Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Are mutants not worried about overpopulation?

Given one of their 3 main laws is now to "make more mutants" and they're resurrecting every mutant they can, shouldn't mutants worry about the effects of their exponential population growth on the world?

I can understand bringing back those that died unjustly, but to actively campaign for mutants to have more babies doesn't seem like the smartest decision in the long run, unless they're expecting a huge decrease in the number of humans...

Do you think this will be better explored in the future? With overpopulation being such a hot topic in the real world, it seemed weird no one countered Kurt's suggestion in HOX #6.

Krakoa can expand and it's not limited by distance or environment. They are just going to make more habitats. One issue could be that it is going to be harder to control that many mutants from different backgrounds and with different ideas coming together under a single nation. Plus add the resurrections and it might get very complicated.

In the real world, ‘overpopulation’ isn’t really a concrete concept with the problem just being unfair distribution of wealth and resources. I’m sure if Krakoa is trying to ensure the safety of all mutants, then as long as everyone is fed and secured then they won’t have those problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    Krakoa can expand and it's not limited by distance or environment. They are just going to make more habitats. One issue could be that it is going to be harder to control that many mutants from different backgrounds and with different ideas coming together under a single nation. Plus add the resurrections and it might get very complicated.
    Yeah, Krakoa will either grow higher, wider or deeper to accommodate an influx of mutants. They would also have to accommodate mutants who need special atmospheres to survive(water breathers for example).

Eventually once the "threat" (whatever the hell it is) has passed they are gonna need to let people die. Especially if the mutant population explodes like they want to.
    I only continue to read X-books because I don't spend any money on it.

Astonishing Member

I'd be more worryed about the 5, they takeout gold balls, exlier, or proteus or the anima backups there resuscitation are done,

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

They're a long way away from that and it'll never happen in-story with the way Marvel-time works.

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    I'd be more worryed about the 5, they takeout gold balls, exlier, or proteus or the anima backups there resuscitation are done,
    Goldballs feels like the most irreplaceable, because he's the least powerful/most vulnerable, he makes the eggs and no one else has a power even similar to his. Proteus, Hope and Elixir seem like they'd be hard to kill. You'd have to sneak up on Eva. And if that happened, they can have Synch for Hope. Maybe Christopher for Elixir. And maybe Magik for Eva?

I imagine that that’s going to become a plot point at some point. You don’t really introduce a system whose lynchpin is something like that and not have something happen to it.

Fair point, actually. The high elves in Lord Of The Rings were basically immortal, and because of that had few children.

Humans are gonna live longer due to the drugs too

They probably have multiple husks ready to roll for each of the 5. They would be just as hard to kill as anyone else. They could even fall under the Force Conventions and secretly have duplicates on hand in suspension.

Even the book talks about alternatives that could be used like Synch of Mimic. Ways around most problems could be found.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 10-07-2019 at 04:25 PM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    With overpopulation being such a hot topic in the real world
    People have been talking about overpopulation being an imminent threat since ancient Greece, a bad distribution of people and resources is the only problem, we have a lot of room to grow (and that is without even counting space colonization, which should have already started in the Marvel Universe) and if they bring back all dead mutants that's just 16 millions

BANNED

Not by the looks of things; in fact, I gotta be honest, I STILL think Charles has done something to the wonder-drugs to cause a population boom on the human side of things. I mean, he doesn’t care about tensions and seems confident enough that Krakoa can withstand any attacks by the humans, if not retaliate in kind?

If they make too many, they'll just eat 'em.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

They'd become so advanced they could become spacefaring like the eternals and inhumans. I actually think that'll be their next steps since it's what the other Earthborn races ended up doing.

It's even what humans want to do, and in comics there know they can explore other places and live there.