Page 6 of 62 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 920
  1. #76
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    45,574

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I don't think the replacements are going to be pre-New 52/Rebirth characters. I mean it's called 5G so the replacements may very well be 5th gen characters like Luke and Jon.
    Isn't Luke kind of 4th gen though? He feels like it, even if not in the same age group.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    What I hope they don't do is what All-New All-Different Marvel did, and bring in a bunch of new or so-obscure-that-they-might-as-well-be-new characters to replace the main ones. DC has a huge existing roster to choose from; so choose from it.

    Note that DC has had two brushes with a generational advance since the Justice League was founded: by 2000, Hal had been replaced by Kyle, Barry had been replaced by Wally, and Ollie had been replaced by Connor. And recall the lineup that the Justice League had when Flashpoint hit: everyone had been replaced by a legacy character.

    In both cases, DC rolled it back.
    Even if this is a massive status quo change I don't see how they don't end up rolling it back.

    It's not like Marvel kept their legacy heroes in their main identities beyond Miles Morales.

  2. #77
    Astonishing Member Dataweaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,929

    Default

    Not for lack of trying.

    I have a feeling that if they try to roll this out all at once, they're going to have another New 52 on their hands.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

  3. #78
    Astonishing Member HandofPrometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Isn't Luke kind of 4th gen though? He feels like it, even if not in the same age group.

    Even if this is a massive status quo change I don't see how they don't end up rolling it back.

    It's not like Marvel kept their legacy heroes in their main identities beyond Miles Morales.
    Based on the timeline chart, I consider Luke 5th since he was introduced in the New 52.

  4. #79
    Astonishing Member Dataweaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,929

    Default

    New 52 doesn't make you 5th; it makes you 4th.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

  5. #80
    Astonishing Member HandofPrometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    New 52 doesn't make you 5th; it makes you 4th.
    Does it? Must've looked at the chart wrong then.

    Yeah. 4th would still be new 52. I think Gen4 and instantly think of 90s lmao.

  6. #81
    It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta
    Posts
    3,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Does it? Must've looked at the chart wrong then.

    Yeah. 4th would still be new 52. I think Gen4 and instantly think of 90s lmao.
    Yeah, that's because Dc chose a sort of stupid naming convention here (let's not pretend we're surprised), and named what would be "eras" generations.

    Traditionally, fans have referred to the originals/JSA as gen 1, Silver Agers/JLA as gen 2, Og Titans as gen 3 and Young Justice fellas as gen 4. IN THEORY, this would make everyone that was from Damian's age group or debuted after the New 52 Gen 5.

    The ship has sailed on that last shred of easy communication.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

    To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

  7. #82
    Ultimate Member Lee Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    10,789

    Default

    Batman: Olive Silverlock
    Superman: Gregorio De La Vega
    Flash: Wallace West
    Wonder Woman: Mari McCabe
    Green Lantern: Jennifer-Lynn Hayden

    or...

    Harley Quinn as Batman
    Harley Quinn as Superman
    Harley Quinn as Wonder Woman
    Harley Quinn as Flash
    Harley Quinn as Green Lantern
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

  8. #83
    Ultimate Member Lee Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    10,789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Yeah, that's because Dc chose a sort of stupid naming convention here (let's not pretend we're surprised), and named what would be "eras" generations.

    Traditionally, fans have referred to the originals/JSA as gen 1, Silver Agers/JLA as gen 2, Og Titans as gen 3 and Young Justice fellas as gen 4. IN THEORY, this would make everyone that was from Damian's age group or debuted after the New 52 Gen 5.

    The ship has sailed on that last shred of easy communication.
    8 more generations and DC will finally bring Wildstorm in full force with Gen13.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

  9. #84
    Astonishing Member Pohzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    tOSU
    Posts
    2,558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Harley Quinn as Batman
    Harley Quinn as Superman
    Harley Quinn as Wonder Woman
    Harley Quinn as Flash
    Harley Quinn as Green Lantern
    I think you nailed it. Lock this thread down, no further speculation is needed.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

    Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)


  10. #85
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    122

    Default

    In the long run I don't think this'll really do anything other than make for a really long year-year and a half. If this happens most if not all the characters who take over will either be spun off to other titles, that will all die within a year or just be dust binned in general. That said the only character I'd be really worried about is Jon because in the last little while it honestly feels like DC has no idea what they are doing with him despite him getting over with the fanbase. Whens the last time that's happened? I fear they'll just age him up and then ultimately out of the books and then come next reboot he's ditched.

  11. #86
    Astonishing Member Dataweaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,929

    Default

    Maybe he'll get the Bart treatment? (Aged up, subbed in for a major name that no one wanted replaced, killed off, and then bright back as a kid due to time travel shenanigans.)
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

  12. #87
    Ultimate Member Lee Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    10,789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I think you nailed it. Lock this thread down, no further speculation is needed.
    Actually...
    I'm wondering who the 5G Harley Quinn will be.
    Jenny Hex, maybe?
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

  13. #88
    Incredible Member Katana500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    955

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Batman: Olive Silverlock
    She might be a wee bit young to be Batman, but she would make a tremendous Robin!

    Could move Damian to Nightwing or something which could be interesting for a wee while.

  14. #89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Can they though? I'm not sure about the feasibility about removing all your key marquee heroes and then moving forward from that. Especially when pretty much everyone assumes these replacement stories are temporary now, and with good reason.

    If it was a separate, Elseworld, comic line that would be a whole different story.


    Isn't Jackson being a safe bet make it unlikely to be him? I think Bleeding Cool said they're not doing sidekicks or obvious replacements, that's why Dick won't be Batman.

    Jessica already took over for Hal on 2814.
    It’s not even really a problem if we get stories set in the past. Robin Year One is one of my favourite stories in all media, and I’d love to see more stories like that. The timeline facilitates this sort of approach, since you could pick any Gen and write a new Superman story. Each Gen features Superman with a different status quo because he’s allowed to develop now. There’s a lot you can do with that.

    Surprising isn’t the same as illogical. Luke makes sense. Jon makes sense. Neither is obvious because Dick, Tim, and Conner exist and Jon shouldn’t be an adult by then. Jackson is not obvious because Garth exists. They’re not suddenly going to make Vulko’s son the new Aquaman lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Even the way you phrase this, it isn’t hypocritical. The “Generation 2” DC characters have had the limelight for the entirety of Gens 2-4. They have been fully developed and are reaching stagnation. If we were to move on from them, they aren’t being robbed of development. Generation 3 never had the opportunity to fully develop due to the reversion to the second generation heroes. They were never fully the “big guns,” DC’s primary concern or focus. Skipping over them does rob them of their narrative development of stepping up to fill their mentors roles.

    I actually don’t agree with this because I think it will lead to a treadmill of increasingly shortening generations becoming more removed from their original, successful, and not broken roots that rightfully got popular in the first place. But it’s not hypocritical.
    Dick Grayson is a Gen 2 character. By publication history, he could be a Gen 1 character. The new faces of Gen 3 are the YJ characters, while the JLA and the Titans are the old guard. It’s still the same going into Gen 4. In Gen 5, it makes the most sense for Tim and the others to become the older, experienced heroes, while the younger Gen 4 characters like Damian and Jon get to be more prominent. When Wally, Roy, Garth, and Donna would still be parents if DC wasn’t terrible, it’s hard to accept them as young adults when they should be parents again with the new timeline. They had their time of prominence, even if they have been treated incredibly poorly for the past two decades.

    Hate it or love it, Dick and the others are Golden and Silver Age characters. We’re not in the 40’s, 60’s, or the 80’s anymore. There’s still plenty of stories to tell with Dick, Wally, Donna, etc., but a bunch of straight white characters from decades ago don’t need to be the focus anymore. The same of course goes for the JLA and even moreso for the JSA. Their stories can be set in the past.

    Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    In the long run I don't think this'll really do anything other than make for a really long year-year and a half. If this happens most if not all the characters who take over will either be spun off to other titles, that will all die within a year or just be dust binned in general. That said the only character I'd be really worried about is Jon because in the last little while it honestly feels like DC has no idea what they are doing with him despite him getting over with the fanbase. Whens the last time that's happened? I fear they'll just age him up and then ultimately out of the books and then come next reboot he's ditched.
    All they’d need to do is stop publishing books set in the present and start focusing on stories set in the past until they come up with “better” ideas for the present. There are no bad characters, just bad stories. Maybe it’ll never work and it’ll all end up a failure, but I’d rather they try than stick to doing the same thing they’ve been doing for decades. “Replacements” never work, successors tend to stick around for quite a while (Barry, Hal, Kyle, even Wally).
    Last edited by Grayson - The Dark Heir; 10-08-2019 at 04:22 AM.

  15. #90
    Extraordinary Member Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    6,170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post
    It’s not even really a problem if we get stories set in the past. Robin Year One is one of my favourite stories in all media, and I’d love to see more stories like that. The timeline facilitates this sort of approach, since you could pick any Gen and write a new Superman story. Each Gen features Superman with a different status quo because he’s allowed to develop now. There’s a lot you can do with that.

    Surprising isn’t the same as illogical. Luke makes sense. Jon makes sense. Neither is obvious because Dick, Tim, and Conner exist and Jon shouldn’t be an adult by then. Jackson is not obvious because Garth exists. They’re not suddenly going to make Vulko’s son the new Aquaman lol.


    Dick Grayson is a Gen 2 character. By publication history, he could be a Gen 1 character. The new faces of Gen 3 are the YJ characters, while the JLA and the Titans are the old guard. It’s still the same going into Gen 4. In Gen 5, it makes the most sense for Tim and the others to become the older, experienced heroes, while the younger Gen 4 characters like Damian and Jon get to be more prominent. When Wally, Roy, Garth, and Donna would still be parents if DC wasn’t terrible, it’s hard to accept them as young adults when they should be parents again with the new timeline. They had their time of prominence, even if they have been treated incredibly poorly for the past two decades.

    Hate it or love it, Dick and the others are Golden and Silver Age characters. We’re not in the 40’s, 60’s, or the 80’s anymore. There’s still plenty of stories to tell with Dick, Wally, Donna, etc., but a bunch of straight white characters from decades ago don’t need to be the focus anymore. The same of course goes for the JLA and even moreso for the JSA. Their stories can be set in the past.



    All they’d need to do is stop publishing books set in the present and start focusing on stories set in the past until they come up with “better” ideas for the present. There are no bad characters, just bad stories. Maybe it’ll never work and it’ll all end up a failure, but I’d rather they try than stick to doing the same thing they’ve been doing for decades. “Replacements” never work, successors tend to stick around for quite a while (Barry, Hal, Kyle, even Wally).
    Funny you say that because almost all the notable characters of color that DC has were created decades ago as well. They just never utilized them as well as they should have.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •