Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default Forbes Says Comic Readers Moving Away From Superhero Comics!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robsalk...U#9a7ba924d680

Capankirby posted this in the marvel forum but this also effects DC so i'll post it here. Forbes shows comic readers are moving away from superhero comics and monthly floppies and are buying trades and graphic novels as well as mangas of non hero comics.

So we are back in the 1950s again. In the 50s everything sold better then heroes. They still had superman, batman, wonder woman and captain marvel but dell comics and ec comics (before the comic code) ruled. Disney comics, west comics, space comics, teen romance, archie type comics, scary and crime comics were kings. Also comics for a time outsold books in America! Uncle scrooge outsold superman. batman and wonder woman at the time.

Look at the newest smile book. It came in first place on the book charts and that dogman kids trade made the top 10 also! My little niece knows the smile books and bone and i'm shocked by this the smurfs trades are hits at my library in the kids section!

One piece may pass batman in sales and if you count the japan shonen jump it has passed batman in sales!

https://www.comicsbeat.com/raina-tel...-us-this-week/

https://comicbook.com/anime/2019/03/...-record-manga/
    Last edited by Gaastra; 10-09-2019 at 05:43 PM.

BANNED

Might not have much politics in them.

People like variety.

Yes, CSI is good, but if every tv show was a procedural forensics cop show to the point where people associated the television medium only with CSI-type shows then eventually they'll get tired of it.
    But by then the idea that television can't be anything but CSI-type shows, because that's all there had been for decades, would cause companies to hesitate trying other genres.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    People like variety.

Yes, CSI is good, but if every tv show was a procedural forensics cop show to the point where people associated the television medium only with CSI-type shows then eventually they'll get tired of it.
    But by then the idea that television can't be anything but CSI-type shows, because that's all there had been for decades, would cause companies to hesitate trying other genres.
    This kind of makes me think of how the "film blockbuster" genre is beginning to be dominated more and more by Superhero films.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Also beginning and ends.

I find that very hard to believe.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Of course. If you read single issues that are designed to be part of a larger story, and it took a month to read the next part and every time it's only about 20 pages, then it makes more sense to wait until the whole story comes out. While in the meantime, watch TV, play games, or... do anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This kind of makes me think of how the "film blockbuster" genre is beginning to be dominated more and more by Superhero films.
    and I'm already bored with them

When Marvel and DC drop there single issue on going
    Books to 30% Super Hero and the other 70%
    Other forms of entertainment and (this is the
    Most important part) actually stick with it,
    Than I will believe it.
    Other wise, while it may be true readers
    Prefer complete stories and more toward
    Ones outside Super Heroes,
    Marvel and DC have learned (my words)
    That they are only really the best at one
    Thing and that is what continues to
    Pay the bills...... Super Heroes ( or
    Rather the ones the creators before
    The current flock established over
    The course of a few generations ).

I can see manga certainly being on there. As it encompasses just about every genre there is, there's basically something for everyone with it. Even superheroes (My Hero Acadamia being one of the more prominent).

Okay, but are less readers buying comics or are more people buying manga and kids books?
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

The latter. It's superheroes that are selling less, not comics in general.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    It's not about politics. It's about whom are the comics aimed for. Most manga and child comics are appealing for childs and pre-teens and teens. Most cape comics, are created and aimed for late teens, young adults and adults.

I woudn't give my Moon Knight or my Transmetropolitan to my 6yo cousin, for example. Moon Girl, yeah, maybe.

It's probably why DC created these new comic books in Ink and Zoom.

The next thing is making them available in places where the kids go and read, or go and buy.

And then, you get new readers that may stay after their teens.

I mean; every child loves superheros. It's just that they can't read ours.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 10-09-2019 at 08:47 PM.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

There's a reason why DC has placed so much emphasis on Zoom and Ink. Superheroes may rule the Direct Market but manga and YA/ kids graphic novels rule the bookstore market. There's a decent audience for more literary graphic novels in bookstores too, I think, but nowhere near as big. The YA graphic novels that DC is putting out is a particular stroke of genius as they work, first and foremost, as YA graphic novels but they have enough superhero content to pique the interest of their young audiences to try out more superhero comics.

Honestly, if there's one area that DC is just leaps and bounds ahead of Marvel right now, it's that while Marvel mostly seems content with squeezing every last cent out of their dedicated but shrinking market by flooding the direct market, DC is actually looking to the future and trying their best to tap bookstore and even convenience-store markets.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

In adition.

This is an opinion that is born from my long timed love of japanese fictional works (I'm not an expert or anything).

As far as I recall, most high selling mangas (excluding big classic hits like Akira) are regular ongoings that don't have a fixed end and keep being published and published, a trade a month or every four with 4 to 7 issues per trade (depends on the size of the chapter).

Think about One Piece or Attack on Titan. Some of them even are starting to expand their universes with spin offs that share a common universe (well, in fact this has been a thing for franchises like Gundam for a long while ago. But they're not that big outside Japan). And they still sell a lot. And are very much like superhero comics even if they're not exactly the same.

So it's not a matter of not having an ending or being self-contained or, well, you can argue with the spin offs, an only author behind.

It's a matter of how they're written and drawn, and where their emphasis is put over. They are, too, more varied in grenre. That's true, but adventure shounen manga is still one of the most popular everywhere (alongside with romantic shounen snd shoujo). All of them aim to a pre-teen, teen and young-adult reader base.

They, well, tell stories that are more liked in ways more easy to read, I guess.

And are probably cheap. That sure helps. But they're cheap too; no pretty colours.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 10-09-2019 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    In adition.

This is an opinion that is born from my long timed love of japanese fictional works (I'm not an expert or anything).

As far as I recall, most high selling mangas (excluding big classic hits like Akira) are regular ongoings that don't have a fixed end and keep being published and published, a trade a month or every four with 4 to 7 issues per trade (depends on the size of the chapter).

Think about One Piece or Attack on Titan. Some of them even are starting to expand their universes with spin offs that share a common universe (well, in fact this has been a thing for franchises like Gundam for a long while ago. But they're not that big outside Japan). And they still sell a lot. And are very much like superhero comics even if they're not exactly the same.

So it's not a matter of not having an ending or being self-contained or, well, you can argue with the spin offs, an only author behind.

It's a matter of how they're written and drawn, and where their emphasis is put over. They are, too, more varied in grenre. That's true, but adventure shounen manga is still one of the most popular everywhere (alongside with romantic shounen snd shoujo). All of them aim to a pre-teen, teen and young-adult reader base.

They, well, tell stories that are more liked in ways more easy to read, I guess.

And are probably cheap. That sure helps. But they're cheap too; no pretty colours.
    On that same note;

Dragon Ball franchise. One of the most well known manga/anime there is. With Dragon Ball Super, the series expanded into deity levels (for the series) as well as hitting the multiverse (11 other universes, not counting alternate timelines, with each universe having a "fraternal twin"). Universe 11, for example, had a group of people somewhat similar in purpose to the Justice League (though more uniform). Another universe that was a parody of magical girl anime (Sailor Moon for example). Even Universe 7's (main universe with Goku and company) own twin, Universe 6 with its own Saiyans (inherently good people), Nameks like Piccolo, and their own Earth.

And though Toriyama himself isn't writing everything for the manga/anime himself (the details, at least), he does play a key role in it.