Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Basically there are a lot of messed up societies, for a lot of messed up reasons.

It's hard to judge some of them against others.
    I would tend to agree. A lot of it also comes down to whose perspective we experience the setting through.

Handmaid's Tale and Game of Thrones aren't supernaturally terrible as both are examples of systems that exist/have existed in the real world. But they both have evocative and sympathetic protagonists that bring home the terror of those settings.

Something like the Eldar was just an ultra-depraved sex-murder cult masquerading as a society that birthed a chaos god. I feel like that's a step up.

Attack on Titan is pretty screwed up.
    "What I sought, I could not obtain."

"This is a meaningless battle. We are two madmen engaging in senseless folley."

"I will kill, I will let live..."

--Genuine Fake Priest Kotomine Kirei

Has anyone mentioned Gotham City yet?
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Do things like the Flood count as a "society"?
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    I mean they're basically the Borg, but made of meat.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Elrics Society from Storm ringer was so effed up that he, their king killed them all in the end. They were the people the Eldar rip off. ( Warhammer/40k heavily inspired by it. Including Chais symbol of the many arrows.)

The Eldar did make a Chaos Fod though in their depeavity and the now Dark Eldar keep the tradition going, only now torturing/bad things to others to distract Slannesh from nomming their souls.

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post

I would think not. Given they are a gestalt parasitic swarm thing. ( Gravenind so they have intelligence. Just no real culture or anything other than infest. Why not on my list.)

Incredible Member

The Purge. I never seen the movies but idea that every year the Government makes crime legal for a few days is just crazy.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDiggle View Post
    The Purge. I never seen the movies but idea that every year the Government makes crime legal for a few days is just crazy.
    naw. it's just one day.

Default Most messed up society in fiction

I guess alternatively the Eloi, thy are pretty much human cattle, they just don't know it.

Moderator: I've edited out your commentary about the real world. In the future keep such off topic opinions off your posts on the Rumbles Board.
    Last edited by The Watcher; 10-10-2019 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Edited Out Off Topic Commentary On Real World

Mighty Member

Most societies in Warhammer 40K, the Imperium is already terrible and not even remotely the worst society of the setting.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    Most societies in Warhammer 40K, the Imperium is already terrible and not even remotely the worst society of the setting.
    but when you take into account how shitty life is for normal humans, what with the constant threats of being kidnapped and (blanked) by dark eldar, being murder-killed by orcs, eaten by the tyrannids and possessed by daemon, it's not exactly sunshine and roses. and add to the fact that most of the people in charge of the imperium either don't care about regular humans or are likely to mass murder a lot of them over bare superstition, paranoia, and religious zealotry.

they aren't worst but it's still a fucked up system when it comes to how the imperium treats its own citizens.

Let's confine ourselves to the topic of this thread, which is fictional societies. Guicho, the off topic content of your post above has been deleted. Please heed the instructions left on that post.
    The CBR Community Standards & Rules - Your Guide to Being a Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    I mean that sounds great.
    In fact, sounds remarkably like...
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Thread closed for temp review.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.