduce some ideas for Cyborg without having the juice to go the distance.
    I think Johns can write a solid Superman but I know I'm in the minority on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Johns can write a solid Superman but I know I'm in the minority on that.
    You sure? I thought *I* was in the minority for not being able to stand his Generic Man?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It's official, Generations is cancelled. The FCBD books have been given new release dates. DC's other book is in there, Generation Zero is not.
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/free...ok-nine-weeks/
    We all knew this was coming. The only question is what are they going to do now

BC notes that while 5G is cancelled, the whole new timeline thing was still introduced in Wonder Woman and might still be used. So maybe Generations (or at least part of it) will still see publication; just not the part leading to the new generation of legacy heroes being introduced at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    You sure? I thought *I* was in the minority for not being able to stand his Generic Man?
    That's not the impression I get on the Superman boards...

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    BC notes that while 5G is cancelled, the whole new timeline thing was still introduced in Wonder Woman and might still be used. So maybe Generations (or at least part of it) will still see publication; just not the part leading to the new generation of legacy heroes being introduced at the end.
    Wonder Woman is seen with the JSA in a preview of metal 2 and Snyder is the one who wrote the story with the JSA in the WW anniversary issue, so I could see some books still happening just without a generations label.

Hmmm, this is looking worse by moments, or so I feel it. I wonder if they have any direction for the whole publishing company for as far as the next six months right now, or just bits and pieces for a few books and characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Remember when DC tried to replace some existing mid tier heroes with more diverse characters? Jason Rousch, Ryan Choi, and Jaime Reyes. All those characters are currently shelved and the originals are all back.
    Just because they’re shelved currently doesn’t mean they’ll remain there for long, at least in Jaimes case. He’s always popping up again and is always in something outside of the comics. Maybe he’ll get that show on HBOMax soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    Hmmm, this is looking worse by moments, or so I feel it. I wonder if they have any direction for the whole publishing company for as far as the next six months right now, or just bits and pieces for a few books and characters.
    I wouldn't bet on it.

Right now, it seems Warner and AT&T want to ditch the Direct Market (or reduce its importance for them) and that DC proper has no plan for the future anymore. What a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Just because they’re shelved currently doesn’t mean they’ll remain there for long, at least in Jaimes case. He’s always popping up again and is always in something outside of the comics. Maybe he’ll get that show on HBOMax soon.
    And maybe he'll rejoin the Teen Titans when that relaunches? The current team won't be around much longer (it's apparently about to lose Robin, and Djinn's gone, so there's only four members left).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Cyborg is unfortunate because they gave him this big promotion to being a founding JL member and then proceeded to do nothing with him. It's ironic because at the time they kept insisting he wasn't there due to tokenism and yet that's all he's come off as the entire 9 years since the New 52. The only writers who actually did interesting things with him were David Walker and Christopher Priest.
    John Semper Jr., too. Under the constraints he had to deal with, he was building a world and cast of Vic's own. Semper was legit for Cyborg, and I stand by that.

BANNED

It's all completely subjective, but I wasn't impressed with anything anyone did with Cyborg in the New 52 and Rebirth. The best I saw was Williamson and Sejik's Justice League Odyssey, but that very quickly went off the rails for Cyborg.