Page 41 of 135 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Well apparently in issue 1 of the book there's already going to be clues and hints at the new 5G stuff (and stuff regarding to Jon). I honestly think we already got some hints in Millennium issue 2 where all of those continuity shifts were represented in the museum. I'm think the 20th to 21st centuries being f&%ked up in terms of timeline is common knowledge by the 25th century.

I honestly think think a 4 year time skip could work for the Legion. Bendis gets about a year or so for Year One, the freshmen adventures, and establishing characters and the world, then "4 years later" hits. I'm also thinking of this in terms of marketability, you know? DC's got there whole 5G think coming up, and that's gonna mean new #1's and a push for the whole line. Doing a Legion "season 1" and "4 years later" alongside 5G gives the book a similar (in theory) bump, and it plays into the whole Ultimate style take he's doing.
    In my experience Bendis needs 60-sum issues to establish a book's proper setting, character relationships, and ongoing momentum with his decompressed writing style. That's the only point where I could conceivably seeing a time skip not coming as out of the blue.

I guess it could give him the opportunity to jump to certain character points he wants to get to without needing to deal with the nitty gritty of actually developing them over time, but that's not ideal for me.
    No, you're right, it doesn't. I'm just thinking about how the branding works. I'm in particular thinking about Conner. If he's say 21 like Jon (them being about the same age now), then who is Superboy? We assumed that since Jon was joining the Legion that he'd end up being Superboy from here on, but with 5G becoming a thing, that doesn't seem to be the case after he gets back home. So I figured Conner would rep the Superboy title with him being about 18 or 19 after a time skip.

I'm also remembering the timeline that Didio showed, and it says that Jon comes back aged about a year later after going to the future. So I figure it's 4 years for him, and about a year or two for everyone else.
    Jon's mostly in the future now so I'm not sure if that should impact Conner being Superboy in the present-day...I mean, if we're talking age-wise, Barbara Gordon is a 21 year old Batgirl, although who knows if the new timeline will finally make her Oracle again. Heck, cartoon Conner is getting married and still calling himself Superboy .

Plus Jon now seems set to jump to being Superman, so I guess Conner might keep Superboy by process of elimination.
    I know it's the least likely thing in the world right now given the fact that he's just now getting of his Deathstroke run, but boy-o-boy would I love it if Christopher Priest came back to Justice League. I'd love to see his take on a new generation of the League complete with new interpersonal dynamics to play with.

Even though I've greatly enjoyed Snyder's run, and I feel like Priest got out what he was aiming for with his in between run, I think he's got a distinctly modern and consistently high quality Justice League run in him. Man, that'd be something else.
    I may be biased because I didn't really enjoy Priest's run (Jessica and Bruce wuh...?) but I don't know if he would be a good choice to start off a brand new Justice League unless they're, like, more Authority-esque.

I also wonder if he would be more open to writing less developed and established Justice League vs. "the main ones," since while that would be creatively freeing, he might prefer getting to write the more traditional and prominent versions.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    In my experience Bendis needs 60-sum issues to establish
    I think that's an exaggeration.

I guess Conner might keep Superboy by process of elimination.
    That's what I said. My only question being the possible time skip. If it's 4 years for both Superboys, and they are both around 17, and Jon graduates to Superman but Conner stays Superboy, then that's a little strange. That's why I'm assuming the time skip won't be that long for Conner and the rest of the DCU, but it'll be 4 or 5 years for Jon and the Legion.

he might prefer getting to write the more traditional and prominent versions.
    He's on record talking about how his version of characters like Batman and Superman would likely put him at odds with editorial and fans because his ideas go against the grain of what's expected. So, I imagine having new characters with less built in expectations as Superman and Batman would be something that would interest him.

Plus, I think reducing the scope some, and focusing on interpersonal dynamics will be exactly what's in order after Snyder's grand epic and because it'll be a whole new team, so I'd say Priest would be perfect in terms of sheer consistency and a legit high quality sense of verisimilitude.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I think that's an exaggeration.
    I don't, but agree to disagree .
    He's on record talking about how his version of characters like Batman and Superman would likely put him at odds with editorial and fans because his ideas go against the grain of what's expected. So, I imagine having new characters with less built in expectations as Superman and Batman would be something that would interest him.
    On a level of more creative freedom, definitely.
    Plus, I think reducing the scope some, and focusing on interpersonal dynamics will be exactly what's in order after Snyder's grand epic and because it'll be a whole new team, so I'd say Priest would be perfect in terms of sheer consistency and a legit high quality sense of verisimilitude.
    I agree something smaller scale will likely be in the cards, although I didn't really like Priest's character dynamics in his Justice League run. Felt fairly cold and clinical even for characters who aren't that way.

Priest is definitely a writer that... Leans on the flaws of his characters. That's why he's typically good with anti-heroes or even villains.

I'd be more interested in someone like Tom Taylor or Joshua Williams to write it. I think they'd choose Bendis though

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    Priest is definitely a writer that... Leans on the flaws of his characters. That's why he's typically good with anti-heroes or even villains.

I'd be more interested in someone like Tom Taylor or Joshua Williams to write it. I think they'd choose Bendis though
    Williamson feels like he's been groomed for something like that, but I feel like they would put Bendis on there for publicity.

But a Bendis Justice League will likely be pretty smaller-scale if only because he'll treat them like a street-level team .

Williamson feels like he's been groomed for something like that, but I feel like they would put Bendis on there for publicity.

But a Bendis Justice League will likely be pretty smaller-scale if only because he'll treat them like a street-level team .
    I dunno, his Superman has been surprisingly cosmic. By Bendis standards I mean.

It's definitely not his strength as a writer but he doesn't completely ignore the higher concept side (even when maybe he should).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Bendis on the League?

When he had them make guest appearances, he made Barry sound like Wally, and everyone else sounded off.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I dunno, his Superman has been surprisingly cosmic. By Bendis standards I mean.

It's definitely not his strength as a writer but he doesn't completely ignore the higher concept side (even when maybe he should).
    I haven't gotten to read some of his later Superman stuff. I wonder if it feels "street-level cosmic" like I felt his Guardians run was.

I haven't gotten to read some of his later Superman stuff. I wonder if it feels "street-level cosmic" like I felt his Guardians run was.
    He's uped his "epic" scale during his space adventures that connect to the legion. I don't think he'd have a problem with the scale... Just the handling of the actual characters... And plotting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Bendis on the League?

When he had them make guest appearances, he made Barry sound like Wally, and everyone else sounded off.

Same guy who conflates Elongated Man with Plastic Man. Unless that's an editorial mandate.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

He's uped his "epic" scale during his space adventures that connect to the legion. I don't think he'd have a problem with the scale... Just the handling of the actual characters... And plotting.
    If Bendis has upped his cosmic game, that's a positive .

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/10...-dc-comics-5g/

Seems like the Green Lantern from the upcoming "Far Sector" Jo might be the next main lantern
    Hmm I remember this article BC posted on October 18th about Doom Patrol being cancelled and they mentioned this:

This is not the end of Young Animal, Gerard Way‘s curated imprint, as January also marks the beginning of Far Sector, a new Green Lantern comic that may have a lot more legs than the initial solicitation suggests.

source
    I initially wondered what they meant by that, is this story related and there are more issues than the initial 12, or is this character related and this new green lantern will be sticking around longer than the comic run suggests... I guess now I can assume that BC was referring to this 5G thing and were hearing some things at the time.

If this rumor from BC is true:

Positives

- People will stop assuming the character and story is an elseworld thing when it wasn't and has never been confirmed to be one.

- It kind of shows a certain confidence in the character and story of Far Sector, cause we really do have so many earth lantern options DC could have chosen from.

Negatives

- Grant Morrison and Liam Sharp handling this character after Nk Jemisin and Jamal Campbell, it won't be the same, I can already tell, in fact I expect it to be a bit jarring.

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    Hmm I remember this article BC posted on October 18th about Doom Patrol being cancelled and they mentioned this:

I initially wondered what they meant by that, is this story related and there are more issues than the initial 12, or is this character related and this new green lantern will be sticking around longer than the comic run suggests... I guess now I can assume that BC was referring to this 5G thing and were hearing some things at the time.

If this rumor from BC is true:

Positives

- People will stop assuming the character and story is an elseworld thing when it wasn't and has never been confirmed to be one.

- It kind of shows a certain confidence in the character and story of Far Sector, cause we really do have so many earth lantern options DC could have chosen from.

Negatives

- Grant Morrison and Liam Sharp handling this character after Nk Jemisin and Jamal Campbell, it won't be the same, I can already tell, in fact I expect it to be a bit jarring.
    I sincerely hope Morrison is off Green Lantern or at least they let him keep a post-GL Hal and give Jo as Green Lantern to someone else. I really want to like Jo and I just can't bring myself to try again to get into Morrison's style.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I'm pretty sure Morrison is off TGL after the second "season". Why would anyone think he'd continue to write Green Lantern afterwards. They would clearly relaunch it again with a new writer for the 5G stuff.

I'm willing to bet that none of the current creative teams, other then maybe Bendis, will still be on the 5G titles.

Maybe DeConnick will still be on Aquaman if she was told to introduce Jackson to set up 5G.

But now that I think about it, we have like, nine viable Earth Lanterns across DC's entire comics line. And people say the Batfamily is too big .