Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'd be curious to see DC's reaction if versions from different generations comes out on top. Let's say this is an experiment in imprints, and each generation will have a few books in it. What happens when that experiment fails, but the Superman from G2 and the Batman from G4 and the Wonder Woman from G1 all end up being the most popular versions? If/when DC falls back on a single continuity, if their best sellers all come from wildly different versions of the DCU it's gonna be hard to keep using those best selling versions without losing and changing a lot, which potentially sinks your new shared universe before it's launched.
    I doubt they'll have a bunch of books running ongoing with the same IP actively competing against one another at all times.

I'm expecting there to be books where we can catch a glimpse into 1G and 2G (those are the ones Didio said stories were coming for), but I'd be surprised if it were more than a mini or aspects of a book not directly about just that.

Like, in Snyder's JSA I'm expecting to function as almost a 1G anthology book with the JSA at its core. I have to imagine 5G will be the focus of the line, or at least the very tip of the spear, but there's gonna be less comprehensive gateways into Gs 1 and 2 in some form or another along with us likely not being completely without Bruce, Clark, and Di in the present in an effort to make this feel like a continuation of something as well as a starting point for new people.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

You know what? I wonder what Leviathan is going to be like in 5G?

Like, I think it could be interesting if Jon saw Leviathan's point (more so if Leviathan is Damian), and Clark still wasn't for it. Remember, Leviathan seemed to speaking rather highly of Jon when he was talking about the trap that was made for him.

But maybe if there's a time skip there will be a number of heroes that are shacked up with Leviathan, and have legitimized SHIELD style it in a way?

I can't decide on if I think its only gonna be a 1 to 2 year time skip for everyone but Jon (who gets 4 to 5), or if everyone gets an Endgame/Legion style 5 Years later treatment for simplicity sake? I'm leaning towards the 1 to 2 year right now, because in the Word Balloon interview we just got, Bendis said that the Legion have more of a reason for getting Jon than just the stuff with the UP. Similar to the older Legion/Superboy stories, they have inside info on his future and what's to come, but unlike the older continuity we, as the reader, don't also know it too, so it unfolds for us too.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I doubt they'll have a bunch of books running ongoing with the same IP actively competing against one another at all times.

I'm expecting there to be books where we can catch a glimpse into 1G and 2G (those are the ones Didio said stories were coming for), but I'd be surprised if it were more than a mini or aspects of a book not directly about just that.

Like, in Snyder's JSA I'm expecting to function as almost a 1G anthology book with the JSA at its core. I have to imagine 5G will be the focus of the line, or at least the very tip of the spear, but there's gonna be less comprehensive gateways into Gs 1 and 2 in some form or another along with us likely not being completely without Bruce, Clark, and Di in the present in an effort to make this feel like a continuation of something as well as a starting point for new people.
    I think, they will publish other gen books alongside. How long it will last, will depend on success of books and popilularity. If a gen books sales are not good it ends and the gen will go to limbo. until the next exciting direction for the gen character .it will be more like multiverse concept,but this time more hypertime based. Hypertime allows for jsa to make choices that does not affect the justice league. Jsa will not lose importance. My pet wish is like, in doomsday clock we got to see goldenage guy, silverage guy, bryne superman and the current semi-secret origins superman . So, those supermen still exist in hypertime/metaverse. I believe reality warps/reboots split those timelines to separate branch of the mainline. Generations will address it.This way they could make those supermen return. When they need them to or if their books are successful continue it.
    The trickiness of this is they will to create a hypertime map or something to keep track of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I'm not sure what DC's game is. After the fairly recent failure of DCYOU, and the failure of all the other times they've tried this (like the early 90's), I struggle to imagine DC being stupid enough to think it'd work now. I mean, I don't give them a lot of credit but replacing the whole line across the board with new faces.....it's never worked. It didn't even work with Hal and Barry (and later Wally and Kyle) across the entire publishing line, just a few franchises.

I feel like if DC does a full 5G sweep, with new faces in all the major hero roles, it'll fail faster and harder than DCYOU did. I can't imagine them trying this without keeping some familiar faces in familiar settings, just as a safety net. It's either that, or 5G is going to be established, very visibly, as a short-term thing. Maybe they plan to use that to explore/fix their continuity then return to regularly scheduled programming, I don't know, but the idea that fans will accept a different Trinity (among other heroes) for more than a short-term story is.....laughable.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

DC wouldn’t even keep DickBats going when it was widely loved and selling great, but they’re going to bench Bruce long term for Luke Fox? I get that a Black Batman will be more headlining grabbing than Dick taking over but I just can’t buy this being a long term thing. No way is DC ever permanently sidelining their cash cow. It would be Suicide.

Like I said, I think there's going to be outlets for Gens 1 and 2 running pretty much concurrency with the main Gen 5 books, but presently I'm strongly doubting that you're going to see something like, for example, a Superman Gen 1 book, a Superman gen 2 book, and a Superman gen 5 book all running at the same time monthly no less. That just doesn't seem likely at this juncture. And I'm not sure I could imagine any company saturating the market quite like that.

So that's why I'm thinking you'll have things like pop up 6 to 12 issue Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen/The Green Lantern/Mister Miracle style minis (a format DC seems to be really enjoying atm) devoted to characters from those gens, and in the meantime you'll likely have what are basically Gen 1 and 2 anthology books like what I'm expecting from Snyder's JSA. Plus, I imagine the main books will more than likely give us where they are now.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    DC wouldn’t even keep DickBats going when it was widely loved and selling great, but they’re going to bench Bruce long term for Luke Fox? I get that a Black Batman will be more headlining grabbing than Dick taking over but I just can’t buy this being a long term thing. No way is DC ever permanently sidelining their cash cow. It would be Suicide.
    Not implying that this is permanent, but rather that I have to imagine that, similar to All-New All-Different, they'll give this new gen center stage in as honest a manner as they can for the new relaunch. That said, it also seems clear that they know how much history means to DC fans, so there's gonna be outlets and books to access the stuff before Gen 5 on some level.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 10-28-2019 at 09:40 AM.