Page 134 of 135 FirstFirst ... 3484124130131132133134135 LastLast
Results 1,996 to 2,010 of 2012

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    5G was supposed to have longer fleshed out timeline, and older heroes. They only bothered to keep the replacements elements for IF.
    This is true. The whole timeline thing seems to be forgotten now. Since Death Metal "everything" counts, which is basically the same as "nothing does".

5G was supposed to have longer fleshed out timeline, and older heroes. They only bothered to keep the replacements elements for IF.
    That’s fine. They kept the relatively interesting aspects of 5G and trashed the ridiculous timeline.

Astonishing Member

The timeline part was the most interesting. The replacements except Wally in the end won't work out.

I was definitely a fan of that.

Amazing Member

I’m miffed about this. I’m a pretty new reader of comics compared to most here, so finally digging into some of these heroes just to find out they might not be around anymore makes it feel worthless. Of course, I generally dislike legacies to begin with, so...

Quote Originally Posted by transformers03 View Post
    Well Bleeding Cool, the main site covering it, was even saying that DC was going to get rid of their classic heroes. They were going to still be around, though the site also speculated they would only be the main heroes in Black Label stories. Obviously, I don't think things ended up being one-to-one with how DC initially planned to be, but I think what is happening right now is what essentially was going to happen with 5G. Certain titles seemed to be refitted to match Infinite Frontiers, like Wonder Girl and The Next Batman: Second Son.

With that said, I don't know what DC was planning with The Flash. Like, was Jess Chambers going to be the main Flash going forward? If that was the case, what was up the Flash's Future State mini? Why did The Flash's FS mini feel so hamstrung, and was very dire compare to the rest of FS (Flash and Teen Titans were like super downers)? I don't think the Flash ongoing will eventually match up with the FS mini, mostly because the directions Adams is going are very off course of what was presented in FS. Not only that, FS mini was bad and dumb. I'm not even convinced that was the original 5G plan, and I have a theory it was poorly put together at the last minute because they needed to explain the disappearance of the Flash family to justify the rest of Future State.

If there were any big changes between Future State and Infinite Frontier, it would be that.

And I hope it stays like that...

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. I know there are fans for that story, and Bendis is a talented writer, but just honestly want classic Legion back.
    You know what fine by me, that Flash future State story was awful. I mean really who wants to read about the entire Flash family losing their powers, dying, and Wally being a literal monster unable to control his actions.

I’ll take fun adventures with Wally West and Family, plus Mister Terrific apparently, any day thank you very much....but I would like to see Jess maybe show up and team up with Barry.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I like the replacements but the timeline held most of my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by transformers03 View Post
    I've always been a vocal supporter of multiple characters sharing a legacy title (like multiple Flashes and multiple Spider-Men), but I see where your point of view on this.

It made more sense for Jace to be a Batman that saves Gotham in Future State, as they took place in an undisclosed future where Bruce had to go into hiding. However, you're right, it does feel redundant for Jace to be Gotham's savior when Bruce will still be around. I'm even having a hard time accepting him to be Batman in present-day DC, as he doesn't seem to have a point to be Batman yet. If it was in the future like in FS, then I could believe it, but right now I need more persuasion.

The Green Lanterns really do need a second ongoing, not just a few minis and whatnot. It just doesn't make sense to me. I type that, but I think the issue is that the Green Lantern brand hasn't sold that well in the recent past.

I'm willing to accept Jackson as the new Aquaman because I project his appearances from other media onto his comic book portrayal. Yeah, if I just take his appearances in the comics, it would feel weird for him to suddenly be Aquaman. But if I view him with his history in the Young Justice show and in past DC continuity, then I accept him as being the new Aquaman. I know it still doesn't make it make more sense in a continuity sense, yet I say screw continuity! I rather justify it more meta-textually and emotionally rather than logically. For what they can do with two Aquamans I could see DC doing something similar to what Cates just did with Venom in Marvel. In the most recent comics, Eddie Brock became the new symbiote god and left the venom symbiote with his Son Dylan. He then said they were both Venoms - Eddie will act as the ruler of the symbiote while Dylan becomes the hero on the streets. Something similar can be done with Aquaman, with Arthur being the ruler and face of Atlantis, while Jackson is the street hero.

As for Superman, I don't really have a strong theory on what is going on because I have a strong distaste for grown-up John.
    I'm not necessarily against a shared legacy title, but I feel like it can be very tricky execution-wise.

I don't really associate Jackson with YJ Kaldur because they feel like two different characters and even have different names.

Isn't Dylan barely even a teenager? And he's Venom now? Did they pull a Blue Turbo Ranger?

They pretty much did pull a Justin Stewart, yeah. In costume, Dylan Brock looks like an adult. Out of costume, he's a 13 year old kid (and that's older than he should be considering when he's supposed to have been born).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    They pretty much did pull a Justin Stewart, yeah. In costume, Dylan Brock looks like an adult. Out of costume, he's a 13 year old kid (and that's older than he should be considering when he's supposed to have been born).
    He went to another reality with Eddie for a little while I believe is why he’s older.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

The timeline part was the most interesting. The replacements except Wally in the end won't work out.
    To me timeline was also more interesting, but it probably would have gotten thrown away few years later.

The timeline always seemed unwieldy to me just for how long it was supposed to be and how dated the heroes were going to be.

The timeline would’ve been broken within a year lmao, and all you guys would’ve gotten mad about ongoing comics not perfectly aligning with it. Never understood why some people wanted that so badly. DC is doing stuff the same way Marvel does, “it all happened, but we’re not going to address the contradictions (such as how stories that rely heavily on Cold War tensions could’ve worked), deal with it”.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

I diagree. Marvel uses flaoting timeline and even changes wars, or uses fictional wars now.

Instead of Jon, I would've brought back Davood Nassour and made him the Future State Superman instead. I was inspired by Ridley's work with Tim/Jace Fox.

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Davood_Nassur_(New_Earth)

It's also redemption for this mistake-
    https://comicsalliance.com/superman-712-muslim/

Plus its a more interesting message if Superman inspires people from other species/races to step up.

I think Jace and Yara are the only Future State Legacy characters that worked for me. Everybody else is a blank slate or a dud.

Oh well.....there's always next time .