Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Default Any '5G' Superman lineup ideas?

Pretty sure 5G is bull, or at most an imprint, but assuming a timejump leading into Jon as Superman being the status quo *was* something that happened, any thoughts on what you'd like that lineup to look like?

Off the top of my head, I've thought for awhile I've love to see Milk Wars' Gerard Way/Steve Orlando team do a future Jon book; as far as I'm concerned Jon as Superman should capture the feeling Batman 666 did of the central iconography on speed and fired through a railgun, and I think they'd be a pair to get it there, with maybe Mikel Janin on art. And a Tom Taylor/Bruno Redono Action Comics as the more 'traditional' character-driven alternative. Have Bendis continue his run with a President Superman title showing what Clark's up to these days, a concept that meets pretty neatly at the nexus of what he's doing on Superman and Action right now; Doc Shaner should be done with Strange Adventures by the time this would hit, so he'd be ideal. With a rotating team on the requisite flashback classic Superman adventures title, or Jeff Loveness and Juan Feyerra if sticking to a single pair. And Magdalene Visaggio somewhere, whether on a third Jon book or a Conner Kent title of some kind since I recall she's a fan. And if a Superman/Batman title came out of this, put Tynion on it since he did Luke Fox - our rumored new Batman - really well in Detective and I'm sure he'd do fine with Jon.

Other ideas for who to put on these, or even directions if you feel like sharing? Ideas for who among Lois/Jimmy/Supergirl/etc. would also still merit a title in this theoretical brave new world?
    Buh-bye

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

It would be wierd to have superman/batman with jon/luke when Damian's around.

My first idea is, don't do it.

On the lemon and lemonade si de of things, keep Clark active, don't kill or de power him, make it that he stop as Superman on Earth, leaving Jon to take care of things, while he focus on more cosmic adventures.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I sure hope it's an imprint and not the DCU as a whole. However, from what I've read and taking from Dan's comment "this is the DC Universe going forward, and Jon completely replaces Clark...not interested. We can have Jon working alongside Clark, whomever alongside Diana, Luke alongside Bruce...but completely instead of...not interested in the least. These latest rounds of announcements solidifies my opinion that Dan Didio has no clue what makes the DC Universe and it's characters so popular and to have had such longevity.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I posted this in the DC forum but it's applicable here...

I'm just not remotely interested in reading a Superman that isn't Clark Kent, a Batman that isn't Bruce Wayne, and/or a Wonder Woman that isn't Diana Prince.

Sorry, folks. Maybe that makes me part of the problem with comics right now, and maybe it'll be wildly successful despite my lack of interest. I saw Marvel try this a few years ago and it didn't work, so I have no reason to believe it'll work for DC. But if this is the direction they want to go in more power to them. I just won't be a part of it.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post

I'm just not remotely interested in reading a Superman that isn't Clark Kent, a Batman that isn't Bruce Wayne, and/or a Wonder Woman that isn't Diana Prince.

Sorry, folks. Maybe that makes me part of the problem with comics right now, and maybe it'll be wildly successful despite my lack of interest. I saw Marvel try this a few years ago and it didn't work, so I have no reason to believe it'll work for DC. But if this is the direction they want to go in more power to them. I just won't be a part of it.
    AMEN!! I agree with you!!

Astonishing Member

Everything here

I don't feel I need to justify this view, me loving the genuine article is not a problem

Poor hack writing and bad art is, not saying there's lots of that, but I'll buy a book if I like it, changing a character but trying to sell it on the legacy of an older one never interests me

Where legacy had worked imo it is when they became relevant whilst the original stayed around

With one exception imo

If DC do a wholesale replacement like marvel did in many books, I'll just drop them like I did marvel

I'm sure they won't notice but there it is

Couldn't have said it any better myself. Co-signed 100%

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I sure hope it's an imprint and not the DCU as a whole. However, from what I've read and taking from Dan's comment "this is the DC Universe going forward, and Jon completely replaces Clark...not interested. We can have Jon working alongside Clark, whomever alongside Diana, Luke alongside Bruce...but completely instead of...not interested in the least. These latest rounds of announcements solidifies my opinion that Dan Didio has no clue what makes the DC Universe and it's characters so popular and to have had such longevity.
    I've always thought Didio doesn't have a clue!! It always seems he's trying to replace the long running characters fans love with darker characters and to change the Dc universe into a dark universe!! Void of happiness, filled with nothing but pain and suffering!! That his idea of great characters and great storytelling!

Void of happiness, filled with nothing but pain and suffering!! That his idea of great characters and great storytelling!
    A lot of people seem to feel that way. Many say "dark" like it equals "good" when talking about shows or books or whatnot. And of the most highly praised (by fans or critics) comic book stories, how many are grim or involve killing off or torturing main characters? How many even have mostly happy endings after the suffering?

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    My first idea is, don't do it.
    This. So much this.

And a million times this.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    And the Kents being dead has an in-universe reason anyway. A couple of them actually - Manhattan's tampering and/or Vyndyktv orchestrating their deaths. So essentially, we are back to the Pre-Flashpoint origin, and the one big deviation has been caused by tampering with the fabric of reality that might get undone by the end of Doomsday Clock.
    I don't see DDC being anything relevant at this point except MAYBE a lead in to the next Crisis. And even then I don't know how far out this is planned.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I don't see DDC being anything relevant at this point except MAYBE a lead in to the next Crisis. And even then I don't know how far out this is planned.
    I think we might still, possibly, end up with a few minor tweaks to origins and history. Clark's parents being alive again has been foreshadowed since issue 1 and Bendis keeps saying "wait until Clock is finished I can't talk about the Kents." Maybe Bendis is just being cagey but I won't be surprised if the Kents return when Clock's over.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think we might still, possibly, end up with a few minor tweaks to origins and history. Clark's parents being alive again has been foreshadowed since issue 1 and Bendis keeps saying "wait until Clock is finished I can't talk about the Kents." Maybe Bendis is just being cagey but I won't be surprised if the Kents return when Clock's over.
    I've been convinced for a while now that they're trying to get back to some sort of post-Crisis type status since that's the most popular, and most stable, period in his history. All signs point to that. Sending Jon into the future, bringing the Kents back. Even eliminating his connection to the Legion. All are post Crisis innovations.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    There's rumors of an actual time skip for 5G, and you know what? I wouldn't be half surprised if the Kents' early death is indeed retconned, but Pa still died in the Brainiac storyline and even Ma has since passed in the upcoming new present day. They were alive but they'll still be gone in the present. It seems like the type of thing they'd do these days, strange decisions that actually please neither side of the fanbase.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El