Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default How many Interracial Relationships Black Men and White Women is it in DC?

In one of the fan arts I´ve posted, people have been talking about how there´s few black guys and white girls romance, and how it always (or almost always) it ends bad for any reasons, and I´m wondering: how many black guys and white women relationship there is it in DC? There is an iconic one, as Marvel has like Jessica Jones with Luke Cage or Carol Danvers with James Rhodes?

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

I guess that not that many. From the top of my head we had Power Girl and Mr Terrific at the start of the New 52, an "almost happened" between Wallace and Raven, the JL cartoon had Green LAntern (John Stewart) and HawkWoman and, if we count WildStorm, there's Jackson King and Cristine Trelane.

Maybe there are a few more, but I don't recall right now.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Bronze Tiger and Gypsy

Why does it matter?
    Please Remain Calm

BANNED

The closest one to being "iconic" is Green Lantern and Hawkgirl, but that's from the JL cartoon and the comics won't let that happen

There aren't any iconic ones in the actual comic books.

Incredible Member

If Ric Grayson continues for another year or so you could prob add Ric and Bea into that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcrusade25 View Post
    If Ric Grayson continues for another year or so you could prob add Ric and Bea into that.
    o__O
    Did they turn Dick Grayson into a black guy!? I don't keep up with the character, but I know his fans have been complaining a lot about what DC has done with him lately.

Astonishing Member

A recent Rucka re-read at least reminded me of Mister Terrific and Sasha Bordeaux. If he goes near either of those characters you could probably expect to see that revisited, but they don't appear to be an item anymore. (If they even remember working together in this continuity).

Steel and Lana Lang I presume are still an item. Luke Fox recently dated Batgirl, but it was brief and didn't get serious. He was also dating a Russian girl I can't recall the name of. Duke Thomas, Signal, is ... still dating Izzy Izquierdo (a Latina girl) in his stories but has this Gotham Girl thing going on in the King Batman books, maybe? And it's way toxic and probably not a great example since it's like 16 years ago and super-villains, but Aqualad's parents are Black Manta and Mera's sister from Xebel, Siren.

Killer Croc was recently pretty serious in a relationship with June Moone, the Enchantress. Diggle and Lyla are pretty great on Arrow.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

BANNED

Why it doesn´t?

Trevor Barnes and Diana, though it only lasted for a short while until his heroic sacrifice.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by TheManhunterfromMars View Post
    Why it doesn´t?
    Not that it doesn't, but you seem very focused on interracial relationships more than anything else. And now I'm curious why you are focusing on black men and white women in particular. It's kinda specific. Your fan art threads were about black men with white and asian women and now this. I am genuinely curious to know why you seem fixated on this.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Not that it doesn't, but you seem very focused on interracial relationships more than anything else. And now I'm curious why you are focusing on black men and white women in particular. It's kinda specific. Your fan art threads were about black men with white and asian women and now this. I am genuinely curious to know why you seem fixated on this.
    Maybe, like myself, he/she has a black father and white mother, or maybe is a black guy who fancies a white lady, and wants to know if there are examples of representation.

The situation is sort of taboo, specially in American Media. The very fact that it's so rare is indicative of that.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Well, King teased a Duke Thomas/Gotham-Girl pairing early on, but it went nowhere in his run and, quite frankly, Gotham-Girl has devolved in such an atrocious character that I don't want Duke anywhere close to her (Duke or any other character, really. That poor girl's best fate is death followed by Limbo, in that order).

Now, Duke is with a Latina (Isabella Ortiz, if I remember her name right) so it's definitively interracial and Black Guy/Latina Gal, but I don't know if it counts here.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    o__O
    Did they turn Dick Grayson into a black guy!? I don't keep up with the character, but I know his fans have been complaining a lot about what DC has done with him lately.
    They gave him a black girlfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    And it's way toxic and probably not a great example since it's like 16 years ago and super-villains, but Aqualad's parents are Black Manta and Mera's sister from Xebel, Siren.
    If I'm not mistaken, Manta had his son with a Black Xebelian, now.