Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Amazing Member

Come on guys. Give em a break. Coming into this as an adult in 2019 I don’t think starting at GS1 is very helpful.

As someone noted I’d start with a sampling of Greatest Hits.

Dark Phoenix - Days of Future Past - God Loves Man Kills as representative of Claremont era.

Then go to Morrison’s New Xmen followed by Whedon’s Astonishing.

These are nice complete stories that nicely build on each other and provide the basis of what Xmen was and how it stands today.

If you are still into it you can just come on board with House of X while filling a few gaps here and there to taste. (My personal favorite is the Paul Smith era of Xmen)

What is house of X and Powers of X minis? Are they something I can jump into?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

BANNED

Two intertwining miniseries by Hickman that kick off the current era. Theyre designed to be good jumping on points because they start off new storylines but they rely on continuinty a lot. Not to the point you won't understand them but you might not enjoy them as much as if you had prior knowledge of certain references. Ultimately everyone has to jump in at a certain point and we were all a little lost at the beginning so if you don't feel like going through 300+ back issues you might as well start with this.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    What is house of X and Powers of X minis? Are they something I can jump into?
    Yes you can jump on I think.

House of X and Powers of X are essentially a single 12 issue miniseries divided into two interconnected series. House of X is linear and present focused while Powers of X (pronounced Powers of Ten) looks at parallel storylines across multiple timelines (past-present-future).

There's going to be a collected TPB in a month so if you can get that at the local library then nothing like it.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

you know I recently decided to do this journey (about a year ago lol) but for me I wanted to start from the stan Lee days (uncanny xmen 1). it gave me greater appreciation for the best of the comics which was Claremont. so I would highly recommend starting there and working your way up. admittedly at times it is hard to read but I think it's worth it (^_^)
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

I lucked out. A friend of mine has the Xmen cd Rom. He is letting me borrow it so I am going to start from the beginning. I am a huge fan of Early Marvel and I want to get into the history. I also went to my local comic shop and got Xmen the Hidden Years. I know a couple of you warned me away from that but I am a fan of the original five so I am going to give it a shot. I am also going to keep going with X Force.

Is the House of X and Powers of X still going on? I would like to get them as A Lot of people have said good things about them. But I want to wait till the event is over and buy them all at once.

Thanks again for all the help you all have given me.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

I lucked out. A friend of mine has the Xmen cd Rom. He is letting me borrow it so I am going to start from the beginning. I am a huge fan of Early Marvel and I want to get into the history. I also went to my local comic shop and got Xmen the Hidden Years. I know a couple of you warned me away from that but I am a fan of the original five so I am going to give it a shot. I am also going to keep going with X Force.

Is the House of X and Powers of X still going on? I would like to get them as A Lot of people have said good things about them. But I want to wait till the event is over and buy them all at once.

Thanks again for all the help you all have given me.
    They ended this week, with X-men #1 coming next week.

I just read Xmen 12 and in it Cerebro reacted to Juggernaunt. But I have read other stories with him in it and he is not a mutant. So why did Cerebro react to him?

I am on Xmen 33 and I am loving reading about the orignal five. A couple of the stories I thought were kind of lame like the one with the Locust. But over all I am enjoying them.

I also just started Alpha Flight. A few years back I read the Xmen story from Clermonts run where the Xmen were returning from Japan and Alpha Flight ambushed them. I fell in love with the characters.

SO for a long time I stayed away from the xbooks. Too many mutants, confusing story lines. I was just turned off. But I have decided to give the Xmen a chance. I am currently reading the 90s Xforce, the one with Cable and am up to issue 19. I am enjoying it so so. Though I dont know what a High Lord is or why is such a big deal that Sam is one. Also is Cable Scott Summers son?
    As for the Xmen I am going to start at the beginning with the original five. I have read a couple of issues a few years ago and enjoyed them. I like Angel and Beast.

So since I am giving the Xmen and other Xbooks another shot with an open mind is there anything I need to know? Anything I should be looking out for?

Thanks in advance for all the help.
    Everyone gave great suggestions so welcome aboard, hope you survi... welcome aboard.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Everyone gave great suggestions so welcome aboard, hope you survi... welcome aboard.
    Thanks. I am really enjoying what I have read so far.

My advice is to not get hung up on any one point of continuity or detail. Your project is so massive, it's be like focusing on one snowflake in a blizzard right now for you.

Actually if it sticks out as weird to you, it probably did to the audience at the time and a writer later on probably retconned it anyway.