Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Doom didn't seem very cool and he sounded off the entire issue.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    I only got to read this yesterday, and you guys have covered everything I wanted to say and more; but how did Steve's co-anchor get a pass when she mentioned the Squirrel Girl incident? Even though Doom cut-off the link someone surely tipped him off to what should be a major faux pas.
    Yeah, she got away with that plus the other guest dared to question Doom's credentials. I guess poor Steve was an example.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Yeah, she got away with that plus the other guest dared to question Doom's credentials. I guess poor Steve was an example.
    I'm glad someone finally said it...

Honestly...this is probably the most interesting thing Marvel has put out in a while...as far as I am concerned.

Well has been a while since the issue got out but just have time to get recently and I have to say it. I liked it, I think that it makes a good job showing that Doom is not a kind man and crossing or annoying him is dangerous, geez just standing too close to him when he is enraged is a risk (poor cameraman). Still he cares for his people and is able to put the safety of his people as priority.

Also I have to add that I totally loved the reference of Boris, poor old Boris he gets forgotten a lot. So was a nice surprise seeing not just that they were giving a good reason about why he hasn't have participation recently but his family got mentioned. Even his "daughter" seem to play a role into Doom staff, she looked as a kind of trusted secretary/ assistant.
    About if she is the mother of Valeria the old sweet heart of Doom I doubt it, she looks too young to be the mother of a 30's something woman, but other person gets mentioned as the one standing besides his father, maybe he is the father of valeria, or maybe another unnamed son/daughter. I really liked to see how close Boris and Doom seems to be playing bets and even joking as much as someone is able to joke with Doom, as has been stated Doom is a dangerous man and a bad comment could cause a (very short) life of pain. Poor steve.

In a negative note as much as I loved seeing Boris again I felt a bit disappointing when Dooms nice place is showed and we can see a blonde wife, I was almost expecting to see Valeria or even Susan but no, just a unknown blonde, and sons?, I was like, "well I suppose we are ignoring that his actual son exist again" Well, nothing is perfect.
    "And you eater of world. May you taste our righteous fire, And choke on it. For my planet's sake, I spit my last breath at thee"

Quote Originally Posted by Coatl View Post
    Well has been a while since the issue got out but just have time to get recently and I have to say it. I liked it, I think that it makes a good job showing that Doom is not a kind man and crossing or annoying him is dangerous, geez just standing too close to him when he is enraged is a risk (poor cameraman). Still he cares for his people and is able to put the safety of his people as priority.

Also I have to add that I totally loved the reference of Boris, poor old Boris he gets forgotten a lot. So was a nice surprise seeing not just that they were giving a good reason about why he hasn't have participation recently but his family got mentioned. Even his "daughter" seem to play a role into Doom staff, she looked as a kind of trusted secretary/ assistant.
    About if she is the mother of Valeria the old sweet heart of Doom I doubt it, she looks too young to be the mother of a 30's something woman,
    "30-something?"

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    You don't have to explain anything to me. I just wanted to be sure that the person complaining about "Alternative Facts," was actually indulging in Trumpian "What About Itism" deflection. It doesn't matter what Doom did in the past.
    of course it matters. he was only in a position to be interviewed because of his resume (fake as it might be).

My point was, just like shooting the villain into the sun, or building your island nation in another country's waters, or giving the AI all your passwords, etc. -- opening a black hole on the moon falls into stupidly asking to be screwed over territory.
    completey irrelevant. the criticism might mean something coming from an actual expert. but i've read enough doctor doom to know that he's not a conventional scientist. i definitely wouldn't describe him as careful. his armor is powered in-part by magic. we've seen his dealings in magic backfire on him time and time again; to say nothing of the colossal blunder in exchanging sex for sorcery lessons from Morgan Lefey.

And it was ME, not a fictional character, asking if anyone else thought the idea of putting a black hole on the moon and was a good idea.
    i don't see you as being any more qualified as Doom.

About if she is the mother of Valeria the old sweet heart of Doom I doubt it, she looks too young to be the mother of a 30's something woman, but other person gets mentioned as the one standing besides his father, maybe he is the father of valeria, or maybe another unnamed son/daughter. I really liked to see how close Boris and Doom seems to be playing bets and even joking as much as someone is able to joke with Doom, as has been stated Doom is a dangerous man and a bad comment could cause a (very short) life of pain. Poor steve.

In a negative note as much as I loved seeing Boris again I felt a bit disappointing when Dooms nice place is showed and we can see a blonde wife, I was almost expecting to see Valeria or even Susan but no, just a unknown blonde, and sons?, I was like, "well I suppose we are ignoring that his actual son exist again" Well, nothing is perfect.
    I think Valeria was (or should I say "is"?) pretty close to Victor's age, maybe a couple of years younger. The reason I am doubtful about her status is it's never been clear to me who Reed and the Molecule Man put into the rebuilt multiverse. Steve and Tony fought each other to the death and they obviously came back. The young Wakandan students we saw during the first depicted incursion in New Avengers came back. I think the door is open to just about anyone being alive that was dead before. All it takes is some hand wavy writing and they're back.

I'm a bit wary of those visions Doom is having in this version of "It's a Wonderful Life", which is what the title Pottersville is referring to. Since Mephisto is on deck to appear soon, I wouldn't be surprised if this is just his opening gambit.

I do hope Cantwell brings Kristoff into the mix eventually. We haven't got a status check at all on him after we last saw in in New Avengers, just before the Molecule Man took Doom along on that journey to learn the truth about the incursions. Writers seem to forget about him a lot. I got to talk to Jonathan Hickman towards the beginning of this Fantastic Four run and once again this past spring at C2E2 and he liked using Kristoff and couldn't understand why more writers don't use him. If he has appeared somewhere in another comic since SW, I haven't seen it.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    of course it matters. he was only in a position to be interviewed because of his resume (fake as it might be).

completey irrelevant. the criticism might mean something coming from an actual expert. but i've read enough doctor doom to know that he's not a conventional scientist. i definitely wouldn't describe him as careful. his armor is powered in-part by magic. we've seen his dealings in magic backfire on him time and time again; to say nothing of the colossal blunder in exchanging sex for sorcery lessons from Morgan Lefey.

i don't see you as being any more qualified as Doom.
    ????

I'm not sure where this is coming from, but again, you aren't responding to what I actually wrote. And I'm mystified that you think a fictional character like Doom who is at the mercy of writers telling his story, is more / equally qualified than I, a real person, who is offering a well known observation that writers give characters stupid ideas / actions to advance their plot or make their main character shine.

As for my other "qualifications" I've been reading comics since 1972, and I've been a Doom fan since reading his arc in Sub-Mariner 47 - 49 and Stan Lee's book, "Bring on the Bad Guys." I bought Stan's book, and Emperor Doom and Triumph And Torment off the rack when they were first published. So, I'm pretty sure I more than "qualify" to offer an observation on the character and the tropes in comics and writing. So cease your negative attempts to gate keep.

Finally, there's another major difference between a fictional character like Doom, and a real person like myself.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

"30-something?"
    Yes, why?

All depictions I have seen of valeria she is a young/middle age woman, Unthinkable, House of M, several memories in another issues, all them.

As Iron Maiden points she should be close to Victor age or even a bit younger since we have seen memories of both playing together in their youth.

I think Valeria was (or should I say "is"?) pretty close to Victor's age, maybe a couple of years younger. The reason I am doubtful about her status is it's never been clear to me who Reed and the Molecule Man put into the rebuilt multiverse. Steve and Tony fought each other to the death and they obviously came back. The young Wakandan students we saw during the first depicted incursion in New Avengers came back. I think the door is open to just about anyone being alive that was dead before. All it takes is some hand wavy writing and they're back.
    Well I think she is still death, she wasn't killed during/because the incursions or in recent years, she was killed when Franklin was like 5 or 6 that's time enough to every other character to reach adulthood (we were talking in the FF theme about how fun is that). Personally I think that her suld is still in hell being tortured for kicks and would like to see an history of Doom facing that and trying to save her, let him face demons for a woman who is not his mother.

I'm a bit wary of those visions Doom is having in this version of "It's a Wonderful Life", which is what the title Pottersville is referring to. Since Mephisto is on deck to appear soon, I wouldn't be surprised if this is just his opening gambit.
    Well now that you mention it, that's a possibility, I of course was pointing fingers to Kang and his temporal mess but Mephisto wanting to get back at Doom is highly probably

I do hope Cantwell brings Kristoff into the mix eventually. We haven't got a status check at all on him after we last saw in in New Avengers, just before the Molecule Man took Doom along on that journey to learn the truth about the incursions. Writers seem to forget about him a lot. I got to talk to Jonathan Hickman towards the beginning of this Fantastic Four run and once again this past spring at C2E2 and he liked using Kristoff and couldn't understand why more writers don't use him. If he has appeared somewhere in another comic since SW, I haven't seen it.
    Yes, I can only hope at this point. I was expecting at least a wallpaper mention. To be honest him roasting Namor was one of my favorite points of that event even when I really like Namor.
    Last edited by Coatl; 10-16-2019 at 11:35 AM.
    "And you eater of world. May you taste our righteous fire, And choke on it. For my planet's sake, I spit my last breath at thee"

Sigh, Are you looking for a prize to be confrontational and rude against every other member of the forum?

You can play your little game alone, I want to talk with those who has actually something interesting to say.
    QFT.

The picture he posted of Valeria is from Unthinkable but it was always suspicious to me why she is drawn to be older than Doom. She is Boris's granddaughter so she's had got to younger than that Unthinkable panel shows, which is the only one that does that. Here are some more recent examples of her in Books of Doom. Victor doesn't have bags under the eyes and wrinkles. Neither does Reed or Ben when he is in human form. And they were all at university at the same time.

Attachment 88355

^fake reality created by Wanda Maximoff. that is an ideal version of Valeria meant to appease Doom.

Attachment 88356

^a flashback to an earlier time.

Attachment 88357

a stray panel where nothing can be discerned visually. impress everyone and post the page where Doom enters her store. hell, why not post the entire page and let people judge for themselves.

Last edited by Michael Watkins; 10-16-2019 at 12:40 PM.

Inconsistency in art and ages in Marvel books! What a scoop!

Also glad to see that your obvious interest in the new Doom book will lead you to spend your money each month to be able to talk about it always so wisely. It's such a commitment, that truly honors you...

No need to answer btw!

Too late edit.... : Pardon my french: I meant reply, not answer - same word en francais.
    Last edited by Abe; 10-17-2019 at 11:40 AM.
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    Inconsistency in art and ages in Marvel books! What a scoop!
    it wasn't a scoop. it's comic book canon. it shouldn't have bothered anyone. and i see no inconsistency. we didn't see much of Valeria prior to Doom wearing her skin as a suit. are you similarly denying that she looks older than 30 in the Unthinkable storyline?

Also glad to see that your obvious interest in the new Doom book will lead you to spend your money each month to be able to talk about it always so wisely.
    clunky sentence aside, in what reality did i boycott a fictional character's appearances? i spend money quite recklessly.

It's such a commitment, that truly honors you...
    who are you, again?

No need to answer btw!
    what a strange thing for someone who didn't ask a question to say. maybe you really did need me to answer.

BANNED

The whole unthinkable storyline seemed a edgy fan fic. Imagine Doom providing Reed with a method to defeat him by berating himself. Sounds pretty childish.

BANNED

it wasn't a scoop. it's comic book canon. it shouldn't have bothered anyone. and i see no inconsistency. we didn't see much of Valeria prior to Doom wearing her skin as a suit. are you similarly denying that she looks older than 30 in the Unthinkable storyline?
    Doom is unique amongst Marvel's characters and perhaps all of fiction as well since he has a built-in retcon mechanism that negates little incidents like this. You see, everything stupid or out of character penned by a Marvel writer is eventually attributed to a Doombot instead. In this manner Doom has maintained his dignity as a character over the decades, when all other Marvel heroes have been twisted beyond recognition. So go ahead and try to find obscure single issue stories to use against Doom, it's not going to work.