Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Songs that sound like OTHER songs?

Damn! I wish I was your lover - sounds like the Spinners rubberband man (Dammmnn/Maannn!)

My sweet lord/He's so fine

That Chili Peppers song that sounds like "the sun doesn't shine anymore"

and of course, Papa can you hear me/Do you wanna build a snowman?

Intro of Heart of Glass and INXS Burn for you

Others?

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

The central guitar riffs powering both 'Rock'n Me' by the Steve Miller Band and 'All Right Now' by Free are VERY similar to each other.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

There's a Green Day song that sounds like it's borrowing the riff from Chicago's "25 or 6 to 4", but I can't recall the name.

Offspring's "Why Don't You Get a Job" has a tune almost identical to the Beatles' "Obladi, Oblada."

Default M. Friedman 1988 vs Viktorija 1990

links to my books:
    "TWISTED HOLIDAY HORROR TALES"
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"
    @ Amazon: Spec. BLUE Version Paperback
    @ IndyPlanet: Collected Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Nine Crocodile View Post
    There's a Green Day song that sounds like it's borrowing the riff from Chicago's "25 or 6 to 4", but I can't recall the name.
    "Brain Stew"?

Pearl Jam "Given To Fly" and Led Zeplin's Going To California
    Bush "Glycerine", Green Day "When I Come Around" and All American Rejects "Swing Swing" all feature the same easily recognizable chord progression.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Every time I hear Ed Sheeran's "Shape of You", all I hear is TLC's "No Scrubs".

Oh and That "Ooh I'm a rebel just for kicks now" song - which is apparently "Feel it Still" by Portugal, The Man - just sounds like "Please Mr Postman" to me.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post
    My sweet lord/He's so fine
    And, as most people know, The Chiffons took George Harrison to court for plagiarism since "He's So Fine" came out first.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Celine Dion's "All By Myself" has A LOT of instrumental similarities (like the same tune) to this classical piece of music I hear on Classic FM a lot (but always miss what it's called). Also John Williams' scores can sometimes have a lot in common with Holst' "the Planets".
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Celine Dion's "All By Myself" has A LOT of instrumental similarities (like the same tune) to this classical piece of music I hear on Classic FM a lot (but always miss what it's called). Also John Williams' scores can sometimes have a lot in common with Holst' "the Planets".

Because IT IS Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto #2.

Williams music is greatly influenced by classical composers like Holst and Debussy.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Because IT IS Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto #2.
    Ahhhhhh! thank-you for identifying it. Can I check, do you mean they openly admit it is Rachmaninoff's? Or that is is so clearly that piece there's no point pretending otherwise?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Williams music is greatly influenced by classical composers like Holst and Debussy.
    Influenced is a far gentler word than I would use He's amazing, don't get me wrong, the greatest living film composer with so many truly genius level scores... but "influenced" is very kind.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Ahhhhhh! thank-you for identifying it. Can I check, do you mean they openly admit it is Rachmaninoff's? Or that is is so clearly that piece there's no point pretending otherwise?

Influenced is a far gentler word than I would use He's amazing, don't get me wrong, the greatest living film composer with so many truly genius level scores... but "influenced" is very kind.
    Don't know if it is admitted, but it is obvious.

WhenI say influence, I think Williams purposely does pastiches of classical pieces. Debussy's Le Mer for Jaws, Holst for Vader's March, etc. The feel is the same, but not the tune.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

The infamous comparison is Taurus versus Stairway to Heaven, by Spirit and Led Zepplin respectively.

Also from what I understand, copyright term is 50 years from the author's death, or 75 years from transaction for when an author is out of the picture (due to sale of the rights etc.). Rachmaninoff died in 1943, so any song with his stuff in it past 1993 should be good.

Barry Manilow "ripped off" Chopin once or twice on purpose.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.