Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    I love this panel. It makes Doom's visage look so well...handsome somehow.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I agree. Larocca's detail on the mask is more minimal than others have done. It does make it look somehow more human.

On another note, I really loved the flashes of Doom using magic, most effectively in the fight with Union Jack and the mercenaries. Plus in that scene above, he is floating while doing a little private meditation.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 10-11-2019 at 09:52 AM.

It's not minor imo, but it's not worth arguing over either, it's done a lot in comics and no one seems to care. It's laziness mixed with time constraints. Ironically, Ribic does it to himself in some issues of Secret Wars, plopping exact copies of drawings from earlier panels/pages into later ones to cheat and save time. Larocca also definitely shopped some of that furniture in the study page and redrew it, which I don't have a problem with.
    As an anecdote, I remember a panel from SW #5 (or 6?) showing the Maker head/face, that was a straight copy-n-paste from his work in Ultimates :P

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Have you ever read Books of Doom....it pretty much covers that.
    I’ll have to go over it again. Thanks Iron Maiden.

Now that I’ve read this, the last panel says Doom is not from here; that he’s in an alternative Earth.

I’m wondering why this isn’t a Big Event, because this looks like it has huge crossover potential. Because we don’t know what’s going on right now, I’m guessing things are spiking out of control because of the Black Hole pushing back for using it to discard toxic waste. Remember how flippant the techs were about discussing it? Then BOOM. I could also guess that with Kangs sudden “removal” from Doom in mid-sentence, that Time and Space displacement was mixing up a lot of alternative universes together. I think this must be all Black Panthers fault for using an Infinity Stone after Secret Wars.
    Last edited by jackolover; 10-09-2019 at 11:06 PM.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I’ll have to go over it again. Thanks Iron Maiden.
    To tell the truth IIRC there really wasn't a scene where Victor voices his reasons for creating it.....it's one of the projects he creates while working covertly with the U.S military.

Things I liked...

Actually liked the art. I remember some of LaRoccas stuff from years ago. He just seems to get better as the years go by.

I like the possibilities this issue opens up for future stories. The dialogue with Kang was intriguing and a throw back to some of the early issues of FF featuring Doom. I feel like Dooms response to military forces seemed right for someone who genuinely cares for the people of his kingdom. I get the feeling age old questions about Dooms relationship to Kang will finally be answered.

Just glad to see Doom back in all his awesomeness.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

To tell the truth IIRC there really wasn't a scene where Victor voices his reasons for creating it.....it's one of the projects he creates while working covertly with the U.S military.
    That’s true. On reading this again, it tells of Dooms stubbornness and beginnings of his callous murderings. The Time Machine was more a theoretical dalliance, but he never used it like his other weapons, the Doombots. It wasn’t until he kidnapped Sue Storm and blackmailed the FF to bring him Blackbeard’s treasure chest, that he used the Time Machine. It does appear that it had nothing to do with Kang, or being a means to get his mother back, but, it could have allowed Victor to go to the past to stop his mother using the demon?
    Last edited by jackolover; 10-10-2019 at 02:26 AM.

Amazing Member

So excited this series is happening. Going to read issue 1 thoroughly this morning. Only had time to briefly glance at it yesterday due to responsibilities.

i liked this story. it portrayed Doom as a petulant fascist who pines for a family that he can never have because of his horrible personality. wish that more had been going on in the story though. zero action unless you count that nonsensical appearance of Agent Zero. does anyone really believe that he wouldn't have gone for a headshot?

BANNED

Pretty good first issue. Not perfect, but then again very few writers can nail the Doom dialogue right out of the gate. Few of his comments here and there were pretty off-character imo.

Art was nice too. Overall I enjoyed this more than the recent Strikeforce #1 and Ghost Rider #1, which I was equally excited for.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

What a wonderful issue! I enjoyed it immensely. It's so nice to have a second book at Marvel I'm actually looking forward to reading (stares forlornly at my decimated Marvel pull list). Loved the art and for the most part the writing. Great plot and characterization -- though I do have a few tiny tiny complaints / questions. I LOVED the guests also. UNION JACK! Thank you! And Kang and Agent Zero. Not the usual suspects. Though I DO want a Namor appearance. He can offer him sanctuary in Atlantis! After all, Doom did the same for him and his in strangely similar circumstances.

I enjoyed the issue and I'm very happy to see Doom in a new series. The opening international intrigue and mysterious visit by Kang are great ways to kick off a fun story arc. Doom's dialogue felt really off to me though, he speaks throughout this issue in a way that doesn't quite feel like Doom. I hope they sharpen up that dialogue for him. I also don't love Larocca's art and you can see some panels with Doom where he's lifted the art straight from Esad Ribic's work on Secret Wars.
    I didn't see anything glaringly copied so I will have to disagree there. Those full page spreads were pretty spectacular IMO.

I'm OK with Doom's dialogue. I liked that he getting a bit quippy with the Brexit slam at Union Jack. I think he was demonstrating more of a sense of humor because things were running pretty smoothly in Latveria now that he is monarch again. There was no current conflict he was wrapped up in that he considered to be worrisome. He dismissed Symkaria's current stance as something inconsequential.
    This is one my of my very small eyebrow raisers. For the most part, I think Cantwell did well with the Doom dialog, I think the Brexit line wasn't exactly Doom's style. OTOH, I did LOL!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Any guesses on who is setting Doom up?
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Boris or Petra probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Doom is setting Doom up. they aren't going to allow someone else to make him look like a fool. it's probably another reality version of him that the Council of Reeds missed. i kind of want it to be Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Ying Ko View Post
    Boris or Petra probably.
    Noooooooo! Not Boris!

I have to admit, I loved seeing Boris mentioned, and his kids stepping up for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Doom is setting Doom up. they aren't going to allow someone else to make him look like a fool. it's probably another reality version of him that the Council of Reeds missed. i kind of want it to be Steve.
    Please. Steve is clearly an idiot. Not just an ant, but a PICNIC ant.

Another Doom is a possibility. But I hope not.

I'm wondering if it is someone from Sym(can't remember how to spell it) next door?
    Last edited by Reviresco; 10-10-2019 at 06:51 AM.