Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Incredible Member

A review of the latest issue captured what I like most in this series.

"Batman doesn’t come off as this superior force throwing around orders under Ellis’ pen. Instead, he views the people around him as his peers. He knows the value that Alfred and Gordon bring to the table, and he utilizes that. It’s subtle, but it is different."

Full review: https://batman-news.com/2020/06/10/t...rave-7-review/

Anyone else still reading this?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    Anyone else still reading this?
    I'm trade waiting. I know a lot of people have been complaining about pacing issues, but I'm still curious.

I'm sure this is standalone either way, but is this in or out of continuity? I know that was a question before, but has to be answered by now.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I'm trade waiting. I know a lot of people have been complaining about pacing issues, but I'm still curious.

I'm sure this is standalone either way, but is this in or out of continuity? I know that was a question before, but has to be answered by now.
    Probably best read in trade. Pacing is indeed a bit wonky.

Think it's safe to assume it's out of continuity. Or at the very least, is before the current status quo.

Extraordinary Member

Warren Ellis has been hit with accusations of grooming

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Warren Ellis has been hit with accusations of grooming
    Is grooming slang for something bad?

Extraordinary Member

Is grooming slang for something bad?
    Grooming is the practice of an older person using their authority over someone younger than them to mold into being a sexual partner. In many cases, the younger party is a child (Wikipedia's article on grooming is all about that kind) but it can also occur in cases where the younger party is attempting to break into an industry, like Comic books. Older, established figures in the industry have the clout to blacklist newcomers from it entirely, and thus there is a lot of social pressure on the younger party to not anger them, and that gives the older party a level of authority over them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Grooming is the practice of an older person using their authority over someone younger than them to mold into being a sexual partner. In many cases, the younger party is a child (Wikipedia's article on grooming is all about that kind) but it can also occur in cases where the younger party is attempting to break into an industry, like Comic books. Older, established figures in the industry have the clout to blacklist newcomers from it entirely, and thus there is a lot of social pressure on the younger party to not anger them, and that gives the older party a level of authority over them.
    Well that's messed up. Ugh.
    Hope the accusations are wrong, but if not ew.

Extraordinary Member

Well that's messed up. Ugh.
    Hope the accusations are wrong, but if not ew.
    In his statement, while seemingly apologetic, he didn't exactly deny them, either. Which is a shame since he's one of my favorite writers.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    In his statement, while seemingly apologetic, he didn't exactly deny them, either. Which is a shame since he's one of my favorite writers.
    That's the problem I have with his apology. It sure sounds nice but it would sound nice coming from a veteran writer

BANNED

I still say this is the best Batman book currently out there, don't care about any of the other stuff. Guess I'm not woke enough?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    That's the problem I have with his apology. It sure sounds nice but it would sound nice coming from a veteran writer
    I was thinking the same thing.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Wonder what stance DC will take with this due to the recent allegations.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Wonder what stance DC will take with this due to the recent allegations.
    Supposedly they canceled one project he was supposed to be working on, but so far Grave still seems to be going.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I don't want to make excuses for Ellis but did those girls never wonder at any point in time: Maybe he's just using me? Maybe he's dishonest?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    I don't want to make excuses for Ellis but did those girls never wonder at any point in time: Maybe he's just using me? Maybe he's dishonest?
    By putting it even just a little on them you are making an excuse for Ellis though...so why preface it?

It's like saying, "I don't think fascism is right... but maybe society is made up of sheep who really do need a strong authority to lead them." As much as you say otherwise at the start of your statement the end proves otherwise.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 06-28-2020 at 07:55 AM.