Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Default Would You Watch a 'Doctor Psycho' Movie Based on the Style of 'Joker'?

I was thinking about how lots of people were bringing up incels regarding 'Joker', and then it hit me: Doctor Psycho is right there.

What makes 'Joker' so talked about is that it's provocative. It goes places other comic book movies haven't gone before and can talk about things others can't or have not been able to do so in its capacity. I feel like Doctor Psycho is the DC villain that can really do this. While most comic book villains are obviously jerks to anyone, misogyny has been barely explored in the genre. The closest might be Killmonger who is seen repeatedly committing violent acts to and berating women (as opposed to T'Challa who is always shown to respect them). But this isn't because they're women. It's because (in the first case) they're white and they're in his way. Furthermore Killmonger's deal was more about fighting racial oppression with colonialism, not misogyny.

Doctor Psycho presents the opportunity to tackle this thing head on. The character is undoubtedly a misogynist as stated by his creator, and he is the villain of Wonder Woman, the feminist hero in existence. But to do a movie on Doctor Psycho (who functions very much like an incel many times) would be extremely ballsy and would face a lot more pushback than 'Joker' did because it would be about an incel, which 'Joker' isn't. A serial killer who targets women, hates them more than anything, is ridiculed for his appearance and secretly desires women (and if keeping his powers, mentally subjugates them) would be just as controversial, if not far more than 'Joker'.

The question is, should it even get made?

I mean, I'd watch it because he's a Wonder Woman character and I'm a completionist. But I'd rather have an Indiana Jones style movie exploring Barbara Ann's psyche, personally. Or any of the other female villains that explore the dynamic of female relationships.

Oh, absolutely. Unfortunately, that's never gonna happen. If these villain movies become a thing it's gonna all about Batman villains as usual.

But I'd rather have an Indiana Jones style movie exploring Barbara Ann's psyche, personally
    Cheetah isn't grounded enough for the Joker style movie. Priscilla Rich version could work though.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I mean, I'd watch it because he's a Wonder Woman character and I'm a completionist. But I'd rather have an Indiana Jones style movie exploring Barbara Ann's psyche, personally. Or any of the other female villains that explore the dynamic of female relationships.
    Maybe Silver Swan then? I can't remember the name of which version but there's one who wants to be a ballerina but can't because she's told she's not beautiful enough. Since Joker borrows heavily from Taxi Driver and Kings of Comedy, this could be inspired by the film Black Swan.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Oh, absolutely. Unfortunately, that's never gonna happen. If these villain movies become a thing it's gonna all about Batman villains as usual.
    Yeah, this is my worry too, and this idea came from realising now that Joaquin Phoenix is down for a sequel I'm really getting a bit tired of Batman related stuff. DC has so many more villains from other corners they can explore but it seems like no one knows about it.

Mighty Member

You would need a good enough Psycho to justify it.

Probably, yes. I'd also be interested in an Ares movie that adds more depth to what being a God of War means (maybe giving him an arc that is a mixture of his Perez and Rucka depictions).

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Maybe Silver Swan then? I can't remember the name of which version but there's one who wants to be a ballerina but can't because she's told she's not beautiful enough. Since Joker borrows heavily from Taxi Driver and Kings of Comedy, this could be inspired by the film Black Swan.
    Her name is Helen Alexandros if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthor View Post
    You would need a good enough Psycho to justify it.
    Peter Dinklage?

Well, I'm not even going to watch the actual Joker film, and I'm probably bigger on him than I am Dr. Psycho.

I think villain origin stories have worked great for DC animated shows. Two of the best ever DCAU episodes are "Mad Love" and "Heart of Ice" from Batman: The Animated Series, focusing on Harley Quinn (whom I'm pretty tired of now but wasn't tired of in the 1990s) and Mr. Freeze, respectively. But full-length motion pictures, which are hard to get off the ground in the first place and are so few and far between? No thanks.

Of course, that means we'd need a Wonder Woman animated series...

I think the Joker movie is for people who really like this character. So if they make a movie about a DC character I really like and it looks good and interesting, I'll probably give it a chance.

Hopefully, if this line of movies continue, they should do more than just about the Batman universe... DC/WB need to expand and realize DC has tons of awesome, unique and fascinating characters that would make great movies.

Amazing Member

No thank you, joker was bad enough

Quote Originally Posted by Serpis View Post
    No thank you, joker was bad enough
    That's how I feel, and I didn't even watch it. I don't want to focus on villains, and I definitely don't want them portrayed sympathetically, and even more than that, I don't want good/moral characters trashed (as I understand there was some tarnishing of Thomas Wayne, though with some ambiguity - have issues with him, Jor-El, Alura, and Zor-El taking villainous turns in the comics, and am even more against it when in service of the villain).

However, just because I wouldn't watch it doesn't mean it wouldn't make money. Hope we don't get a spate of derivative ones, though. I dislike "provocative" in the sense of treating villains this way, and I'm generally uninterested in villains anyway, and this makes me actively dislike the villains. Which I already kinda do with Joker, since he's overused, IMO.

I think Cheetah or Giganta would work quite well. They're both characters where, realistically, they became monsters because of their choices. It's not an accident or random chance. In a way you could see it as punishment for their evil actions. You can reasonably say they're tragic characters, but the tragedy is one of their own making.

Should he be played by a dwarf actor?

I am still scarred from season 1 of Jessica Jones. Psycho is even worse so no for me. That is not a place I want to visit for 2 hours especially if he is vile as he has been in the Perez and Rucka runs