Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Silver Sable and a French black guy...I think his name is Jacques.
    Oh, I remember that one...it didn't end well for the black guy.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Some Romani are white look. But Wanda is indeed Romani and has been for decades now. Comics don't really ever capture that most Romani have darker features. They just aren't good with accuracy.
    nitpicking on S.W.'s technical ethnicity doesn't make her any less white under American/Western standards (with all said privileges, implied, non-implied, non-asked-for, etc.). circa 1900 these "arguments" might have vague validity. Now? Hell no. same with Irish, Italians, Poles, Kardashians, etc.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    nitpicking on S.W.'s technical ethnicity doesn't make her any less white under American/Western standards (with all said privileges, implied, non-implied, non-asked-for, etc.). circa 1900 these "arguments" might have vague validity. Now? Hell no. same with Irish, Italians, Poles, Kardashians, etc.
    I thought Wanda and Pietro were adopted by the gypsies with the Maximoffs. Magneto and Magda were Eastern European, Polish I believe, so maybe some Romani blood is there but not born into it .

On mixed race couples, one, two that sticks in my noggin is James Rhodes and Tony's short-lived girlfriend, Rae LaCosta which started during Len Kamanski's run on IRON MAN. Which started when Stark was dead, but cryonic suspension. The relationship went on into the first WAR MACHINE series in 1990s. I'm also sure before his death in CIVIL WAR II , hole Marvel seems to only want to keep digging with the She-Hulk. That Colonel Rhodes was seeing Carol Danvers, a.k.a. Captain Marvel at the time.

Sam Wilson, right before taking on the Captain America moniker, was in a relationship with Arnim Zola's daughter, Jet Black. But it ended when Jet was accused by Sharon Carter ,and her brother Leopold of secretly helping Arnim with her father's schemes. With the doubt of her innocence evident from Sam and the rest, Jet fled with Arnim.
    Last edited by The One and Only; 10-13-2019 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    It's not really like that. Most Romani are still darker skin. And don't consider themselves white. My family did not. And aren't treated white either. So it's just getting caught up on false pop culture portrayals, if you still consider Romani white.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by The One and Only View Post
    I thought Wanda and Pietro were adopted by the gypsies with the Maximoffs. Magneto and Magda were Eastern European, Polish I believe, so maybe some Romani blood is there but not born into it .

On mixed race couples, one, two that sticks in my noggin is James Rhodes and Tony's short-lived girlfriend, Rae LaCosta which started during Len Kamanski's run on IRON MAN. Which started when Stark was dead, but cryonic suspension. The relationship went on into the first WAR MACHINE series in 1990s. I'm also sure before his death in CIVIL WAR II , hole Marvel seems to only want to keep digging with the She-Hulk. That Colonel Rhodes was seeing Carol Danvers, a.k.a. Captain Marvel at the time.

Sam Wilson, right before taking on the Captain America moniker, was in a relationship with Arnim Zola's daughter, Jet Black. But it ended when Jet was accused by Sharon Carter ,and her brother Leopold of secretly helping Arnim with her father's schemes. With the doubt of her innocence evident from Sam and the rest, Jet fled with Arnim.
    No they weren't just adopted, but born as. Magda herself is Sinti. Their new mother is Roma. Their family are the Maximoffs, and they raised them. They were raised Romani with Romanipen. They are Romani.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Sunspot and.....any chick hes been interested in....lol
    Seriously theres not even a brunette thats caught his eye
    Well, the "reincarnation" of his Julianna is a brunette. I guess that's why he walked away so easily.

This sort of thing is not very confusing though.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Eh not so taboo in the Marvel U. I think theres more interracial relationships than 'monoracial' ones
    Eh, it depends. Marvel U has definitely been a bit more progressive than real life for certain, but there's been articles on how they couldn't move things forward with characters like Cloak and Dagger. Having the will they/won't they for decades, bendis finally puts them together, just for them to break up the very next solo they get. Though the monoracial/interracial ratio currently is about the same, and that's mostly because there's barely any of them in relationships to begin with lol.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Eh, it depends. Marvel U has definitely been a bit more progressive than real life for certain, but there's been articles on how they couldn't move things forward with characters like Cloak and Dagger. Having the will they/won't they for decades, bendis finally puts them together, just for them to break up the very next solo they get. Though the monoracial/interracial ratio currently is about the same, and that's mostly because there's barely any of them in relationships to begin with lol.
    Is there finally an African American equivalent of Reed and Sue Richards? I don't mean just a casually dating superhero power couple, but a married couple where the spouses are African American? For all of the talk of mixed couples being "progressive", one can argue that just having a positive African American married couple that doesn't end up divorced by their 4th appearance would be truly progressive. Sad to say something like that in 2019, but nevertheless here we are and it's still very true.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Is there finally an African American equivalent of Reed and Sue Richards? I don't mean just a casually dating superhero power couple, but a married couple where the spouses are African American? For all of the talk of mixed couples being "progressive", one can argue that just having a positive African American married couple that doesn't end up divorced by their 4th appearance would be truly progressive. Sad to say something like that in 2019, but nevertheless here we are and it's still very true.

Not to my knowledge, but at the same time, the same can be stated for interracial couples, and that's the entire point. As I mentioned before, their ratio is about the same, it's just that there isn't much relationships to begin with featuring black males. Of course if you have a focus on monoracial relationships, then having that representation would be considered progressive. But mixed couples actually being shown as married and equivalent of Reed and Sue would also be considered as progressive. Both sides are severely lacking

I think the most iconic and long-lived has been Jessica Jones and Luke Cage.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    We're in an odd time. Marvel/DC doesn't want to too many of their super characters married period whether black, white, or whoever.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen....that was a thing right?
    juuuuust to hit up on this a bit, cause I find that maaany ppl have never read Sitting in a Tree arc (terrible arc btw) and just saw all those miss-leading covers of the two kissing: miles and gwen were never a couple or even a thing in the comics. Entire comic was them running around to try and find Miles' dad and then ending up in alt universes all the while some reason thinking about if they wanted to start dating. The romance is sorted out in the last part of the arc with the two only having one smaaaall kiss riiiight before the next panel of em deciding to stay as friends... story ends there.

those various covers of em kissing/valentines/so on were just the usual comic cover marketing gimmick so bendis could push this dumb pairing literally no one wanted to happen.

Many reasons against it such as lack of chemistry, incredibly forced and out-of-nowhere with no build up at all, the age issue of Miles being just a high school kid (15-16) while Gwen was a 20-something college adult... I mean, there is literally a panel of her walking into a bar while miles waits outside, like come on -_- many people had an issue with the age gap and imagine if this was a college guy trying to date a high school girl... creepy that this pairing was even considered by marvel :/

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    There's some random universe where they're married, but the main version didn't really happen outside of that one story arc, and I think it was only hinting they may get together? I dunno... That relationship from another universe was constantly reminded as a possible future to Spider-Gwen's own Earth at the end of the run of her second volume, but I think that was it.
    ya, during that arc, Bendis actually created a future universe [Earth 8] where the two were married and had kids, which he then made the "canon/default future" of the two cause of course he did (Bendis after all) since he wanted them to be a thing -_-

but ya, eventually that future being the "default" future or w.e was actually retconned in Spider-Gwen's comic a bit later cause it was stupid and Marvel knew it. Believe it was Spider-Gwen volume 2, chapter 30-something to something, was short arc.

To basically tl;dr that one: the end of the story with the Watchers and 617 Gwen is that Earth 8 is just another alt universe now, it may have been the "default" at the beginning of the story but it no longer is (thank god).

The Watcher's were freaking out over the sudden changes of Gwen not killing Matt Murdock and wanted things to go back to normal so that the Earth 8 future remains, but 617 Gwen and the "Council of Spider-Women" caused changes to happen that, as the comic put it, "dramatically shifted the continuity of all existence". That story ends with 617 Gwen telling the watchers to not fear change.

As far as I can understand (from this terribly confusing and bad story arc btw) is that for Earth 8 to remain as the "default" future of Earth 65, Gwen was supposed to kill Matt Murdock. But she didn't, which basically means that Earth 8 is just another alt future as things have diverged/changed. And we can basically find an alt universe/future of literally anything so this one goes into the shelf where it belongs.

__________________________________________________ ______

In the end, Earth 8 has not been referenced or used at all since those Spider-Gwen chapters and a romance has never been brought back up between the two. Miles now has his own love interest and Gwen's got... well, no one really since she's never shown to be in a relationship (furthest we got is her going on a few dates with Norman of her earth).

but ya, bit of a rant with this cause I do see this being brought up by people especially cause of the spider-verse movie. Honestly Gwen and Miles just don't work as a couple and I hate how Marvel keeps having miles be just a copy of peter :/ copy his powers, villains, story beats, stories, personality.... and now trying for love interest as well... like come on, get creative pls. At least the comic has Miles with Barbara even if comic Miles is very much still just a black spider-man.
    Last edited by voidox; 10-14-2019 at 06:44 PM.

well now I feel lied to

Also @JudicatorPrime

nothing good would come from BP and the Invisible Woman. Let Namor go for that
    The J-man

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Also @JudicatorPrime

nothing good would come from BP and the Invisible Woman. Let Namor go for that
    Speaking strictly as a person that had a very active dating life in my teens, 20s and early 30s, yes... yes quite a bit of good fun could have been had between T'Challa and Sue. It didn't need to be a permanent thing. Better if it wasn't. I'm betting knowing that fact would have driven Namor over the edge.