Default Aquaman's "Death"?

This is embarrassing to ask, considering I read Aquaman currently. In Justice League they mention Aquaman "coming back from dying", and I'm trying to understand what they are talking about since he's alive and well in his own book and has been for a while.

Also, did they ever explain how he ended up on that island with those folks in the Unspoken Water arc? They showed Mera revealing she's pregnant to Arthur, him not reacting well, then she flipped out. What exactly happened to Arthur?

He was believed dead after the Ocean Gods arc in JL. Arthur met the Anti-Monitor who sent him back to Earth which gave him amnesia inbetween JL and KSD’s Aquaman.

It's a little confused, story wise, and I might have missed or misunderstood things.

Aquaman went missing on a presumed one-way trip at the end of the Drowned Earth. He managed to get back to Atlantis and Mera, and spent some time with her without revealing himself. When she told him she was pregnant, he freaked out, causing Mera to freak out and kill him with her powers. Then Mother Shark took pity on his remnants and sent him back to the island of Unspoken Water.

Not my favourite way of plotting: unneeded complexity and instead of examining Arthur's abandonment issues, KSD managed to make it about the hysterics of a pregnant woman…
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    It's a little confused, story wise, and I might have missed or misunderstood things.

Aquaman went missing on a presumed one-way trip at the end of the Drowned Earth. He managed to get back to Atlantis and Mera, and spent some time with her without revealing himself. When she told him she was pregnant, he freaked out, causing Mera to freak out and kill him with her powers. Then Mother Shark took pity on his remnants and sent him back to the island of Unspoken Water.

Not my favourite way of plotting: unneeded complexity and instead of examining Arthur's abandonment issues, KSD managed to make it about the hysterics of a pregnant woman…
    ok thanks so much for that! I was missing the part after her "freak out" and what happened next. I think there was space between that and him meeting Mother Shark that wasn't connecting for me.

BANNED

wtf? that really happened?

Aquaman #49, page 21 if I get my count right.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Ah ha. Now I get it. I didn't realize that Mera's pregnancy reveal and subsequent freakout were flashbacks, predating the amnesia arc.

Still wasn't that great, either way ya read it... *shrug*
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Yep. Flashbacks are really tricky to get right and are a ready source for reader confusion. It's especially so in prose or film; comics at least have some graphical tools to use to signal the change, but here most of the issue was an extended flashback, and it was presented more colourfully than the "main" action. Usually it's the reverse.

BANNED

DC's record of shitting over the romantic pairings continues unabated. This does make me wonder if any other hero has suffered the same fate of dying at the hands of their paramour.

Blimey. It sounds like I was right to drop this title when Abnett departed.
    Give me Brexit or give me death.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

That awful DROWNED EARTH arc.

Ultimate Member

We're in the year 2019, right? This isn't some prank the world is playing on me?

Because God damn, that seems like a plot from the 1950s.