Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    ...so that's a 'no'.
    Lol alright I’ll take a shot.

Jeff Loveness writing a Jon Kent book where he’s trying to redefine what it means to be Superman. I don’t want Jon to be Clark Jr. and while I initially preferred to use this idea for a hypothetical Kon as Superman run, I’ll use it for Jon. I want to see Jon take up some of that Golden Age/New 52 social crusading but with a cyberpunk angle. Give Jon his mom’s firebrand attitude and smart ass mouth.

With Clark off being President all the villains and crime syndicates and corrupt government officials see it as a free for all for Metropolis. Runaway black market science experiments, corrupt corps other than Lexcorp initiating hostile takeovers of all the newspapers and channels to cover up them selling and buying black market tech to Earth nations and new galactic civilizations that have come to Metropolis where the United Planets is headquartered. Loveness is great at handeling comedy and tragedy and I want this book to tackle both. For art I’d like to keep Reis but if not him I’d like Feyerra as well. Doc is a great artist but he’s too “clean” for my take on this.

It would also be cool if they let Supergirl grow up a little and become a more mature kind of hero like Power Girl but different. I could see Gail Simone writing a book like this.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    It would also be cool if they let Supergirl grow up a little and become a more mature kind of hero like Power Girl but different. I could see Gail Simone writing a book like this.
    I'm cool with that - like Gar and Raven, they never seem to let her grow up. Well, they did once, but undid it and she's had to be a kid since. Anyway, as long as everyone else ages at the same rate she does, it sounds great. Not for her to be like Power Girl, for me (read very little of her and she made no impression in that tiny bit), but to grow in general. Of course, sans de-aging (resurrected at age she died), she'd be about 32 when Jon was 10. If they were actually going to commit to making the gen 1 one heroes old and in same continuity as gen 5.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I've been enjoying Bendis' stuff,but if this ends up being the new status quo going forward (Jon replacing his dad) ,I'm probably out. I like the concept of Jon and I've liked both incarnations of him (Rebirth and Bendis), but I'm sorry,he's not Super man and he'll never be, and I'm not interested in reading a Superman comic without Superman I.

The ONLY exception is if this 5G thing ends up its own thing set in the future and we still get a book or two following the real Superman ,or it's clear from the start this replacement story is a short term thing (like 2 years max). If this 5G stuff is going to be like the New 52 and ends up being a protracted several year thing...that will probably signal me finally tapping out for good. I'm about to turn 40 and honestly the only comics I buy are Superman books. If Superman's gone,I'm gone.
    Co-signed for the most part, sadly. I love Jon but this is a a bridge too far. They keep doing this with Clark and Bruce. Are they ashamed of them or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Co-signed for the most part, sadly. I love Jon but this is a a bridge too far. They keep doing this with Clark and Bruce. Are they ashamed of them or something?
    I like Jon too, but I don't want him to be the main Superman. If they really do a 5G line of books I'd want them set in the "near future", and still have current books about Clark, Bruce, and Diana to read. I'm a fan of the characters not just the costumes.

I don't want the following characters aged out of business in favor of new untried versions:
    Clark, Bruce, Diana, Dick, Barbara, Kate, Kara, Lois, Donna, Steve, Etta, Barry, Wally, Hal, Guy, John, Ollie, Dinah, Roy, Arthur, Garth, Mera, Lillith, Mal, Karen, Kory, Raven, Vic, Gar, Mari, Ray, Ryan. The Hawks get a pass because they'll just reincarnate.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    ...so that's a 'no'.
    Damn dude, I didn't even see this thread. I'm in there.

Going under the assumption that this is an (incredibly ill advised) shake up for the main line (this is more solid than it's literally ever been), I'd say Jon's version of Superman shouldn't have the whole line. Give him Superman and Batman/Superman. Superman would totally have to be by Steve Orlando. It's what he's trained for. The idea would be a high concept version of your first job after college. Jon went off with the Legion in order to help them and give them new perspective, and in turn be given new perspective to bring back to the 21st century, so this is that.

This is graduating with your super liberal arts degree, coming out of the very specific and unique closed environment that is college, and getting out into the real word for better or worse.

In a lot of ways Jon is something of a stranger in a strange land now, and the inherent boundless can-do optimism of the 31st century along with some of the customs from there that have become second nature to him make him kind of come off a bit strange to the people of 21st century Earth.

Action Comics would still be Bendis, and that would still be the Daily Planet stuff along with President Superman stuff as it affects Earth.

It's also maybe worth mentioning that as indicated by the solicitations, Jon was originally supposed to be gone with Jor-El for roughly a year. Part of Bleedingcool's "evidence" for this "news" is based on the chart showing Jon coming back from the future, and it saying he's aged a year later. Very likely that the chart was an older version that hadn't been updated. Just putting that out there.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I've been enjoying Bendis' stuff,but if this ends up being the new status quo going forward (Jon replacing his dad) ,I'm probably out. I like the concept of Jon and I've liked both incarnations of him (Rebirth and Bendis), but I'm sorry,he's not Super man and he'll never be, and I'm not interested in reading a Superman comic without Superman I.

The ONLY exception is if this 5G thing ends up its own thing set in the future and we still get a book or two following the real Superman ,or it's clear from the start this replacement story is a short term thing (like 2 years max). If this 5G stuff is going to be like the New 52 and ends up being a protracted several year thing...that will probably signal me finally tapping out for good. I'm about to turn 40 and honestly the only comics I buy are Superman books. If Superman's gone,I'm gone.
    I haven’t posted here in a long time but I just had to agree with this. My feelings exactly.

Lightbulb

My lineup

Jon
    Kara
    Kon

Possible additions

Val Zod (hey Marvel did dimension-hopping with Miles Morales, so why not?)
    Kara (from Earth-Two to go along with Val)
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Comic Geek in General

I figure
    Jon (as Superman)
    Kara (Superwoman/ or the Main Earth Power Girl.....she’s what 17 now, if we do a time jump she’d be closer to OG Power Girl in Age (20’s), and given the rough few years Kara has had, from her quest, being infected by the Batman who Laughs and her encounter with Manhattan maybe she’s more cautious than the OG Power Girl)
    Conner (maybe he takes the Guardian ID, or still Superboy, as I’m. It sure he can Age)

For supporting cast
    Kathy (from Tomasi’s run, as the Lana Lang)
    Damien (maybe as Nightwing or the New Red Hood)
    Not sure on who Jon’s Lois would be

Incredible Member

I’m down with 5G personally if it returns Kyle and Wally to prominence.

There’s nothing stopping DC from publishing older “G” books.

Frankly, I think you might get BETTER Clark-as-Superman stories setting them in the past because it insulates you from the “this changes everything” mentality.

Instead, you go back to having the fates of Keith White or Bibbo or the Galactic Golem to play with and no more tinkering with Superman himself except as a character study.

Amazing Member

They could have Jon joinning the army like Frank Miller's Superman: Year One,before deciding to be Superman.

Comic Geek in General

If Jon where to have a Lois Type Character, why not a Zod......,think about it......say Ursa has a daughter who either ages thanks to the time jump or some other comic explanation, she’s sent to Earth or comes to Earth trying to enlist Superman’s aid against say Mongul or Brainiac or Steppenwolf, as her parents and brother are out of then fight.......she winds up with Jon as the incumbent Superman who agrees to aid her against said threat, eventually she decides to stay on Earth and at some point she falls for Jon......yeah I know it’s a bit hackneyed, but keep in mind it could further cement the Zod’s as a somewhat more prudent political power in the viewpoint of a member off then House of El with a member of House of Zod........

BANNED

It's dumb for the brats to replace their fathers and is contrary to Didios idee fixe of them subverting the old generation but then again it could be his latest brainwave to redoing the New 52 the right way like he wanted to do with the countdown series.

Quote Originally Posted by Decoy View Post
    If Jon where to have a Lois Type Character, why not a Zod......,think about it......say Ursa has a daughter who either ages thanks to the time jump or some other comic explanation, she’s sent to Earth or comes to Earth trying to enlist Superman’s aid against say Mongul or Brainiac or Steppenwolf, as her parents and brother are out of then fight.......she winds up with Jon as the incumbent Superman who agrees to aid her against said threat, eventually she decides to stay on Earth and at some point she falls for Jon......yeah I know it’s a bit hackneyed, but keep in mind it could further cement the Zod’s as a somewhat more prudent political power in the viewpoint of a member off then House of El with a member of House of Zod........
    I think it'd be a mistake to have the new generation's supporting cast and villains to be carbon copies of the old.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Hold on so, everyone seems be assuming that 5G will be a skip forward it time. Is that "confirmed" or implied? I'm mean, last we heard, Luke Fox(who is like in his 20s) was supposed to be taking over for Batman and Jon after basically graduating future college was supposed to take over for Superman. So why are people also talking about grown up Supergirl's and Batgirls? I'm asking.

Then again, Snyder Crisis/Metal 2 is supposed to be the jump off for all this, so it's totally possible that we'll see an Avengers style 4 years later deal just after it. Technically they've already done something similar with Infinite Crisis being followed up by One Year later (ironically enough Clark, Bruce, and Diana stopped being Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman there too)

Any really, what's 4 years(I picked 4 because that's general number of years for college) for most characters? That's short enough for I'll defined in terms of age teen character to be perpetually 18, but that's long enough to shift some characters drastically if you want.

Basically a Young Justice (TV) style time skip.

But what's more likely is that it'll be 4 years for Jon, and maybe like a year or 2 for everyone else.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.