Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Default The Batman's Grave thoughts/reactions

Picked up #1 this morning, and it read like a computer program spitting out a response to "what would Warren Ellis writing a straight-take Batman look like?"

To be clear, this is the opposite of a problem. Fav of the week even with the HoXPoX finale.
    Buh-bye

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Haven't had the chance to read it yet, but hopefully will tomorrow. Glad to see you liked it, DoT.

Ah, yet another thing I have to read, I see :3.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Picked up #1 this morning, and it read like a computer program spitting out a response to "what would Warren Ellis writing a straight-take Batman look like?"

To be clear, this is the opposite of a problem. Fav of the week even with the HoXPoX finale.
    What do you mean by straight-take?

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    What do you mean by straight-take?
    There's minimal threatening-to-cut-faces-off boundary pushing like with Moon Knight (which had a very similar feel to this) or 'spandex body condom' style yuks, it's at least for this issue purely and simply Batman solving a mystery in a very Warren Ellis comic sort of way.
    Buh-bye

Well, it was alright. It felt a little too short, but I guess I just need to read this again when the full story is already out.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

There's minimal threatening-to-cut-faces-off boundary pushing like with Moon Knight (which had a very similar feel to this) or 'spandex body condom' style yuks, it's at least for this issue purely and simply Batman solving a mystery in a very Warren Ellis comic sort of way.
    What's a spandex body condom style yuks?
    Also, I haven't read anything Warren Ellis so I don't have a frame of reference ^^ can you compare him to Bob Kane, O'Neil, Miller, Loeb, Snyder, or King?

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    What's a spandex body condom style yuks?
    Also, I haven't read anything Warren Ellis so I don't have a frame of reference ^^ can you compare him to Bob Kane, O'Neil, Miller, Loeb, Snyder, or King?
    Ah, okay; that was a crack at superhero costumes he made in one of his early works. I suppose this is a little King-esque in terms of how it's going to go into Bruce's psychology, but the best prior reference would probably be the Rucka/Brubaker era in terms of the pared-down tone and approach (though more Snyder-style in how it approaches the detective work).
    Buh-bye

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I agree, but in a more negative sense. I still think Planetary is the best Ellis has ever been (with Secret Avengers being second), and this feels too similar to his other work without really providing a lot new. The visualization stuff was fun and very, very Ellis, but the dialogue felt too disjointed to really have an emotional effect.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I agree, but in a more negative sense. I still think Planetary is the best Ellis has ever been (with Secret Avengers being second), and this feels too similar to his other work without really providing a lot new. The visualization stuff was fun and very, very Ellis, but the dialogue felt too disjointed to really have an emotional effect.
    Please refresh my memory of Secret Avengers. Thought that one was on Brubaker.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Ellis wrote a 6 issue run after Brubaker and before Remender.

This book was solid. I'm on board and it's good to have a Batman book on my pull. It's been a while.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Ellis wrote six issues after Brubaker. Each one is basically a one-shot, but all are about different variations of the team fighting the same enemy - the Shadow Council. Each has a different artist - McKelvie, Lark, Maleev, Immonen, etc. It contains one of the best solo Black Widow stories I've read in the modern era.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

The whole empty grave thing with Alfred tending to it everyday was more morbid than anything I think I've ever seen in Batman before but the mystery feel to it was pretty solid.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    The whole empty grave thing with Alfred tending to it everyday was more morbid than anything I think I've ever seen in Batman before but the mystery feel to it was pretty solid.
    I have to agree. I found the grave thing a bit odd, especially if the story is in continuity. Love the mystery even though I won't be getting the rest. Hitch's art doesn't do much for me here.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    I have to agree. I found the grave thing a bit odd, especially if the story is in continuity. Love the mystery even though I won't be getting the rest. Hitch's art doesn't do much for me here.
    I thought it wasn't in continuity?