Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Garbledarber View Post
    She absolutely is. She’s never drawn as Romani, and that was a retcon later on.
    Some Romani are white look. But Wanda is indeed Romani and has been for decades now. Comics don't really ever capture that most Romani have darker features. They just aren't good with accuracy.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

In Venom: Dark Origins, Ann Weying was portrayed as black. Sadly, that was not a good story and it flew in the face of nearly all Venom continuity up until then, including Ann's appearance. Also, I don't know if it's been mentioned already, but did Peter Parker ever date Glory Grant?
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Quote Originally Posted by The Man With The Stick View Post
    As far as I know they still are, they moved in together not long ago.
    That must be the reason why we haven't seen anything involving her.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Too bad this never became a thing...

...or maybe it did, but we won't hear about it until someone pens a tell-all book with a title like, "The Invisible Men: Sue Richards' Past Secret Lovers Exposed!"

SueTchalla.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Too bad this never became a thing...

...or maybe it did, but we won't hear about it until someone pens a tell-all book with a title like, "The Invisible Men: Sue Richards' Past Secret Lovers Exposed!"

SueTchalla.jpg
    They're better off ignoring this. It does nothing for either character.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    They're better off ignoring this. It does nothing for either character.
    On the contrary, I think it's an interesting snippet into their character history. What life doesn't have those little moments when some otherwise unexpressed version of yourself comes to the fore and shines, however briefly?

BANNED

It would have been interesting if American Dream had gotten together with Commander A in the Captain America Corps series but perhaps she was significantly younger/underage.

On the contrary, I think it's an interesting snippet into their character history. What life doesn't have those little moments when some otherwise unexpressed version of yourself comes to the fore and shines, however briefly?
    Guess it's in the eye of the beholder. For me, I just see another instance where superhero writers can't fathom a man and a woman interacting without something going on.

Guess it's in the eye of the beholder. For me, I just see another instance where superhero writers can't fathom a man and a woman interacting without something going on.
    I see your point. If we're talking about just any average man and woman, I would agree. But we're talking about two tremendously attractive, intelligent, outgoing phenoms who happen to find themselves practically skinny-dipping in a paradisiacal stream. I think as writers you have to at least ask the question, "Would something happen?" I think the audience for the most part would be asking the same question in that situation.

But we're also talking about T'Challa, right? The man who makes it his business to know the vulnerabilities and tipping points of friends and foes alike. I wouldn't put it past him to at least test the waters so to speak with Sue simply to confirm her loyalties and true nature.

And then there's the fact that Sue tactfully name-dropped Namor. I'm betting on a subconscious level T'Challa saw that as Sue dangling a challenge. And I'm betting that wasn't an entirely innocent design on Sue's part. Whenever you're conversing with a person and they mention your peer or rival, just know that you're being comparatively assessed for access and privileges. It's never just an idle thought experiment. Sue was definitely sizing up T'Challa. It all goes back to trust.

Sometimes these things appear like mundane, unimaginative throw away moments. But these moments can also unveil insight and nuances that the audience would otherwise be denied without them. But you're right: how the audience perceives the unveiling is truly eye of beholder.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 10-12-2019 at 10:44 AM.

The way she's drawn says otherwise.
    Yes, that’s what characters of color are plagued with in an industry that’s overwhelmingly white: whitewashing.

Quote Originally Posted by Garbledarber View Post
    She absolutely is. She’s never drawn as Romani, and that was a retcon later on.
    She absolutely is not. Saladin Ahmed specifically had his colorist on Quicksilver: No Surrender draw Wanda and Pietro as brown because they are Romani. I mean get mad at it, but it doesn’t make it any less true. A simple history lesson would’ve enough but I’ll just leave this here:

Astonishing Member

There's no doubt that Sue has cheated on Reed with several different men.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Wanda Maximoff isn’t white.
    So does that mean Dick Grayson is biracial or just white passing like the Maximoff's sometimes are?
    Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    There's no doubt that Sue has cheated on Reed with several different men.
    Uh...I think there is actually plenty of doubt on that front.

Sue's had subtext with other men but she's never actually cheated on Reed as far as I can remember. At least willingly.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    No, this is explicitly a fetish. He is zeroing in on a very specific thing, and not even as him being a part of it. It's unquestionably a fetish.

Preference in what? He's not taking any part in the couples.
    No. It is a fetish and you’re totally correct. Not only was the idea of a specific type of interracial couple explicitly stated. Others kinds were then suggested, but they were shot down in furtherance of the most stereotypical of all the interracial ideas perpetuated in the media. OP directly references the dark skin as the stereotypical masculine form (the brute) while he double down on the idea of femininity in the white female form. There were plenty of fetishized signals for you to pickup on. Please don’t back down because others wish to ignore those glaring implications as you’ve noticed them. They are not happenstance.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So does that mean Dick Grayson is biracial or just white passing like the Maximoff's sometimes are?
    White-passing.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Dick is partially of descent, like myself. He wasn't raised Romani under Romanipen, with Romanipe beliefs and practices. So he's distant.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 10-13-2019 at 12:18 PM.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.