Page 43 of 135 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Random but less forced IMO. instead of randomly choosing to step down and play man in the chair for Luke in an odd Batman Beyond/Batman Inc era DickBat plot, they could use Gentle Man's interdimensional premise to take Bruce off the table and have rescuing Bruce from the Gentle Man's realm be the throughline for him. That way it'll feel more self-evident that Bruce will return but when Bruce returns instead of it feeling like a bit of a demotion (as I feel going from Batman back to Batwing would look like) they can use it as an easy jumping-off point to launch Gentle Man as a character; using his time as Batman to flesh him out and build his own rogues and quirks to use down the line. Luke Fox is basically a blank slate so they have plenty freedom to do with him but Julian is an actual blank slate they could do anything to really distinguish him as his own character or as Batman from his origin to his skills and abilities to even his cultural heritage (the man doesn't even have a last name). I doubt DC would put so much thought into but I still think it could be pretty cool
    I don't think they'd want of feeling of "Bruce's return is imminent." I think what they're going for is a sense of legitimacy with these picks even though they aren't the top ones. Having the Gentle man be Batman is forced because no Bat in their right mind would allow this to happen under those circumstances. It'd just be another battle for the cowl thing.

BC suggests that Bruce will fake his death and, by how things are going, I think that'll leave room for him to marry Selina so he can "retire" while ensuring that someone he can trust can take over.

Idk, that pick seems way more forced.
    Last edited by vasir12; 10-25-2019 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    I don't think they'd want of feeling of "Bruce's return is imminent." I think what they're going for is a sense of legitimacy with these picks even though they aren't the top ones. Having the Gentle man be Batman is forced because no Bat in their right mind would allow this to happen under those circumstances. It'd just be another battle for the cowl thing.

BC suggests that Bruce will take his death and, by how things are going, I think that'll leave room for him to marry Selina so he can "retire" while ensuring that someone he can trust can take over.

Idk, that pick seems way more forced.
    I disagree, i doubt DC would be foolish enough to pretend this is some sweeping permanent status quo change; at least not for all these characters. Narratively, another battle for the cowl wouldn't make sense considering evolution of the batfamily, it's simply not 2009 and it wouldn't make any sense for Dick, Tim, JPV, or Jason to want the cowl at all, let alone to usurp someone they feel shouldn't take it as opposed to simply stopping them. I say making Luke Batman feels more forced because more than any of the other characters he's the one least likely to have any reason to be Batman besides they want a black Batman and he's black around Batman. At least with Gentle Man you can make him make sense because it's a blank check and do it in a way that doesn't insult the audience's intelligence. I mean don't get me wrong, I like the idea of Luke being Batman and I'm curious to see what they pull out from this, but the choice is pretty obvious and shallow in a way. look, I'm not even saying DC has the capacity to pull my idea off in a fulfilling way, I just had the thought that using The Gentle Man would open the change up to more interesting possibilities; but it's just my opinion.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

BANNED

Would be more interesting to see Jai West as Flash.

I don’t want to get a sense that everything could be reset at some point. I’d love to see commitment to give the replacements time to work. Rebooting after two years would be a letdown.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    I don’t want to get a sense that everything could be reset at some point. I’d love to see commitment to give the replacements time to work. Rebooting after two years would be a letdown.
    Yeah! Commitment. Like that's going to happen. This thing is going to last until the initial surge of sale because of new direction ends and till the fan outrage start to affect sales enough. Unless the older generations books are being published, along side it. There is no way this is going to last. Even then older generation becomes a competition for the new generation in sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    the smartest choice would be to only have some of the changes last indefinitely (or as indefinite as a change can be in comics) and be upfront about the more ephemeral ones; ideally making the return of the OG organicaly part of the new legacies story. considering how sweeping these changes supposedly are, it would be foolish to do all at once permanently or it would be insulting to the intelligence of the general comic fans (or the ones who know the patterns) to pretend it's all going to be a permanent status quo change.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Would be more interesting to see Jai West as Flash.

I wonder how "in the family" 5G Flash will be.

(I guess Owen technically counts).

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    While the leading rumor is that Luke Fox is supposed to take over for Batman, i think The Gentle Man from Tom King's run would be a FAR better choice (and I don't even personally have a particular distaste for Luke as Batman) to take over the cowl.

One of the best things from Kings run.

They are trying to pull off a new "Silver Age" here but they are going all the wrong way about it. Times have changed, you just can't kick the door and tell people "Jay Garrick is no longer the Flash, meet our new Flash Barry Allen!". Especially if you are doing this in an established universe.

DC hasn't learned ANYTHING from N52. You can't have your cake and eat it. This timeline needs to be burned down completely (with no ties left whatsoever), and start from the stretch. Like, really from the stretch. If you can't commit to that and move on to next generation, then make it a smooth one. Crisis that correctly. Picking random characters is a suicide.

Batman: They keep pushing Foxes for this role and it never works. Either Dick or Tim belongs to this role, no ifs buts.
    Superman: Jon's a wooden character. Why not use Steel or Kon? Heck, even Kara is a suitable choice over him.
    Green Lantern: It's a massive disservice to Jessica Cruz. I have a feeling that this more has to do with the fact that she's a Johns created character.
    Flash: I understand that Wally is "tainted" for the role. They will probably retire him in the next event. But why not Avery or someone that makes sense?
    Wonder Woman: I am very curious who will be up for the task. Maybe her rival Aleka from Azzarello run?
    Last edited by Waterfall; 10-26-2019 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfall View Post
    They are trying to pull off a new "Silver Age" here but they are going all the wrong way about it. Times have changed, you just can't kick the door and tell people "Jay Garrick is no longer the Flash, meet our new Flash Barry Allen!". Especially if you are doing this in an established universe.

DC hasn't learned ANYTHING from N52. You can't have your cake and eat it. This timeline needs to be burned down completely (with no ties left whatsoever), and start from the stretch. Like, really from the stretch. If you can't commit to that and move on to next generation, then make it a smooth one. Crisis that correctly. Picking random characters is a suicide.

Batman: They keep pushing Foxes for this role and it never works. Either Dick or Tim belongs to this role, no ifs buts.
    Superman: Jon's a wooden character. Why not use Steel or Kon? Heck, even Kara is a suitable choice over him.
    Green Lantern: It's a massive disservice to Jessica Cruz. I have a feeling that this more has to do with the fact that she's a Johns created character.
    Flash: I understand that Wally is "tainted" for the role. They will probably retire him in the next event. But why not Avery or someone that makes sense?
    Wonder Woman: I am very curious who will be up for the task. Maybe her rival from Azzarello run?
    Jon and wooden don't go in the same sentence. Jon was a little ball of energy. I mean, have you read supersons or tomasi's superman or even lois and clark. It's not the character's fault bendis can't write him.Wally isn't "tainted". Heroes in crisis means nothing. Wally can be easily redeemed.They don't want something that has been done before or is obvious.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-26-2019 at 02:43 PM.

Yeah, I'm not sure where "wooden" is coming from. Jon, like him or not, is very high energy.

I've never thought about it, but Jessica being a Johns creation might have something to do with this here...

Still hoping that Flash option is still in the air. That one, I'm not sure what they're thinking. Avery would have been a really good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    Yeah, I'm not sure where "wooden" is coming from. Jon, like him or not, is very high energy.

I've never thought about it, but Jessica being a Johns creation might have something to do with this here...

Still hoping that Flash option is still in the air. That one, I'm not sure what they're thinking. Avery would have been a really good choice.
    Bendis writes him pretty much like stiff version of clark .He even started making jon say "pa". That is the wierdest thing for me.tomasi, snyder and even jurgens jon is basically ball of energy. The kid was very expressive. Bendis just can't grasp that.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfall View Post

Wonder Woman: I am very curious who will be up for the task. Maybe her rival Aleka from Azzarello run?
    Like I've said on another DC Thread, they need to create a new cast of original characters (no spinoffs/sidekicks/cross company copies). Give them major first storylines with the big name characters to establish connections with them, but also to give readers a reason to be interested this time around. I'd personally have them debut on their own without help but I'm just spit balling along the lines of what DC is doing. Heck, maybe even just commit to a proper reboot and bring in the new cast of characters there so they won't have to rely on the big names, the reboot would be all the launching pad they would need. IDK why they don't want to actually flex their creativity. As others on here have said, the trinity sell themselves as well as flash and now recently aquaman. Putting more focus on other characters won't make the universe explode. But who am I kidding, we all know DC is allergic to making good business decisions, which is why they're in the bind they are in now.
    Last edited by Cosmic Emerald 23; 10-26-2019 at 08:13 PM.

Maybe DC is just repeating their original 52 where the Trinity were removed to let others shine. Marvel did it in a way to set up "The Thunderbolts" because there were no Avengers around. This is the "Hey, the guys you really want aren't around, so buy this instead" and maybe one or two of them will have a chance at developing enough of a fanbase to continue when the Originals return.

There's no way that the Batman or Superman replacements will last longer than a year. Might be fun for a bit, but I'm not expecting anything longer than Dick Grayson's Batman run.

Where this really excites me is as a Flash fan. I think the legacy needs to move forward and going back to Barry was a mistake in the first place. As much as I love him, Wally should also be off the table too. He had his run and we need someone who has never carried the book before.

I think Avery Ho is the logical choice but whoever it is, I hope they actually stick around longer than I'm predicting the other replacements do.