Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I read it. There appears to be an attempt to balance good qualities and not-so-good qualities in Doom. He respects some others but won't put up with any crap or anything approaching disrespect. He has strong examples of pettiness which went a bit too far for me, but that seems to be an aspect of Doom Marvel wants to portray.

Doom's certainly handled better than he was in Slott's story. Although I wish he had been a bit more subtle in his handling of Steve. That was my biggest problem with the issue. I'm on board for the arc anyway. Good start.
    I get why they did it that way, a fast and easy way of saying "This is Doom. See him do bad things to people." But in the day and age of instant communication and more so, wouldn't it be more fun if Doom had destroyed the hapless Steve financially, went after his reputation with some well placed accusations, and then had him have a suitable "accident", all the while planting a slightly fanciful conspiracy theory that Doom was behind Steve's misfortune all along, with just enough truth behind it to look plausible, but crazy enough to keep people guessing. That would have been just so Bad to be good.

Overall, the story was good and I think it's a good start. Glad to hear that the sales were better than expected. Looking forward to more Doom!
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post
    But in the day and age of instant communication and more so, wouldn't it be more fun if Doom had destroyed the hapless Steve financially, went after his reputation with some well placed accusations, and then had him have a suitable "accident"…
    This reminds me in some ways of Doom's Original Sin story where a guy who attempted to blackmail Doom had all of his associates and his ex one by one either die "accidentally" or suffer some form of ruin or tragedy, until he faced Doom himself which is where the story ended. Just goes to show how extensive and subtle Doom's reach could be.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    This reminds me in some ways of Doom's Original Sin story where a guy who attempted to blackmail Doom had all of his associates and his ex one by one either die "accidentally" or suffer some form of ruin or tragedy, until he faced Doom himself which is where the story ended. Just goes to show how extensive and subtle Doom's reach could be.
    I'm reminded of Kingpin's assault on Daredevil at the start of the Redemption arc. That was a job as total as the OS story for Doom. The problem, as I think most of us realize, is not that the payback was too harsh, but that it was too plain and simplistic for Doom. Something to make Steve a blithering idiot on the air would have been much more Doom-worthy.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I read it. There appears to be an attempt to balance good qualities and not-so-good qualities in Doom. He respects some others but won't put up with any crap or anything approaching disrespect. He has strong examples of pettiness which went a bit too far for me, but that seems to be an aspect of Doom Marvel wants to portray.

As to the main plot, it's about freaking time some of Marvel's mega-science dudes tried to fix problems. I wonder if Doom really thinks the system on the Moon won't work or if he's just playing anti-Reed (and Tony). Doom's being framed and that in itself is a good way to go. Putting Vic in a position where he has to react eliminates a lot of the morality problems a villain book. Doom's actions were surprising, but in looking at them, I think that's probably his best bet of absolving himself of this situation.

Doom's certainly handled better than he was in Slott's story. Although I wish he had been a bit more subtle in his handling of Steve. That was my biggest problem with the issue. I'm on board for the arc anyway. Good start.
    I'm glad you liked it. You know I did check out some of the Youtube reviews and a couple of review columns on various sites. But couple of them had a complaint that I thought didn't make much sense. They said the story was " all over the place" or views of that nature. I liked it because there were a lot of things confronting Doom. It reminded me of Byrne's all Doom Fantastic Four #257, the only difference being that the time span was over several weeks instead of just a day or two in Byrne's story.

I was thinking how Doom really makes a lot of sense being wary of the black hole solution. Look how that worked out in "Event Horizon"...it actually opened a gateway to Hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Yes, I remember that story. I imagine that guy is in a pretty bad place too

I might be wrong but I think the scene showing Steve's predicament might be Cantwell's using a bit of dark, twisted bit of comedy. I can't imagine how Doom could get away with kidnapping, false imprisonment and torture that without it becoming an international incident.