Page 12 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    "Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Great issue. Only mixed feelings was the retelling of the first Moira encounter in Life 10: It's tough only from the standpoint of "I paid $6 for this issue and several pages are reprinted verbatim," but looking at the two series as a whole, it's a well-executed call-back that helps bookends the series. So, do I regret spending the money? Not at all. I look forward to many upcoming re-reads of the series--one of which will be happening quite soon--and being on this weekly journey has been a real thrill.

I can't recall the last time I was so excited to get a comic first thing on a Wednesday. Maybe it was during the Morrison/Casey/Milligan years?

The Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    What future? Every issue of Powers of 10 is set in the present or in the past.
    Moira’s lives then. You know what I meant.

The Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Xavier has proved Cyclops right by founding Utopia 2.0. Why would Cyclops be angry at that?
    I didnt say he had to be angry, but he doesn’t have to act like his lap dog either.

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    Yes she does. Or at least everyone assumes she does, herself and Librarian included. How they would know tho is???
    that is because of her actions, if she lives same life as she did before, nothing will change

The issue of the metahumans and the Librarian is so ... obvious that I almost got angry that I didn't think about it before.

In the long term, mutants are limited by nature. For every omega that is born, there are a hundred useless mutants. But with biotechnology and genetic engineering you can do all Spider-man, Captain Marvels, Hulks ... that you want.
    Without genetic engineering mutants are limited by several factors.

Not to mention that the birth of mutants or omega in a natural state is extremely dangerous whereas those that are genetically engineered may have limiters to control them.
    Last edited by Knives; 10-09-2019 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Mutie View Post
    Great issue. Only mixed feelings was the retelling of the first Moira encounter in Life 10: It's tough only from the standpoint of "I paid $6 for this issue and several pages are reprinted verbatim," but looking at the two series as a whole, it's a well-executed call-back that helps bookends the series. So, do I regret spending the money? Not at all. I look forward to many upcoming re-reads of the series--one of which will be happening quite soon--and being on this weekly journey has been a real thrill.
    I think we still get the same number of new pages (not counting the journal pages) that you would have gotten otherwise.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

That was explained in the very issue they came back.
    Can somebody provide me this explanation? Can't seem to find it.

I'm giving the entire event an 8/10...Would have been a 9 if Hickman hadn't misplaced Moria's Scots accent.

Mighty Member

Wasn't life 9 proof that Mutants can't out designer baby Humanity?

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    Wasn't life 9 proof that Mutants can't out designer baby Humanity?
    One could argue that they were winning the designer baby arms race until Sinister betrayed them. Moira writes in her journal that the 3rd generation was very effective against the machines, and seemed like it would turn the tide of the war, but then the 4th generation committed mass suicide them and lead to the fall of Mars.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I felt that one entry in her journal strongly alluded to Onslaught too. Wonder if it'll be revisited or it was just used to smooth things over in including this retcon into the established continuity.
    I feel like it will be revisited. Hox/PoX sets so many things in motion that will re-contextualize/re-purpose 90s storylines. There's no way this doesn't get addressed down the line.

Most of Xavier's morally grey actions over the years can now be attributed to Moira 'breaking' him.
    That is a wonderful point. There's some real ambiguity now as to whether Xavier's shadiest choices were ever truly his, even as readers wonder if Xavier is now shadier than ever. So on the other side of this longform story, there's the possibility of a more idealized 90s take on Xavier emerging again.

The issue of the metahumans and the Librarian is so ... obvious that I almost got angry that I didn't think about it before.

In the long term, mutants are limited by nature. For every omega that is born, there are a hundred useless mutants. But with biotechnology and genetic engineering you can do all Spider-man, Captain Marvels, Hulks ... that you want.
    Yeah I was talking about this in the first pages. Moira is trying to make Homo Navissima (maybe Chimeras were another try of hers).

Quote Originally Posted by Viteh View Post
    One could argue that they were winning the designer baby arms race until Sinister betrayed them. Moira writes in her journal that the 3rd generation was very effective against the machines, and seemed like it would turn the tide of the war, but then the 4th generation committed mass suicide them and lead to the fall of Mars.
    Plus they didn't have Resurrection. That's a big plus.

Not gonna lie, this issue has solidified my dislike for the retcon of making Moira a mutant. She went from possibly one of the greatest human allies of the X-Men to a completely cynical manipulator to the degree that she’s basically turned Xavier from an allegory for Martin Luther King Jr. to just another mutant supremacist who manipulates everyone to their own ends. Ironically, he now has even more in common with the Maker. Just as with how the X-Men have been presented in these minis, Moira’s heart has been taken from the character and replaced with just cold cynicism. At this point, she might as well not even be Moira because she’s essentially just a villain who continuously goes down the wrong path of extremism and is dragging mutantkind down with her.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I feel like it will be revisited. Hox/PoX sets so many things in motion that will re-contextualize/re-purpose 90s storylines. There's no way this doesn't get addressed down the line.

That is a wonderful point. There's some real ambiguity now as to whether Xavier's shadiest choices were ever truly his, even as readers wonder if Xavier is now shadier than ever. So on the other side of this longform story, there's the possibility of a more idealized 90s take on Xavier emerging again.
    Xavier is broken, Magneto too. We aren't seeing the same characters.

Moira plan is a desesperate one