Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Why Do People Keep Saying We Need More Escapism?

I frequently see this phrase or variations of it popping up online. " We need more escapism in our fiction " and stuff like that. I often find myself rather confused by this statement as it seems to me we aren't lacking escapism at all. Disney alone provides enough escapism to last us til the end of the human race. So what is this lack of escapism people are complaining about?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I frequently see this phrase or variations of it popping up online. " We need more escapism in our fiction " and stuff like that. I often find myself rather confused by this statement as it seems to me we aren't lacking escapism at all. Disney alone provides enough escapism to last us til the end of the human race. So what is this lack of escapism people are complaining about?
    It's trotted out as a stance against 'politics in my entertainment', typically by those who are mad that, say, diversity is in their films. "I play games to get away from all that stuff," they yell when a transgender character has the temerity to exist in their fantasy world full of orcs and dragons.

Invincible Member

Well, it's a legit stance in the same sense that some people don't like say westerns and want more sci-fi in their entertainment. Or want more sexy people in their entertainment. Or whatever. Thing is, people who truly feel that way can usually find entertainment that meets their needs.

The thing that bothers me is when some people act as if "politics" in entertainment is some new thing. Social issues in art has existed since there's been art.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Well, it's a legit stance in the same sense that some people don't like say westerns and want more sci-fi in their entertainment. Or want more sexy people in their entertainment. Or whatever. Thing is, people who truly feel that way can usually find entertainment that meets their needs.

The thing that bothers me is when some people act as if "politics" in entertainment is some new thing. Social issues in art has existed since there's been art.
    Yes, it goes back to the anti-Mastodon movement in 25,000 BCE.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Most times when I hear it, it is a complaint against grimdark, though the political thing applies, as well.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

It’s a biproduct of a world where moderation no longer exists and even the hint of something you don’t believe in is enough to send people into a blind rage. It’s a biproduct of a subculture that is breaking down into smaller and smaller subsets with little to no interaction between them. It’s more pernounced on the conservative side right now, but it’s happening on the Left to. Ideologies when kept in their rightful place are the engine of change(left) and the protectors of a cultures identity (right). But it’s true moderates that actually get work done. Conservatives are often to resilient to even benificial changes not realizing that cultures that don’t change often die or put themselves at a serious disadvantage against other cultures. Liberals are often to idealistic. To quick to glob on to anything that looks shiny and new. This to can also be a bad thing. It’s moderates the people who respect tradition but aren’t scared of change that are what we need right now in the world, country, and even in our irrelevant world of pop culture.
    Last edited by mathew101281; 08-25-2018 at 10:29 AM.

Ultimate Member

It means I want stories about certain demographics to fit the reality that I want to see.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Because they hate anything that smacks of things like "realism" in their fiction despite the fact that there does indeed need to be a little realism in fiction in order for it to be believable enough that people can suspend their disbelief. That's the crux of it anyway. In the end though its just an excuse though.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

When I hear it, It usually starts with, "I go to see movies/ watch television to be entertained." It's usually in the context of a discussion about something that got heavily into real life issues of some sort, be it politics or rape or just not being a lot of fun every minute. A lot of times, it's also, "I have to wrack my brain all day at work and it's a tense job. What I want after that is entertainment. I want to watch something that I can just vegetate and have some laughs." Which is perfectly legitimate.
    Power with Girl is better.

Because we don’t read comic books for things we see outside or read about in the news.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Yes, it goes back to the anti-Mastodon movement in 25,000 BCE.
    That was annoying, and that pro wooly Rhino group. Like what were they on?
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

BANNED

I guess some people want fiction without any form of realism, satire, social/political commentary, or philosophical exploration — basically without artistry. That works for video games because they have the interactive aspect, but it makes for a brainless and dull book/movie/song etc.

Kon93

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    I guess some people want fiction without any form of realism, satire, social/political commentary, or philosophical exploration — basically without artistry. That works for video games because they have the interactive aspect, but it makes for a brainless and dull book/movie/song etc.
    Your funny.so every sci-fi and fantasy movie and tv show that is "good" has had some kind of commentary or exploration that you speak of?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kon93 View Post
    Your funny.so every sci-fi and fantasy movie and tv show that is "good" has had some kind of commentary or exploration that you speak of?
    Good or bad, it’s a cornerstone of science fiction.

Star Trek, Frankenstein, Blade Runner, 2001, 1984, Brave New World, The Left Hand of Darkness, Childhood’s End, Cat’s Cradle, X-Men, The Matrix, Ender’s Game, Gravity’s Rainbow, The Road, Cloud Atlas, Avatar, Dhalgren, Transmetropolitan, Westworld etc. — I could go on forever.

All of these touch on social/political issues like class disparity, gender roles, oppressive governments, religious/partisan extremism, racism, war, climate change, conservation and blah blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    Good or bad, it’s a cornerstone of science fiction.

Star Trek, Frankenstein, Blade Runner, 2001, 1984, Brave New World, The Left Hand of Darkness, Childhood’s End, Cat’s Cradle, X-Men, The Matrix, Ender’s Game, Gravity’s Rainbow, The Road, Cloud Atlas, Avatar, Dhalgren, Transmetropolitan, Westworld etc. — I could go on forever.

All of these touch on social/political issues like class disparity, gender roles, oppressive governments, religious/partisan extremism, racism, war, climate change, conservation and blah blah blah
    The difference is that none of these are explicit in the issues they represent. The allegories and metaphors are broad enough that anybody can imagine whatever they want as a stand-in for what they feel it would be. Or not at all if they just want to enjoy it as pure escapism.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!