Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    By putting it even just a little on them you are making an excuse for Ellis though...so why preface it?

It's like saying, "I don't think fascism is right... but maybe society is made up of sheep who really do need a strong authority to lead them." As much as you say otherwise at the start of your statement the end proves otherwise.
    Its about hopes I guess. You feel something is off but hope its not the case. That's what I wanted to say. You should be aware people are out for themselves. Celebreties especially.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Its about hopes I guess. You feel something is off but hope its not the case. That's what I wanted to say. You should be aware people are out for themselves. Celebreties especially.
    It's softer...but it means the same in the end as it still says, "if only these women had been more self aware then these allegations would never come to light." It just serves to remove culpability from Ellis and normalizes celebrity's bad behavior.

Incredible Member

Eh, really good series, though.

And I actually enjoy the widescreen "cinematic" fights that were complained about earlier (and have become a signature for Ellis).

Negatives -- a little too much deconstructionist crap, particularly from Alfred. Don't get me wrong, Alfred's always been sarcastic but this was dialed up to a 10 here such that he finds the Batman concept to be completely absurd, with his viewpoint somewhat wrapped in woke ideology. ("Why don't you just buy Gotham" type thinking). There was some deconstructionist BS with Gordon, too. We get it -- you don't have Batman phone number!

But otherwise, I liked it. I especially liked the take on Bruce's detective skills, in which he can get into the mind of the victim. Similar to how Will Graham from the Hannibal books can get into the mind of a killer. (This isn't the only analogy that can be used, given all the crime shows that have popped up over the past coupe of decades; I believe the CSI guy could also map and recreate a crime scene in his head. I believe Dexter could, too). I liked it and I like the contrast of Batman being able to only do it from the victim's perspective.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    Eh, really good series, though.

And I actually enjoy the widescreen "cinematic" fights that were complained about earlier (and have become a signature for Ellis).

Negatives -- a little too much deconstructionist crap, particularly from Alfred. Don't get me wrong, Alfred's always been sarcastic but this was dialed up to a 10 here such that he finds the Batman concept to be completely absurd, with his viewpoint somewhat wrapped in woke ideology. ("Why don't you just buy Gotham" type thinking). There was some deconstructionist BS with Gordon, too. We get it -- you don't have Batman phone number!

But otherwise, I liked it. I especially liked the take on Bruce's detective skills, in which he can get into the mind of the victim. Similar to how Will Graham from the Hannibal books can get into the mind of a killer. (This isn't the only analogy that can be used, given all the crime shows that have popped up over the past coupe of decades; I believe the CSI guy could also map and recreate a crime scene in his head. I believe Dexter could, too). I liked it and I like the contrast of Batman being able to only do it from the victim's perspective.

Was ok. Pretty decent series, though I don't think it quite stuck to landing.

For me personally, high points were - the interaction between Bruce and Alfred; the detective work (and its portrayal); most combat scenes and the fact it was a Batman book with no additional Bat-Family characters.

While the theme was fine, think the scale was a bit too grand for my taste. Bat Hounds and whatnot. Also the parallels with the happenings of the real-world at the time (and still) took a bit of the enjoyment out of it.

I actually liked, and to a degree, shared Alfred's view. Not that the Batman concept is "completely absurd" but with his resources, there are arguably more effective ways of executing it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    Was ok. Pretty decent series, though I don't think it quite stuck to landing.

For me personally, high points were - the interaction between Bruce and Alfred; the detective work (and its portrayal); most combat scenes and the fact it was a Batman book with no additional Bat-Family characters.

While the theme was fine, think the scale was a bit too grand for my taste. Bat Hounds and whatnot. Also the parallels with the happenings of the real-world at the time (and still) took a bit of the enjoyment out of it.

I actually liked, and to a degree, shared Alfred's view. Not that the Batman concept is "completely absurd" but with his resources, there are arguably more effective ways of executing it.
    Yeah, I think we mostly agree. The ending was crap but I feel since it was highly *******phed -- as in, could predict it before reading issue 1 -- it landed softer. The quality of the series also diminished as it progressed, especially the last third or so, leading into the crap ending.

Our disagreement, if there is any, is basically our relative grading scales. For me, comics is full of bad to mediocre writers. I like the first two-thirds of this series better than anything I read from King, Tynion, or even Snyder. Give me Warren Ellis Batman over those guys anyday, and so despite the rough final third, I probably give this series a 7.5 out of 10.

Reading the last few posts, I probably will pick up the trade. Any thoughts when that'll drop?

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Reading the last few posts, I probably will pick up the trade. Any thoughts when that'll drop?
    The HC has been out for a few weeks/months.

I liked the ending more than most of you guys. Not a fan of Hitch usually but loved how Ellis mixed in all the easter eggs from different medias and re-invented some surprising rogues.