Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    1) Immortals Need To Stop
    Mission: Defeat the UQ Holder in its entirety.
    Team: Dr Strange, Hulk, Captain Marvel, Nova, Thor, Jack of Hearts, Wonder Man, Vision, Captain Universe Spiderman, Quicksilver, Adam Warlock and Kang the Conqueror
    Setup: No prep beyond basic parameters of the Numbers, they get warped in on the outskirts of the island base. The UQ get one minute of warning. The warning gives basic parameters of each member of the opposing team. Can they defeat the immortals?!
    The only one I can comment on at all.

I'm assuming that UQ Holder can't use Kirie's Reset and Restart to expand their prep time, which to be fair is within her basic parameters.

Anyway, the initial speed blitz and Juzo's ridiculous ability to cut anything should take out a number of the opposition with Hulk, Thor and Captain Universe Spidey being the ones I'm most uncertain about due to their durability. Even then they'll have trouble pinning down all the immortalities (from uber-regen to a God curse that says lol-nope to anything that isn't a weird "Can cut anything" ability to just a very advance cyborg and a very advance ghost).

Actually is there any general consensus on Spider-man speed when he has the Enigma force?

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Can you provide scans, an issue number, or context on that one? I ask because "takes a hit from someone massively above them who isn't really trying" isn't generally a great feat, since there's usually no way of knowing how much power was put into the attack. See Thor vs the Celestials ruling. Or the whole Magneto/Galactus Secret War nonsense. By contrast, when Beta Ray Bill got blasted by Galactus, it razed the surface on half the planet behind him, which gives us a pretty good benchmark for the damage Bill withstood there. Or when Thanos fought Odin, Odin started off by throwing out attacks that one shot the Silver Surfer.

So I'm just curious where this particular feat falls on that spectrum.
    I have absolutely no issue with that, myself having noted the same thing at times.

It's current Dr. Strange, issue #13.

Start here. Strange is trying to restrain Galactus, using a spell that's roughly on par (if not better) than the Crimson Bands. He manages to do so for all of a few seconds before everything starts going pear-shaped. Holding for a few seconds a Galactus who is actually pissed off and trying to get free is *wiggles hand* something I can picture from Classic Strange, especially since he notes 'I can't manage this, he's going to free himself, and then I die.'

StrangeGalactus1.jpg

Clea shows up and helps him teleport Galactus out. They have an amusing chat. Strange passes out. Later on, they go find Galactus again. This time Clea and Strange throw shields up to withstand his attacks while they try to talk him down.

StrangeGalactus2.jpg

Strange, through this, is basically presented as roughly on par with Clea. Clea, back when she became the boss of the Dark Dimension, was roughly on a par with Classic Strange. No, she didn't have his feats so by Rumbles's Standards yadda yadda. However, she's a Sorcerer Supreme in her own right, runs her dimension, and is perfectly capable of taking it directly to Umar in a straight-up fight as well as, similarly to Stephen, not dying immediately when facing Furnace Face.

...there's another scan of Strange getting zapped by Galen and using multishields to avoid getting murdered, but that one doesn't make the point as well as this one does, as it's more of a 'Galactus says go away, Strange struggles to hold back his casual zap' (which, honestly, is better than Magneto barely surviving a reflexive zap from Galactus, so we have that for comparison purposes... .

Edit: Please ignore the silliness about Galactus not comprehending magic and getting sick from eating it and such. It's like this Marvel writer hasn't fully grasped that Galactus is a cosmic force who would understand this, and that the Earth Dimension does have magic in it as well (otherwise, why would Stephen be a sorcerer?).

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Now, I don't want to sound like I'm underestimating the Baki team but are they really smart enough to think of something so simple and effective? I mean, really?!

I feel like they will default to a segmented tournament setup where each of them holds a key to the door that houses Tokugawa because they must put their strength on the line.
    ...they are dumb, this is true.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 10-15-2019 at 06:18 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

They're getting Strange back to his classic levels ?
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    They're getting Strange back to his classic levels ?
    He's pretty up there right now, and spends his time dealing with Sorcerer Supreme stuff. It's interesting, at least, though once again the writers decided to make a misery out of his love life.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    He's pretty up there right now, and spends his time dealing with Sorcerer Supreme stuff. It's interesting, at least, though once again the writers decided to make a misery out of his love life.
    Hey, an actually decent Dr. Strange is cool in my book. Though I feel like 'a troubled lovelife' is just a low hanging fruit most writers will chase after.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Hey, an actually decent Dr. Strange is cool in my book. Though I feel like 'a troubled lovelife' is just a low hanging fruit most writers will chase after.
    They've beaten that one into the ground multiple times in 20 issues. Not cool.

But the book itself is interesting, even if it does start out with yet another 'Oh noes, my magic!' storyline. :P Bleah.
    Why are we here?

They've beaten that one into the ground multiple times in 20 issues. Not cool.

But the book itself is interesting, even if it does start out with yet another 'Oh noes, my magic!' storyline. :P Bleah.
    Seems like they're just hitting Strange with the cliche bat. >_>

Arx Inosaan

Seems like they're just hitting Strange with the cliche bat. >_>
    At least they haven't taken away all of his magic and forced him to re-learn it all again recently. :P
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    At least they haven't taken away all of his magic and forced him to re-learn it all again recently. :P
    Issues one to five or so of the new series, which stands at issue twenty right now.

Sooooo....
    Why are we here?

Issues one to five or so of the new series, which stands at issue twenty right now.

Sooooo....
    Razzin frazzin stoopin flarpin cliche bat!
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

It has become the norm for Strange. The moment this version gets 'too powerful' OR a new writer takes over, they'll just do it again.

At this point it creates neither drama nor tension; instead, it encourages eye-rolling.

The funny thing is, any ONE of them standing on their own would have probably been good. I've read pretty much all of Stephen's 'Find New Magic' storylines. Interesting ideas, fun stuff, drama...but after so many times, many of which basically ignore how magic worked before that storyline, it's just old and tired.
    Why are we here?

It has become the norm for Strange. The moment this version gets 'too powerful' OR a new writer takes over, they'll just do it again.

At this point it creates neither drama nor tension; instead, it encourages eye-rolling.

The funny thing is, any ONE of them standing on their own would have probably been good. I've read pretty much all of Stephen's 'Find New Magic' storylines. Interesting ideas, fun stuff, drama...but after so many times, many of which basically ignore how magic worked before that storyline, it's just old and tired.
    Strange is old and tired you say? Time for a reboot I think!

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    Strange is old and tired you say? Time for a reboot I think!

Gundam again.jpg
    Why are we here?