Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Read my post again. I couldn't care less. And bootleg Carnage? Get real. If you saw Carnage coming at you, claws ready to kill, the danger is still very real. All this other talk is just typical fanboying.
    Him being dangerous doesn't make him any less of a bootleg lol.

Also I don't even like Carnage, so I can't be fanboying, I just prefer to keep what's really happening in mind, and what's happening in this comic is Norman thinking he's Cletus with a symbiote that isn't the original, and one of the tie-ins of Absolute Carnage points out that Cletus and the Carnage symbiote bonded in a perfect way, so, again, it's worth pointing that out because not having the original is a big deal.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 10-10-2019 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post

Also I don't even like Carnage, so I can't be fanboying, I just prefer to keep what's really happening in mind, and what's happening in this comic is Norman thinking he's Cletus with a symbiote that isn't the original, and I one of the tie-ins of Absolute Carnage points out that Cletus and the Carnage symbiote bonded in a perfect way, so, again, it's worth pointing that out because not having the original is a big deal.
    That's the problem: anytime a character gets a victory, everyone wants to downplay it with "well, actually" and then it's diminished. It's ridiculous. Push comes to shove, Peter defeated Norman Osborn with the Carnage symbiote hand to hand. That he didn't accomplish in "Go Down Swinging" and even when beating Carnage as Kasady (not without an assist). So let's stop trying to downplay a character's feat because of "well actually."

That's the problem: anytime a character gets a victory, everyone wants to downplay it with "well, actually" and then it's diminished. It's ridiculous. Push comes to shove, Peter defeated Norman Osborn with the Carnage symbiote hand to hand. That he didn't accomplish in "Go Down Swinging" and even when beating Carnage as Kasady (not without an assist). So let's stop trying to downplay a character's feat because of "well actually."
    I mean, he still defeated someone who has fighting experience and has a symbiote, without using sonics and/or fire, and in the previous issue he even points out that Norman with that symbiote is even on a weight class above his', and he won anyways, it's still a huge deal, and he can pat himself in the back for it; I just don't think it's on the same level as beating Cletus with the actual Carnage symbiote, but still impressive nonetheless.

Anyways, do you guys think that Kindred can see the future? Or maybe even some limited precognition? He inserted that centipede on Norman's ear just to stop him from killing Peter, which he would have little reason to believe he'd have the chance at the time, since his conversation with Norman seems to be happening not long after ASM#24, and that's a while before Absolute Carnage started in-universe, or maybe it's not precognition, but he's aware of what's happening on Earth and just deduced that eventually Norman would get a symbiote...

Astonishing Member

I don't honestly think I care whether the symbiote was weakened or who's controlling it or any of that. Spider-Man beat Carnage. Peter beat Norman Osborn, his arch enemy. Good enough for me. All else is arbitrary.
    I'm not trying to take the win away from Peter (which was beautifully handled by Spencer). Just highlighting the few niggles in the story.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post

Also I don't even like Carnage, so I can't be fanboying, I just prefer to keep what's really happening in mind, and what's happening in this comic is Norman thinking he's Cletus with a symbiote that isn't the original, and one of the tie-ins of Absolute Carnage points out that Cletus and the Carnage symbiote bonded in a perfect way, so, again, it's worth pointing that out because not having the original is a big deal.
    Cletus is that much more dangerous because he bonded 100% with the Carnage symbiote whereas Eddie and Venom are a partnership. Each one having distinct thoughts and feelings. There is no clear distinction between Cletus and his symbiote. It is all Cletus amplified to eleven. God only knows how much stronger he is now.

BANNED

Bet Peter regrets having gone anywhere near the machine at all in secret wars even more now.

I think you might be reaching a bit. Personally for me, I’m just saying that particular encounter didn’t make sense. All in all it happens all the time in comics like I stated before. Power levels fluctuate for the convenience of a story constantly. I’ve never liked that but that’s the nature of comics and it comes with the territory. Spidey knocking out Norman/Carnage doesn’t make sense to me. It felt like an easy way out for Spencer to have Spidey win that encounter physically. Then again I can’t really fault Spencer in the long run because I absolutely hate it when writers get handcuffed by tie ins. I believe it’s ridiculously unfair to them.

Im not one to diminish anything in regards to Spider-Man from an power/ability standpoint. I’m a text book fanboy that’s extremely bias when it comes to the character lol. No shame at all for me. Lol

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

One question remains though; how do the symbiotes get extracted and what will happen to them? Carnage's army was created by maggots that bind with someone's bloodstream. While they can leave as seen with Miles and Jonah, how does one extract all of the remains and the codex without hurting the former host? Also, the only one hundred percent tried and true way of permanently killing symbiotes is to induce them to commit suicide, as was seen at the end of the original Planet of the Symbiotes arc. There is the potential for thousands of symbiotes to still be running around after all is said and done.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Quote Originally Posted by Desmark View Post
    Bet Peter regrets having gone anywhere near the machine at all in secret wars even more now.
    Still love the scene from last Absolute Carnage where the symbiote tells Eddie to tell Peter that the symbiotes have always been around so its not his fault, an Eddie's all "Nah, guilt Spider-Man is better". Guess he was right

Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    I think you might be reaching a bit. Personally for me, I’m just saying that particular encounter didn’t make sense. All in all it happens all the time in comics like I stated before. Power levels fluctuate for the convenience of a story constantly. I’ve never liked that but that’s the nature of comics and it comes with the territory. Spidey knocking out Norman/Carnage doesn’t make sense to me. It felt like an easy way out for Spencer to have Spidey win that encounter physically. Then again I can’t really fault Spencer in the long run because I absolutely hate it when writers get handcuffed by tie ins. I believe it’s ridiculously unfair to them.

Im not one to diminish anything in regards to Spider-Man from an power/ability standpoint. I’m a text book fanboy that’s extremely bias when it comes to the character lol. No shame at all for me. Lol
    Not really reaching. Just calling out stuff that fanbases are guilty for.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Desmark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Still love the scene from last Absolute Carnage where the symbiote tells Eddie to tell Peter that the symbiotes have always been around so its not his fault, an Eddie's all "Nah, guilt Spider-Man is better". Guess he was right
    Eddie's pragmatism in that scene was interesting to read, although his attitude was more like, "Nah, I need the backup, and if it means taking advantage of his overblown guilt complex, so be it."
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Cletus is that much more dangerous because he bonded 100% with the Carnage symbiote whereas Eddie and Venom are a partnership. Each one having distinct thoughts and feelings. There is no clear distinction between Cletus and his symbiote. It is all Cletus amplified to eleven. God only knows how much stronger he is now.
    Yep, on the few times they bother to give each one a different voice, like Venom vs Carnage#2 where they're fighting against Felicia, they just agree with each other to the point the writers might as well not have bothered to give them different voices, in the case of that comic, Cletus said to "Squeeze the perfume outta her" and Carnage replied with "Good idea partner".

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I mean, to be fair, Cletus wouldn't have a symbiote if Peter didn't bring Venom to Earth, and by doing so Cletus can get the Codices from everyone who ever used a symbiote, so it's still indirectly his fault, even if Cletus were to get Grendel eventually.

On the other hand, it was Venom who delayed Knull coming to Earth, by destroying most of Grendel, so I guess it's a 50/50 lol.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Norman's Goblin strength would boost up whatever "bootleg" symbiote Norman has. Spidey also remarks that he couldn't beat Norman in Go Down Swinging. I would say by authorial intent Spider-Man beat Carnage. I see no problem with Spider-Man winning. Peter reached down within himself and drew from adrenaline winning the battle. This is the superhero genre, determination has to win in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    Norman's Goblin strength would boost up whatever "bootleg" symbiote Norman has. Spidey also remarks that he couldn't beat Norman in Go Down Swinging. I would say by authorial intent Spider-Man beat Carnage. I see no problem with Spider-Man winning. Peter reached down within himself and drew from adrenaline winning the battle. This is the superhero genre, determination has to win in the end.
    Thank you! That's literally what I was trying to say but got so much opposition.