Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I'm not surprised. Stuff like My Hero Academia is so straight forward, action packed and earnest it's crazy. I can see why it's so popular. I would pay money to see reaction videos of Tom King reading it.
    Yeah, and there is One Punch-Man too... Manga is doing the Superhero genre better than Superhero comics now...

Of course, manga still tries to tell a coherent story with coherent characters, even if they are bizarre... American superhero comics have become disjointed and incoherent, everything gets soft-retconned every few months, characters and stories changing inside out...

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Manga is easy to get into and is not a never ending story that gets reset every few years.

Mutant Bat on Speed Force Fuzzy Barbarian's Avatar

Accidental post
    My babies: Wally West, Dick Grayson, Cassandra Cain, Bucky Barnes, Jamie Madrox, Cyclops, Kate Bishop, Stargirl, Jay Garrick, Jon Kent, Booster Gold, Richard Rider, Kyle Rayner, Tinya Wazzo, Magik, Thor

Regular pulls:
    Doomsday Clock, The Green Lantern
    Fallen Angels, Guardians of the Galaxy, Silver Surfer: Black, Venom, X-Men

Trade-waiting: Animosity, Black Panther, Daredevil, Deathstroke, Hawkman, Saga, Skyward, Snotgirl

Mutant Bat on Speed Force Fuzzy Barbarian's Avatar

As has been said, the price is a big point. Many casual readers won't go to a comic store when the book store has the trade, sometimes at a cheaper price. At the very least, Marvel and DC could implement what Image did a while back and have the first trade at a cheaper price. It should also be noted that manga piracy is much, *much* more common than comic piracy and manga still outsells comics lots of the time.

Manga also doesn't have to worry about continuity. I mean, a new reader for superhero comics needs to worry about where to start, how self-referential they can be and potential crossovers and events. Compare this to Saga, which is still selling well in trade, where you jump in at volume 1 with no prior knowledge. Same with most manga unless it's a sequel or spin-off. Superhero comics are just not very welcoming, and fans also don't help when they gatekeep.

People going to movies for their superheor fix is a point that can be argued too. Manga is more frequently directly adapted into anime, as opposed to comics which are given loose adaptations. That hasn't stopped the big Shonen manga like Naruto and One Piece from doing well with manga, and anime is much easier to view for free than superhero movies in a timely manner, and at decent quality.
    My babies: Wally West, Dick Grayson, Cassandra Cain, Bucky Barnes, Jamie Madrox, Cyclops, Kate Bishop, Stargirl, Jay Garrick, Jon Kent, Booster Gold, Richard Rider, Kyle Rayner, Tinya Wazzo, Magik, Thor

Regular pulls:
    Doomsday Clock, The Green Lantern
    Fallen Angels, Guardians of the Galaxy, Silver Surfer: Black, Venom, X-Men

Trade-waiting: Animosity, Black Panther, Daredevil, Deathstroke, Hawkman, Saga, Skyward, Snotgirl