Page 42 of 52 FirstFirst ... 32383940414243444546 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    I just, reasonably I'm sure, talk about any expectations and observations I may have. I'm not saying they *will* change up the status quo in a way that they lose their nation, but given the varied nature of never fully knowing what writers may do next, it doesn't hurt to at least briefly consider the possibility.

If you're thinking that I'm unheathily focusing too much on a possible negative by looking towards a less innovative future, then I'm sorry to hear that buddy. Don't now what else to tell you.
    I am not seeing it as unhealthy. I am simply suggesting that it is surely better to focus on the story in front of us than worry about things we have no control over and may never happen. I wasn’t even claiming it to be overtly cynical, just subtly so. The kind of thing that can take the sheen off of the new shiny thing if you let it.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Your perspective and dissatisfaction with PoX doesn’t diminish its importance to the overall story.
    Never said it did sooo...

Extraordinary Member

Nope. You are forcing them together to make them sound similar. They are entirely different. One is a future based on present consequences, the other is a trend that may or may not come to pass based upon a character’s experiences of other lives. One is an analogy of concentration camps and the oppression of a minority, the other is an exploration of different kinds of evolution. One simply involved stopping an event from happening, the other is an uncertain future that is bringing into focus a number of different philosophies from a wide range of players. These are not even remotely similar stories.

Like I said much earlier, I am sure some will only see this story through the lens of past Human Vs Mutant stories, that is inevitable given the history the franchise, but this isn’t one of those. It has the superficial trappings of that kind of story but it is very different.
    Nope. The difference is Byrne decided 2 issues was enough, Hickman has decided to drag it out. And despite the number of words you want to use, you are not saying anything I am not saying. Yes, Hickman is dong a lot more with it, on top of it, around it, through it, etc, but at the end of the day it is a story that has been done before most famously by the X-Men. No matter how brilliant his spin on it is, not matter how marvelous the journey he takes us on, it begins and ends in the same place.

I don't really care what lens other people see it through, I am just pointing out the there is a lot of what Hickman is doing that is borrowing old stories and little that is all the innovative with regards to the franchise. Hickman does what Hickman does, and he does Hickman things, but those things will carry on with him to the next thing, and all that will be left are the X-Men things he started with.

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    I think Moira's life 4 leads to Days of Future Past. This is the one where she goes all in on Xavier's dream of cooperation and coexistence. Even with all their efforts to be heroes and help people the humans still build the Sentinels and kill all of the X-Men.
    Yes, life 4 would probably most closely conform to that future. It was a lesson that Moira would have taken on-board. She certainly focused upon that early on in her cycles.

However, she eventually learns that these are not the things that define the struggle. That the sentinels are not really the problem. They are a mere distraction. The problem is directed evolution provoked in part by the presence of mutants. That’s the puzzle she needs to address. How to reshape the present to stop this from happening.

And even as she struggles with what to do so those around her are acting in new and unpredictable ways that go against her plans. Yet again her very involvement is causing events to warp around her and potentially spiral out of her control. She does not appear to have an easy solution.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Nope. The difference is Byrne decided 2 issues was enough, Hickman has decided to drag it out. And despite the number of words you want to use, you are not saying anything I am not saying. Yes, Hickman is dong a lot more with it, on top of it, around it, through it, etc, but at the end of the day it is a story that has been done before most famously by the X-Men. No matter how brilliant his spin on it is, not matter how marvelous the journey he takes us on, it begins and ends in the same place.

I don't really care what lens other people see it through, I am just pointing out the there is a lot of what Hickman is doing that is borrowing old stories and little that is all the innovative with regards to the franchise. Hickman does what Hickman does, and he does Hickman things, but those things will carry on with him to the next thing, and all that will be left are the X-Men things he started with.
    Well we will have to agree to fundamentally disagree.

Extraordinary Member

Well we will have to agree to fundamentally disagree.
    I think we established that long ago lol.

Yes, life 4 would probably most closely conform to that future. It was a lesson that Moira would have taken on-board. She certainly focused upon that early on in her cycles.

However, she eventually learns that these are not the things that define the struggle. That the sentinels are not really the problem. They are a mere distraction. The problem is directed evolution provoked in part by the presence of mutants. That’s the puzzle she needs to address. How to reshape the present to stop this from happening.

And even as she struggles with what to do so those around her are acting in new and unpredictable ways that go against her plans. Yet again her very involvement is causing events to warp around her and potentially spiral out of her control. She does not appear to have an easy solution.
    I kind of wonder if the reason life 11 ends up being the last is that after Moira is old enough and before her mutant powers set in she just kills herself because she is just too exhausted to try again.

I really do hope that we get to see Moira show up someplace. Maybe on Wolverine's book, she might partner up with him to do missions to investigate or take down targets that she doesn't want anyone else to know about.
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Moira is the one running away from X-Force in issue 1, having stolen Destiny’s DNA from Sinister.

I love the elevation Hickman has given Moira, Mystique, Destiny, and Emma. I know we love our female X-Men, but the female mutants with their own agendas are where I spend all my money.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

I am not seeing it as unhealthy. I am simply suggesting that it is surely better to focus on the story in front of us than worry about things we have no control over and may never happen. I wasn’t even claiming it to be overtly cynical, just subtly so. The kind of thing that can take the sheen off of the new shiny thing if you let it.
    Alright, sure then. Hope you take care then.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Moira is the one running away from X-Force in issue 1, having stolen Destiny’s DNA from Sinister.

I love the elevation Hickman has given Moira, Mystique, Destiny, and Emma. I know we love our female X-Men, but the female mutants with their own agendas are where I spend all my money.
    I know I am the same, I love the female characters in the X-books. It's one of the reasons I have always been drawn to the x-books, I think they have more strong female characters than a lot of the other series out there.
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Preach. Same.
    Its just super remarkable how swiftly he's brought so many unexpected names into prominence and/or "off the shelf" and given a fresh buffing.
    Moira. Destiny. Exodus. Douglas. Krakoa. Goldballs. Proteus. Tempus. Elixir. Hope. I'm just so wow'ed. Some that just blow my mind, some that don't surprise me, and some I get choked up about. Its just wild.

Not sure why that would matter. Cerebro still has Destiny's mind as a backup. They could theoretically transplant her mind onto a new body, that just wont look like her. Stealing Destiny's DNA sample wont simply prevent Destiny from being brought back

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Not sure why that would matter. Cerebro still has Destiny's mind as a backup. They could theoretically transplant her mind onto a new body, that just wont look like her. Stealing Destiny's DNA sample wont simply prevent Destiny from being brought back
    Mystique probably had Sinister tweek Destiny's DNA to make her loyal to only her... which explains why Destiny is always Cagney to Mystique's Lacey
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    If I understood Hickman's infographic correctly, I'm not sure it would be advisable since transplating a mind/backup into a different body/husk could prove to be fatal.

Quote Originally Posted by Chessboxer View Post
    If I understood Hickman's infographic correctly, I'm not sure it would be advisable since transplating a mind/backup into a different body/husk could prove to be fatal.
    That's the way I took it too. Also, considering all the importance they put on genetics, the 'soul/essence' without the corresponding body may not have any powers.