Page 48 of 135 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898 ... LastLast

... so anyway, Bendis said in an interview that we'll see a big hint of things to come in the first issue of Legion. He seemed to be talking about 5G without talking about it so maybe they'll be a panel that shows the replacements will be known by the legionnaires? In some way?

I doubt it'll be anything concrete though.

My guess is showing some sort of historical documentation confirming he eventually becomes Not-Superman.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    ... so anyway, Bendis said in an interview that we'll see a big hint of things to come in the first issue of Legion. He seemed to be talking about 5G without talking about it so maybe they'll be a panel that shows the replacements will be known by the legionnaires? In some way?

I doubt it'll be anything concrete though.
    If something like this were to happen, I don't think it would be specific enough to draw accurate conclusions on who would actually take up the mantles. It would probably just be an indications that the mantles have changed hands.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'm glad to see someone being excited.

Thumbs up bro.

Oh I'm definitely excited as well, similarly to how I was excited about new52. As I mentioned within a previous post, I don't expect a lot of classic fans to be excited because it contrast drastically what many classic fans looks for into comics, but there's definitely people who are excited about these changes as well, you just have to not allow the negativity to drown those voices out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    My guess is showing some sort of historical documentation confirming he eventually becomes Not-Superman.
    Yeah, if it ties into anything it'll probably be indicating Jon eventually becomes Superman.

How many time-skips can this kid take ?

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    As DC fans we're functioning in pretty fascinating times right now.

I'm honestly excited for what the post time skip world looks like. I mean, it's got all of newness of a reboot, but it's directly built on the back of long established continuity. That's so cool to me. And I think between a lot of us growing up reading shonen manga (where time skips are common), Young Justice being successful, and a small independent film known as Avengers: Endgame doing mildly successful, I think it's something audiences today have the tools to wrap our heads around it pretty comfortable.
    I guess, an anime/manga loving comic book character can literally change the comics mechanism. What do you know. Jon kent literally made superman comics into superman manga. Superman Shippuden, jon kent returns konoh-. i mean, Metropolis .jon kent returns to Metropolis after his training.

I've been kind of hung up on how Young Justice is supposed to function going forward with 5G's likely time skip.....

.....and it just hit me.

It's so damn obvious: do what the show did!

Bendis has flat out said that he'd be taking inspiration from the show in interesting way, and they'd be adding new members in ways that people wouldn't expect. Adding in new young heroes, and aging out our current ones makes the most sense. I then heard that apparently the Bat books editorial has plans for Tim and Stephanie, and that pretty much sealed it for me.

This allows Young Justice to keep in touch with the original members even though they're no longer teens, AND it allows for for the book to still be about teens by way of the "freshmen."

Honestly, I wouldn't be at all surprised if DC was in part inspired by Young Justice when they made 5G.
    I'm apprehensive of Bendis and timeskips, but this would make sense.
    Also, calling it right now, Cassie is pregnant, and Bendis made it a plot point knowing 5G would have a built in time skip for it. I'm telling you. I'm calling it now.
    Whyyyyy though .
    As DC fans we're functioning in pretty fascinating times right now.

I'm honestly excited for what the post time skip world looks like. I mean, it's got all of newness of a reboot, but it's directly built on the back of long established continuity. That's so cool to me. And I think between a lot of us growing up reading shonen manga (where time skips are common), Young Justice being successful, and a small independent film known as Avengers: Endgame doing mildly successful, I think it's something audiences today have the tools to wrap our heads around it pretty comfortable.
    More serialized mediums can definitely facilitate time skips in a way that mainstream comics can't. An Endgame works better in a movie format where actors can stay in a role for a while but get older and phase out in comparison to comics.

I hope whatever long continuity that gets established isn't self-serving to DC Editorial's personal fan opinions. If we still get stuff back like Oracle, Steph and Cass as Batgirls, Wally as The Flash, and other legacy stuff, then I'll believe this is a timeline worth keeping around.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I guess, an anime/manga loving comic book character can literally change the comics mechanism. What do you know. Jon kent literally made superman comics into superman manga. Superman Shippuden, jon kent returns konoh-. i mean, Metropolis .jon kent returns to Metropolis after his training.
    I wish the time-skips felt as earned as those did .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

I wish the time-skips felt as earned as those did .
    Well, generally timeskips happen a character hits peak strength in their current form and cannot get to anitger level without training. In Jon's case it did happen. He was rejected by the titans.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

You know what's funny? Jon also seems to have the appetite of a shonen protagonist now lol Every other issue he's either talking about how hungry he is or he's devouring a bunch of food, or both. Very early dragon ball Goku, and Luffy. Flashs with their power set don't even talk about food as much as this kid haha

Whyyyyy though .
    New story to tell?

I hope whatever long continuity that gets established isn't self-serving to DC Editorial's personal fan opinions. If we still get stuff back like Oracle, Steph and Cass as Batgirls, Wally as The Flash, and other legacy stuff, then I'll believe this is a timeline worth keeping around.
    I don't know if you meant for this to be as ironic as it's coming off, but, yeah, these two sentences one after the other are incredibly ironic. Not even really a criticisms, but rather and observation honestly.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 11-04-2019 at 01:02 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Well, generally timeskips happen a character hits peak strength in their current form and cannot get to anitger level without training. In Jon's case it did happen. He was rejected by the titans.
    And time skips also happen when a character is confronted with a fairly large shift the trajectory of status quo. For Naruto it's his falling out with his friend, and failing to get him back. For Luffy it's the death of his brother and the realization that the world is a lot bigger and tougher than he assumed. The character's assumptions of how their lives were going to go is shaken, and in order to get back on track they go off on some form of journey of self betterment. Bendis has made that shift Jon being worried about becoming Superman because of the events of Sons of Tomorrow.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

New story to tell?
    I just feel like there are a thousand more interesting stories to give a female character than "she's pregnant!" Particularly teenaged ones.

I do think a timeskip or sorts is very likely. That, or that timeline shifting to the one we see will instantly make some age out of necessity.

A timeskip of even a few years would immediately turn all of the Teen Titans and Young Justice characters into adults - with the exception of Djinn, who doesn't age. Some of the kids would probably change their codenames too. Certainly if it indicates youth (so that means both Superboys, Beast Boy, Kid Flash).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

New story to tell?
    I guess that's enough justification for most writers, but it would just seem really tacked on for Cassie after just getting brought back in a proper fashion.
    I don't know if you meant for this to be as ironic as it's coming off, but, yeah, these two sentences one after the other are incredibly ironic. Not even really a criticisms, but rather and observation honestly.
    Do you mean me talking about editorial self-serving when I talk about stuff I would personally like to have back with this history?

I guess it could come off that way. Personally if we're establishing a long timeline that accounts for characters aging and is to lead up into a bunch of successor stories, then I see no reason why they can't re-establish more legacy heroes in the timeline, especially those who DC Editorial tried to downplay or outright ignore, particularly when it came to acknowledging their contributions to their respective franchises' mythos.
    And time skips also happen when a character is confronted with a fairly large shift the trajectory of status quo. For Naruto it's his falling out with his friend, and failing to get him back. For Luffy it's the death of his brother and the realization that the world is a lot bigger and tougher than he assumed. The character's assumptions of how their lives were going to go is shaken, and in order to get back on track they go off on some form of journey of self betterment. Bendis has made that shift Jon being worried about becoming Superman because of the events of Sons of Tomorrow.
    I guess there are parallels, but at the same time it felt like we got way more time with those protagonists in their younger years and in their base state then we did with Jon before the age-up, and we'll get even less time with late teens Jon thanks to 5G.

So I wouldn't compare it to Naruto and Luffy's development at all, at least in a satisfactory way. It just doesn't have the same cathartic impact.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

They could take another handle from the show with Conner: he doesn't age, so he can be Superboy forever if he must.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

I guess there are parallels, but at the same time it felt like we got way more time with those protagonists in their younger years and in their base state then we did with Jon before the age-up, and we'll get even less time with late teens Jon thanks to 5G.

So I wouldn't compare it to Naruto and Luffy's development at all, at least in a satisfactory way. It just doesn't have the same cathartic impact.
    I believe it's comparable to naruto. The thing is naruto had the anime to make you really feel the impact of dramatic growth. Luffy is a different beast altogether. One piece generally focuses on character development, than character growth/change. And superman literally had 4 or 5 panels for origin when he first appeared. Jon will have 3 to 4 years of journey when he becomes superman. The characterisation will be more closer to "man of tomorrow" than the "man of steel" we had post crisis, i believe.