Mighty Member

Default Songs/singers that "saved your life"

... or your sanity. Or someone else's life and sanity.?

The relationship with my girlfriend was going downhill back in 2013 and we both knew it. On TV one morning I stumbled onto a silly Japanese pop-song : Candy candy by Kyary Pamyu Pamyu. It made me happy for the first time in ages and I was quick to buy all her CDs and DVDs on my next trip to Japan and they kept me going when the relationship and friendship we had faded away. A couple of years later KPP was famous enough to have her own roller coaster ride in Osaka. I altered my itinerary in Tokyo when it heard it was only on for one more day, getting off the plane and jumping the first bullet train from Tokyo to Osaka. Waiting in line for the ride the next morning there was a Japanese guy in cosplay as a zombie Umbrella-corp security guard (resident evil) I got talking with him, we went on the ride together plus a few other atttractions, exchanged emails and have caught up with each other at the funpark a number of times since 2016.

I guess KPP saved my life twice!

And YOUR story?

The Fallen album by Evanescence.

I was at a low point in my life having just gotten divorced (not by my choice, I got dumped for someone else). I'd often go to movies when I was depressed so I went to see Daredevil. I'd never heard of Evanescence or the two songs that were featured prominently in the movie but the first thing I did afterwards was get on the internet and find out who they were by. That album then became my non stop listen for about the next year as thematically a lot of the songs on it are about broken relationships and trying to get better.

As a bonus it opened up a whole new world of music for me. My love of that album led me to try out various bands that were reported to be similar sounding which is how I found bands like Nightwish and Within Temptation who are my two favorite bands now. I'd never have heard of either of these bands otherwise as they are largely unknown in the United States.

Mighty Member

(thanks) I remember my eldest sister was fond of 1988 UK novelty song "Stutter rap", a beastie boys send-up by Morris Minor and the majors. She had to do all-night shifts at a hospital to look after her baby daughter and myself and this silly song got her through them...

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

While I'm not sure it saved my life, my go-to 3AM Dark Night of the Soul record is Laughing Stock by Talk Talk.

It's been called calm and mellow by some people, but it isn't really. There's a tension to it. Enough of an edge that the music sounds like it's going through the same thing I am. And beating it. I can't explain it any better than that.