Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES: MILLENNIUM #2 Preview/(spoiler) discussion

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Also new Legion of Super-Heroes interview from Bendis

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/books/d...f-super-heroes

Related, the Bendis interview up on the main page has more Jon Kent info:

https://www.cbr.com/interview-brian-...es-millennium/

Including this little bit that I'm very interested in:

We saw a bit of it in Superman, but are we going to see more of Jon's lost years with Jor-El?

Yes. What I don't want to do is keep pushing that button but, when it's very story-effective, 100 percent. There are quite a few missing chapters in there and, may I just say, the most interesting stuff is the time when he was on Earth-3 not fighting the Crime Syndicate but just surviving. He says he was there for quite a while just helping people and I think that's probably Jon's most interesting missing chapter. I think that's when he grew the **** up.
    This is definitely the period I'm most interested in seeing play out. Moreso than the time with Jor El or the volcano. I'm hoping we do get to see a lot more of this.

i'm surprising myself with how pumped I am for this book and his LoSH series. i really never expected THAT to happen, but it has, somehow. And it's a surprisingly good feeling.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post

*Groan* The more Bendis talks about him, the clearer it is that both he and DC editorial have no clue what the appeal of Jon Kent is or how to write the character.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Wow. Lot to unpack here. The JSA. So it's obvious they're coming back officially. And they acknowledge the first Crisis. With the death of Supergirl. The "first" Supergirl. Makes you wonder what they know and what current continuity is now. I also like the fact that they have an explanation for why culture "stagnated" so far in the future. It's clear that's Booster Gold there. Lots of little things to like here. I doubt we'll get any overall questions answered though.
    Assassinate Putin!

I know I'm excited about it. I'm salty that Jon gets the Legion while Clark gets it cut out, but it's past time someone strung all of DC's futures together and put a fresh focus on this element of the DCU.

I doubt the Legion is going to find a foothold in the direct market no matter who is handling it, but man I hope this surprises all of us and sticks.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

This is definitely the period I'm most interested in seeing play out. Moreso than the time with Jor El or the volcano. I'm hoping we do get to see a lot more of this.
    I hope they have more earth 3 adventures. It could be like spiderman Unlimited.i don't think he gets the character that much though. If he is will to skip the growth

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I hope they have more earth 3 adventures. It could be like spiderman Unlimited.i don't think he gets the character that much though. If he is will to skip the growth
    Hard to say. Clearly some of the elements and themes the fans around here adore are things Bendis doesn't see as being as vital to the character, otherwise the age-up wouldn't have happened. But in the tiny, tiny bit that Bendis wrote ten-year-old Jon I thought it seemed in-character. Slightly different voice, but that's just having a different writer. And I think I can see shades of who Jon used to be in the new, older version.

Or maybe Bendis didn't get Jon at all (let's not forget; not liking a direction doesn't necessarily mean the writer doesn't get a character, just that you disagree with a creative choice). I think Bendis would have to give us a detailed break-down of how he sees the character and what makes Jon tick in order for us to really judge in any meaningful way.

Personally, I don't care. Jon's a fresh addition to the DCU; as far as I'm concerned he doesn't have the history to really say with conviction what his character is. He's still new enough for that sorta thing to be malleable. We have some broad stroke personality traits, but damn little that runs any deeper.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Yeah, the way he phrased that...

He really didn't get Jon at all. And why he became so popular. Now he's just another teen character.

I’ve been popping up in other threads about the interview, but I will say that I like that Bendis revealed that we will get more Supersons with Damian joining the Legion. Whether that means he’s getting a new name or is being aged up is to be determined, I’m just mainly glad to have the two back together again.

While I can get why all his changes aren’t great, I do think Bendis has some interesting ideas that I definitely want to see how he handles.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think Bendis would have to give us a detailed break-down of how he sees the character and what makes Jon tick in order for us to really judge in any meaningful way.
    I basically disagree with everything in your post, but i’m going to highlight this bit. I can’t imagine you mean that literally. Because if you do, then damn that is a lot of leeway to give any writer if that’s actually your standard for writing anyone ooc. I don’t think Tom King gave a detailed breakdown on Booster Gold when he wrote him acting like a total psychopath in his Batman run. So would you say there’s nothing screwy about that? Anyway so far doesn’t seem like much of anything makes Bendis’s Jonathan tick. Kid is just unphased and unaffected by everything. Far cry from the boy who was so devastated by accidentally killing his cat.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I’ve been popping up in other threads about the interview, but I will say that I like that Bendis revealed that we will get more Supersons with Damian joining the Legion. Whether that means he’s getting a new name or is being aged up is to be determined, I’m just mainly glad to have the two back together again.
    Obviously I can't say for 100% sure, but I'm thinking that Bendis basically means that Damian will occasionally travel to the future to visit Jon and the Legion, and Jon (and members of the Legion) will be traveling back and forth between the past and the future. I think that's what he meant when he said "and I know we go back and forth a lot."

I don't think Damian will become a member the same way Jon is specifically because in another interview Bendis says that Jon is the one going through "orientation" and will be the one to act as our eyes and ears to learn about the future once he gets around to orientation.

I think it's gonna be something similar to how Clark was allowed to bring Lana or Pete back to the future with him for a visit, and both became honorary members. Or you could think of it like visiting your buddy at his new college. Bendis uses terminology like "freshmen" and "future college" when describing the Legion, so I think that may be an apt parallel. So I doubt he's leaving his current set-up or being aged up. But that does effectively allow for the Super Sons to have adventures in the future and the present, and that's absolutely what I want.

Also, for those hip to my theory on who Leviathan really is: Bendis just said that the Legion does in fact tie into Leviathan in some way, and I think he just dropped a big ass clue on how. It's totally future Damian. Bendis establishes in Event Leviathan that Damian actively poaches new tech regularly. One guess what the little guy does once he's presented with convenient time travel? This is totally how his future self is going to get the tech. It's also likely why he left the Leviathan Easter egg in last issue of Millennium.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 09-30-2019 at 06:22 PM.