Page 43 of 52 FirstFirst ... 33394041424344454647 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Chessboxer View Post
    If I understood Hickman's infographic correctly, I'm not sure it would be advisable since transplating a mind/backup into a different body/husk could prove to be fatal.
    It says there has been no experimentation on that so they dont know what the results would be. Moira shouldnt and based on what she knows, with a Cerebro backup of Destiny out there, there is always the possibility that she could be brought back, unless she simply doesnt care as long as she doesnt have her powers,but then again, Destiny could be brought back with her granddaughter, Blindfold's body.

Fantastic Member

One thing I don’t quite get - Moira is concerned about getting killed and having everything “reset”. What happens if she just dies of old age? Aren’t they inevitably going to have this problem anyway?
    "Mutationem Aeternum"
    Krakoan and Proud

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jness View Post
    One thing I don’t quite get - Moira is concerned about getting killed and having everything “reset”. What happens if she just dies of old age? Aren’t they inevitably going to have this problem anyway?
    Thats why they hired Apocalypse so he could give her his Seed and make her immortal again.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I think we established that long ago lol.
    I respectfully think you’re letting your dissastisfaction with this actually being the 616 (instead of what you were hoping) affect your enjoyment of the book. Now you’ve moved from “this isn’t the 616, they’ll reveal that the next life is” to “well this will all just get undone”. That’s just a restatement of your original position, only with the time of the “reset” moved.
    Last edited by Jness; 10-11-2019 at 03:14 PM.
    "Mutationem Aeternum"
    Krakoan and Proud

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jness View Post
    I respectfully think you’re letting your dissastisfaction with this actually being the 616 (instead of what you were hoping) affect your enjoyment of the book. Now you’ve moved from “this isn’t the 616, they’ll reveal that the next life is” to “well this will all just get undone”. That’s just a restatement of your original position, only with the time of the “reset” moved.
    Oh I am still in denial about that. Although, I have always allowed the possibility that the charade would last beyond the mini.

The alternative is my favorite characters are all dead again.

Spectacular Member

I felt like this was more of an epilogue issue to the actual last issue of the event: Hox 6.

Moira is up to something, I can't shake the feeling she is not showing all of her cards and whatever it is she is holding back is going to be a big problem for the mutants. I think Destiny somehow sensed it and now Moira is super afraid of all precogs. Sure she mentions that reality could reset if she gets killed, but there are very powerful psy
    's that could figure it out as well, yet she is not afraid of them. Forge and Cypher and everyone who keeps tabs on krakoa could all figure her hideout out sooner or later, yet she is only worried about the precogs. She is hiding something.

And if the x-men are worried about her, they should de-age her to a pre-puberty age, when her powers haven't kicked in yet and keep her that age. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev View Post
    I felt like this was more of an epilogue issue to the actual last issue of the event: Hox 6.

Moira is up to something, I can't shake the feeling she is not showing all of her cards and whatever it is she is holding back is going to be a big problem for the mutants. I think Destiny somehow sensed it and now Moira is super afraid of all precogs. Sure she mentions that reality could reset if she gets killed, but there are very powerful psy
    's that could figure it out as well, yet she is not afraid of them. Forge and Cypher and everyone who keeps tabs on krakoa could all figure her hideout out sooner or later, yet she is only worried about the precogs. She is hiding something.

And if the x-men are worried about her, they should de-age her to a pre-puberty age, when her powers haven't kicked in yet and keep her that age. Problem solved.
    The X-men dont know about her. Besides it would be simpler to depower her and hide her in stasis somewhere indefinitely

Moira is hiding things, but I don't think they're anything villainous.

BANNED

Moira, Charles and Magneto are all hiding things. I believe she's sitting the most secrets. I wouldn't call her villainous in the sense that she isnt being completely truthful with the men around her. She has reason not to be. I think the real drama will come in when it all comes out that Krakoa is the total lie. The new trinity know that things are destined to fail. I want to believe that Charles is doing what he feels is for the best, but the road to hell in all. I'm still not quite sure how I feel about Ororo's inclusion on the council. The whole "she's my daughter and she'll carry my Hope's and dreams" was kinda sketchy to me. We already know he misled her about her heritage when he first recruited her. And here he is lying to her again. Theirs is truly a complicated dynamic and I'm interested to see them have a discussion about his true intentions with her and mutants like her.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Moira is hiding things, but I don't think they're anything villainous.
    Yupp.
    She thinks she's being protective by keeping herself and the whole truth secret from the rest of the Mutant Society and by keeping precogs away (I think she's had "precognophobia" since Destiny had her fried)...but as we all know...what's kept in the dark must eventually see the light.
    The villainy is in keeping the ultimate future a secret.
    I cannot wait for Destiny to show up unexpectedly and learn her a thing or three.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    She thinks she's being protective
    The villainy is in keeping the ultimate future a secret.
    Is it tho? How many times have we heard Knowing too much about your future is a bad thing?
    GrindrStone(D)

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Nope. The difference is Byrne decided 2 issues was enough, Hickman has decided to drag it out. And despite the number of words you want to use, you are not saying anything I am not saying. Yes, Hickman is dong a lot more with it, on top of it, around it, through it, etc, but at the end of the day it is a story that has been done before most famously by the X-Men. No matter how brilliant his spin on it is, not matter how marvelous the journey he takes us on, it begins and ends in the same place.

I don't really care what lens other people see it through, I am just pointing out the there is a lot of what Hickman is doing that is borrowing old stories and little that is all the innovative with regards to the franchise. Hickman does what Hickman does, and he does Hickman things, but those things will carry on with him to the next thing, and all that will be left are the X-Men things he started with.
    I'd like to thank @Cranger and @JKtheMac for a robust debate which made me swing one side, then the other. There are clearly merits in each side's argument and my overall conclusion is that, yes, the Krakoa State and the key players' positions established in HOXPOX are 100% going to be the new status quo for a few good years of stories over multiple waves of X-books, so in that sense Hickman has indeed taken the come-back-1000-years-to-change-everything trope into brave new territory. (My fear now is, if he meant what he said literally, he will put the toys back in the box at the end of his run and undo all this nation-building --with a Life XI reboot?-- to plonk our merry mutants back into the Westchester school and a world that hates and fears them.)

Having said that, the fundamental plot beats to show how the House of X was built are practically identical to DOFP.

Exhibit A: Mutants are on the verge of extinction by the Machines and Kate is sent by psychic means back into her own younger body on a mission to save the past X-Men from the fate which befell hers. Kate successfully prevented Destiny from killing the Senator, the pivotal act that set the course for DOFP. The X-Men move forward from there, and begin acting with the knowledge that a future dominated by the Machines must be fought against at all costs.

Exhibit B: Mutants are on the verge of extinction by Post-Humans (who are powered and boosted by increasingly advanced Machines in a symbiotic loop) and Moira's entire consciousness is sent by psychic (as opposed to technological) means back into her own younger body on a mission to save the past X-Men from the fate which befell hers. Moira, through Charles, Scott et al, appears to have successfully prevented MotherMold from bringing Nimrod online, the pivotal act that set the course for X^3. The X-Men move forward from there, and begin acting with the knowledge that a future dominated by the Machines and Post-Humans in a self-propagating cycle must be fought against at all costs.

What Hickman has done differently from Byrne is to show how Charles might become manipulated/broken by Moira to act in the most extreme (and, as it happens, PRIDEFUL) manner possible to change a future where Mutants ALWAYS lose, as seen in at least 6 of Moira's lives (Lives IV-IX). They take the Miracleman Option, in a sense. Which is a huge thing because this threatens to change the status quo of core franchise characters who are expected to remain the same for as long as comics are published. So YES definitely colour me intrigued to see where and how far Hickman intends to take this.

(On my part, I would have zero issue if the X-Men are fundamentally and forever changed from being superheroes, to being a morally-ambivalent team which can at times behave like villains when they kill humans to defend their sovereignty and their species. But, at the same time, these New X-Men will emerge from Krakoa to fight side-by-side with the Avengers to save the world from a Skrull invasion.)

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

True.
    But perhaps keeping the knowledge from the other Council members, at least, could engender mistrust and dissention down the line.
    Also consider, keeping it hidden means that they (everyone) won't be fully prepared to deal with it when it starts coming to pass, despite what Xavier and Erik do in the interim.
    It's all part of HiX-Man's ongoing, overarching story...I'd bet...so it may not stay a hidden secret for long.
    That said, it's a thousand years hence so...crossing that bridge when they get to it...might be a sensible decision as they'll have more immediate issues to attend to.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 10-11-2019 at 07:48 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

Great ending to a new beginning for the X-men. The series gave a good glimpse of what lies ahead. The new direction is bold because the X-men now have another form of resource to use to consolidate power. What intrigues me is the fusion of ideas from different ideologies now working together to keep the new status quo. Looking forward to seeing how things play out.

What i like. The new direction of mutants having a culture. Being build in front of us. Krakoan could become what Interlac could have been. A language that exists in many spaces, times, dimensions, and universes. Locale, Krakoa is far enough away so that the X-verse can be a seperate entity, but still on planet.

What worries me. The ressurection thing could become a issue, but it is not a easy out if the 5 lights or other resources are not available. The Krakoan Plant could be something that maybe more thought out. If it cures mental illness what does this mean for David Haller, and other people that suffer from mental illness?Not to mention other effects it has.

I admit that i thought that the X-men would have a serious convo about doing something like that, so i hope we get to hear more individual perspectives about the new status quo from the X-men.

I will ask this question again. Where is Danger, in all of this?

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Nimrod is prevented at the cost of an entire team of X-men's lives. A total loss, a truly grievous price to pay. Before. But the new mutant does not fear death. For this new kind of mutation, stopping the development of Nimrod cost them NOTHING. The X-men have leveled up, and it's a whole new game.
    THIS!!!

10char
    #MagnetoWasRight